All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Miralax-oouuuuch!
      #57936 - 04/04/04 10:34 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have IBS-C, and my mixture of Colace and Magnesium pills just weren't cutting it anymore, so I got perscribed Miralax. Except since I started it my IBS is acting up big time!!! Pain, bloating and gas, uffff! Anyone else have this affect? Is this a side effect of the powder or is it my IBS reacting badly to it? If I go off of this, what are my other options as far as stool softeners? I hate never knowing how my stomach is going to react to things Also, when I bought it, they accidently sold me 2 bottles, so now I have one mostly full bottle and one unopened one...can I return them, or at least return the unopened one? It's just so annoying to have wasted my money(I'm a broke college student, and I keep spending money on IBS stuff!).

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Miralax-oouuuuch! new
      #57945 - 04/05/04 02:33 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi. I have Ibs-A, and my doc prescribed me Miralax too. When I first took it, I spent the whole entire day in the bathroom with D! So, I told my doc, and she told me to reduce my intake by half. So I took a half a cap full instead of a full cap full, and that seemed to help; however, im getting d more freq. now- so i think i;ll get off of it. Anyway, she told me that miralax pulls excess water into the bowel, which could probly explain the exptra bloat/gas/ect.

#58101 - 04/05/04 11:30 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been on miralax about 4 years. When I first started I did get more gassey and bloated, that went away after about 1 month! If its really bad reduce your dose a little and give it a few weeks. If your feeling backed up just increase your does. I would stick with it a while longer though as its really the best solution I have come up with! Don't be afraid to play with your dose, I do it all the time! Right before my period I get REALLY C so I up the dose, sometimes I do fine with as little as half a dose a day, just depends! I do NOT reccomend skipping doses though, that always causes C for me!

Try to stick with it, it should get better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#58130 - 04/05/04 12:24 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Thanks guys! I guess I will try half a dose then. I really hope it stops bothering me!

--------------------
IBS-C

#62980 - 04/20/04 10:37 AM
Jenny101

Reged: 04/20/04

My dr. put me on Miralax a couple weeks ago but I have not tried it yet, I'm a bit nervous. I've tried Bentyl but that didn't work. Would you recommend just taking a half dose at first?

It's okay.....keep trying. new
      #63006 - 04/20/04 11:24 AM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Yep, I felt the same way for about a week or so when I first started taking it, but now it's been two weeks later and I am more regular than I have been lately. I would keep trying it. I find it is productive if I take it first thing in the morning with some water....that way I can avoid that "stuffy" feeling in the afternoon, if you know what I mean.

Jen

Re: Miralax-Jenny 101 new
      #63052 - 04/20/04 01:17 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi, Miralax and Bentyl are VERY different things!! Bentyl is supposed to help stop the colon from spasming, it did't work for me and can cause more C. Miralax is actually a laxative. I have been on it for several years. If you are C I would start with the reccommended dose, one cap filled up to the little line. If after a couple weeks you are having D, than back it down a little.

Remember, it can take several days to over a week to really get working. Its an osmatic laxative, meaning it pulls water into your colon, so you need to be sure to drink lots of water. In some people it can cause a little extra gas and bloating at first, but that almost always goes away after a few weeks. You need to give it about a month to really tell if you like it or not.

Keep in mind your colon may become dependant on it, mine has. I will probably have to take it for the rest of my life. That was a choice I made, I felt it was better than going through life being so miserble because of C. If you have tried everything else than give it a try. I usually tell people to make it a last resort but if you need it than you need it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 744 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1587

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review