All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone else have the constipation-type IBS?
      #5801 - 04/11/03 03:52 PM
Judi1941

Reged: 04/11/03
Loc: Coppell, Texas, USA

I have been plagued by IBS for many years. I am now being treated with Zelnorm. I still have to be very careful what I eat. Does anyone else share this type of constipation-prevalent IBS? Even with Zelnorm, sometimes my stomach is so bloated I can barely fasten my pants. Help!!!!! bjhomeyer@attbi.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does EVERYONE have C? new
      #5803 - 04/11/03 03:58 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

it seems like C overrides D in IBS types. Geesh, am i the only one with ibs-d?:(

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Does anyone else have the constipation-type IBS? new
      #5807 - 04/11/03 04:09 PM
GEA

Reged: 04/06/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi Judi,
Yes, I have it too. I'm really pretty miserable with it. I suspect I have had it for a long time without knowing it had a name. I am taking 4 Tablespoons of Citracel and I still am somewhat stopped up. I have had D a few times in the last year, but then after that stops. I'm back to C. I have to watch everything I eat, and sometimes it just doesnt seem to matter how careful I am, I still get sick. I've cut out all the 'fun' foods trying to just stay out of misery, but no luck so far. Hang in there, at least we have all these great people, and this great board! It really helps me to read these posts every day now,...gives me a lot of comfort. Hope it helps you some, too.
~GEA

--------------------
~GEA~

#5809 - 04/11/03 04:13 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Judi - I have C but not really bad. I can tolerate a lot of food that others with C cannot. I'm very lactose intolerant tho and any dairy gives me instant gas. Also, when I eat dinner out at someone's house, I have to go to the bathroom before dessert is served. No pain or anything; just have to empty out (if you know what I mean). Last night was a good example. We ate at a friend's house and we had pretty IBS safe foods: chicken, asparagus, rice, salad. The chicken was baked in the oven but I saw it when it came out of the oven and it was floating is grease. She didn't even skim it off before she served it. It was cooked in a combination of Russian Dressing, Apricot Preserves and something else that I cannot remember. Anyway, she didn't de-skin it. The asparagus was cooked very tender, the rice was great, but I think the grease got me. Right in the bathroom. And about 3 more trips before we left for home. I'm just so more comfortable when I eat home. I never get gas because of the way I cook and what I eat. Even eating at a restaurant is easier for me because I can pick and choose what to eat--but you can't do that at a friend's house, unfortunately.

I take Fibercon tablets: 2 w/breakfast, 2 w/lunch and 3 at dinner--I think the third one at dinner helps me go in the am. Do you take soluble fiber supplements?

I still haven't figured out what makes my stomach bloat, but it does. Luckily I wear elastic waist jeans--I'm no fool!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: does EVERYONE have C? new
      #5810 - 04/11/03 04:17 PM
SharonMello

Angela - be assured--you are not the only one with D. Do a search on D and see what and who comes up! I think you'll be surprised.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#5816 - 04/11/03 04:43 PM
Judi1941

Thank you Sharonmello for the quick response.
I even hate to eat out at a restaurant. I, too was at a birthday dinner on Wednesday night. I ate a bit of cole slaw and some pasta salad, and I have suffered for two days since. Just this afternoon began to feel better. Judi

#5817 - 04/11/03 04:48 PM
Judi1941

Dear GEA:
Finally found someone who seems to suffer as much as I do. I can never commit to anything, because I never know how I am going to feel. I must say with the new drug Zelnorm (only for IBS with constipation) that things have improved.
I still have to monitor what I eat, but when I take it properly, it does reduce the bloating. But even so, I sometimes still have to use Perdiem at night, to have a movement in the morning. So much seems to be connected to my emotional state. Judi1941

#5818 - 04/11/03 04:51 PM
SharonMello

Judi - Yeh, that raw cabbage is a killer and so is the mayo in the salads. If you take some soluble fiber supplements before you eat that might help or eat some FF tortillas or bread before you eat. That's what I do in a restaurant. I'll eat a couple slices of bread before my entree gets there and take my fiber supplements. At least if I get gas, it's not that bad.

Sometimes I think it's better to have all the parties at your own house because then you can control the food. If anyone wants to bring anything, let them bring French or sourdough bread or a bottle of wine for everyone else to drink.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#8345 - 05/06/03 09:48 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi, I was just going over all the posts on constipation and came across yours. I used to be D but changed to C about a year ago. Now I live my life according to my bowels. The problem with me is that I cannot function until I "go". I'll go off to work and feel really bad (intense horrible pressure). I mean a person cannot walk around saying I've gotta "go" but I can't.

I get desperate enough to just boil some senna pods (or leaves) and drink the liquid. It's more invasive but it works. I think that really invasive constipations medicines damage something in your intestines or something like that?! Not the best method but there's no other way for me to function.

Before using senna pods, I would take an enema (horrible experience at first but that too works) and that would work too. I still keep some enemas handy just in case.

My hemorroids (sp?) are really bad so I can't stay constipated for longer than a day otherwise I get intense (can't do anything) pain there too. Those are my methods for coping. I wonder if Zelnorm works the way that senna pods do?

#18393 - 08/24/03 12:08 PM
javafiend

Reged: 08/23/03
Loc: DeSoto, TX

I saw your message on the IBS message board.
I hope you can help me. I am a graduate student at George Washington University. I am in the process of finishing my thesis about women who are taking or have taken the prescription medication Zelnorm. I need about ten women volunteers. The purpose of my paper is to interview these women over a 2 month period to gather data on their quality of life before and after taking Zelnorm. You will only be identified as "case" studies. I would love to speak with you. If you are interested in participating, please email or give me a call. Thanks Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. My phone number is (972) 223-5454. I live in DeSoto. Thank you
Kimberly

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1072 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review