All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New IBS-C diagnosis
      #57286 - 04/02/04 12:31 PM
Malissa35

Reged: 04/02/04

I have fought the idea of finding out what was wrong with me for several years due to seeing other family members cope with Crohn's. I was not ready to be labeled. I have experimented with different diets and found that low/no carb diet works well for me. I was told be a nutritionist that it was due to the carbs tending to bind you up. Also, my doctor has prescibed Zelnorm and I was curious to see how many people take this drug and how it works and what side effects people may have with this drug. I am not one for taking drugs and would like more info on it before taking it. Thanks, Malissa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New IBS-C diagnosis new
      #57291 - 04/02/04 12:38 PM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Hi Malissa, my name is Melissa. funny..
Anyway, yes, I took Zelnorm for a small period of time, thinking this would be a magic cure.
It ended up doing NOTHING for me. Not one thing! I know it has helped others, so I would definitely give it a try. My doctor gave me a free sample pack, so I never had to spend money. Ask your doctor if they have any samples...they usually do.
Hope this helped!

#57304 - 04/02/04 12:47 PM
bamagirl

Loc: Alabama

I just went through my first six weeks of Zelnorm back in November. Results were great at first, but then nothing...I have a co-worker who has been on it for months and has had the same experience. My friend and I both started on Heather's Acacia Fiber the past 3 weeks, and the results are amazing and SAFE!! Not to mention a lot less expensive! It's a good drug, but anytime a doctor says he would rather you only have a six week regimin of anything, that warns me it is not a good thing for the body long-term! Hope this helps.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#57307 - 04/02/04 12:53 PM
fitnessmelis

Loc: Massachusetts

Another Melissa here.. this is my first day posting. I went to the doctor's last week and she said "do you want to try the new drug out...?" and she couldn't remember the nameof it. I asked her if she ever prescribed it before, and she said she couldn't remember...then, I asked her if she thought it was a good idea for me, and she said "if you want." I asked if there were side effects and she said "I'd have to look it up." AH!!! I felt like she wanted me to take Zelnorm so I'd get out of her office and stop bothering her with my belly problems.

I decided to stick with Heather's diet -I've been on it a week and a half and feel much better. I actually can't believe it something is really working - but it is. I find that eating carbs first (just a small portion of everything) helps me to be able to comfortably eat other foods.

Zelnorm--UGH. new
      #57333 - 04/02/04 01:18 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Yeah, I tried it too....still on it until I finish my prescription, and then I am not refilling it. TOO EXPENSIVE, and it has done only a little more than bupkus for me in the meantime. I'm on Miralax now for a few weeks till my colonoscopy to clean me out, and then I am also taking Heather's Acacia fiber, and I find that that helps a LOT...plus watching my insoluble fiber so that I only have so much to keep me regular without binding me up. By the way, the low-carb/no-carb thing I did last year, and I was SO much worse. It truly made my IBS impossible. I dont' know how other sufferers can tolerate it.

Jen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 732 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 687

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review