All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pre-made food suggestions please
      #56668 - 03/31/04 08:14 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Sorry to be the over-posting newbie, but I have tons of Qs...

The Eating for IBS book is fantastic but with my work schedule, weeknight cooking is not a reliable or realistic option. So I am hoping for suggestions on great quick items I can bring to work with me or open at home, such as

-canned tuna (which I assume I should get in water, rather than oil, right?)
-small packs of applesauces to take to work
-fat free saltines
-packaged soups

I am finding it pretty easy to find carbohydrate snacks and meal items, but more of a challenge to find easy ways (like tuna) to get protein into my diet.

What pre-packaged foods are must-haves in your pantry? Corn pops? tuna? lox? Please provide brand names if you can!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pre-made food suggestions please new
      #56670 - 03/31/04 08:30 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Be careful with the soups a lot of them have whey which is dairy.

I try to make extra food on the weekends or dinner and bring the leftovers for lunch at work.

I need to go just now but I will think of more specifics and get back to you.

Blessings,
Leigh

#56687 - 03/31/04 11:15 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
This is definately something that is really challenging on the diet...I too rely on tuna a lot even though I've heard that you really shouldn't eat more than a few cans of tuna per week Bummer.
Anyways, I don't have too many suggestions but one thing that I've found really helpful is crap or lobster meat. Even the imitation kind I find doesn't upset my stomach too much, and it's pretty easy to just grab when you're on the go and you can get some protein there as well.
Also, I believe there's some pretty good brands of soy yogurts that would have protein in them, but I'm new to the whole soy thing so I don't have any brand names.
Good luck!
Kelly

#56711 - 04/01/04 06:30 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Hi!
As for soy yogurts, I like Silk and Wildwood, but some people really like WholeSoy (I don't). Other good ways for protein...If you can handle a little bit of peanut butter, you can put that on your saltines or bread. Fresh sliced turkey breast from the deli and soy or rice cheese/milk are other quick foods that I rely on. I can also eat Luna bars (be careful, some flavors are not IBS safe!) Hope this helps

--------------------
--Julie

Luna Bars ! new
      #56720 - 04/01/04 07:27 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Which Luna bars are safe for you? I love these things but sometimes I am not sure which kind is safer then the others. I usually check the ingredients but if I could just know which ones to grab, it would be wonderful!!!

thank ya thank ya!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#56732 - 04/01/04 08:14 AM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Try canned chicken. To me its better than tuna. They have pop-tops, don't need to be refrigerated and don't have a list of unecessary ingredients.
Also sugar-free applesauce, in individual serving packs.
They're packaged like individual pudding etc. They can even be enjoyed at room temp, although I like them best cold.
Add your favorite bread and you have a small perfect lunch or dinner.

#56754 - 04/01/04 09:21 AM
pearlmaj

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions...

Why sugar-free applesauce? I thought sugar isn't a problem??

Confused about dairy new
      #56756 - 04/01/04 09:24 AM
pearlmaj

I understand whey is dairy, but I am confused about dairy's role in IBS and whether that is the same or different than lactose intolerance.

Back in graduate school (pre-IBS diagnosis), I went off of dairy for two weeks to test for lactose intolerance, but noticed no dramatic difference in my stomach situation during or after. Not sure if that means dairy is just one of many triggers for me or if I can handle dairy, but if I am not lactose intolerant is that the same as being able to handle dairy? And can I then have whey products?

So confused!!!! thanks in advance

Re: Luna Bars ! new
      #56757 - 04/01/04 09:26 AM
pearlmaj

I am guessing my favorite, and formerly a staple in my diet, is not included in the "safe" list: Nutz Over Chocolate.

Re: Luna Bars ! new
      #56774 - 04/01/04 09:57 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I don't about Nutz over Chocolate....it's probably out though .

I buy Peanut Butter n' Jelly and Toasted Nuts n' Cranberry. I don't like the bars have a layer of stuff on the bottom, like the lemon zest, so I've never read the label. I can also eat the cherry Clif bars and some of the odwalla bars, but I'm new into exploring them.

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2976

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review