All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
LauraSue.... question about meds sensitivities? new
      #56025 - 03/30/04 10:15 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi there. How are you feeling today??? Well, I hope. The nasty migraines haven't reappeared have they? Hope not.

Do you have a lot of medicine sensitivities? Do you attribute it to your fibro?

I've been reading a lot about fibro/CFS and found it fascinating that patients with fibro and/or CFS are often terribly sensitive to meds. I'm not, and hope I don't become so... but it's good to know about! I also read fibro and CFS can lead to tons of allergies and food sensitivities (wow, I'm having trouble getting that spelled correctly today!). I think that's fascinating, too, 'cause I feel like every month that goes by brings another food I can't handle. So odd! IBS is such a big symptom of both other issues... It's overwhelming!

Do you feel your IBS is a symptom of the fibro, or independent of it?

Last question (for now! ): do you suffer from "fibro fog"? That horrible fuzzy headed can't think of words, can't remember why you walked into a store, can't remember how you got your pants on backwards fogginess? I need tips on combatting that if you have any! I can't deal with it! I'm a really really bright person and I hate being this clueless all the dang time.

I wouldn't ask this many questions all at once, but I know you don't mind and will only answer if you have the energy to!

Smoochies, LauraSue!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

For Ruchie, new
      #56041 - 03/30/04 10:31 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Ruchie,
have you had any trouble sleeping since starting the Nexium? Not like because you're up with D or anything, but just not being able to sleep? I started the Nexium Saturday and haven't been able to sleep more than 2 hours since! I'm not sure if it may be the drug, it's just ridiculous, my body just won't go to sleep. Anyone else had this?
Thanks,
Kelly

Re: We love LauraSue! new
      #56096 - 03/30/04 11:16 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Ruchie,
Glad I could help a little bit! Re OA, there's tons of online meetings. Go here:

OA Online Meetings

and click on the link in the first sentence to get a pdf file with four pages of listings of online meetings.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: LauraSue.... question about meds sensitivities? new
      #56110 - 03/30/04 11:38 AM
LauraSue

Jen,

Smoochies back atcha, girl. Wow, lots of questions. First, yes, migraines are better, thanks for asking!

Ok, sensitivities (did I spell that right?? yes, I have fibro fog... do I know you????)

Oh, right, sensitivities to medications. YES, some I'm fine with, but others give me BIG problems. For example, Xanax is terrific, but Klonopin clobbered me. Ultram, I only need half the normal dose, if I take two I get nauseous. And yes I attribute it to the fibro. One of the nicknames for fibro AND CFS is "Irritable Body Syndrome." Every part of me is over sensitized to everything!! Like that story about the Princess and the Pea? That's me.

Food sensitivities with fibro are mostly just the IBS triggers usually. But chemical sensitivities are over the top. I can't even stand the smell of the soap that my hubby uses at the gym. Perfumes, cooking odors, paint smell, you name it. All part of fibro/CFS. (By the way, I personally believe they are the same illness, but just my humble opinion.)

I believe my IBS is definitely part of my fibro, not separate from it. Fortunately all the right things to do for IBS also help fibro (sleep, exercise, avoiding stress).

Okay, fibro fog, it's real. They've done brain scan studies showing that our brains literally do not get as much blood flow when we experience the fog. So just like a light bulb not getting enough current so it flickers or burns real dim, that's what's happening in our brains. Great, huh.

I just noticed your "pants on backward" analogy. It made me laugh and think to myself, at least I've never done that, then I remembered that I actually DID do that once. I have a pair of drawstring exercise pants and once I put the drawstring in the back rather than the tag. Couldn't figure out why they fit so funny!

As far as tips for dealing with it, I'm sure you're already using all the basic ones, writing lists, keeping things like keys or glasses in the same place each time. Mostly I just have to slow down for a second and let my brain catch up with me.

And yes it's incredibly frustrating to go from a bright, overachieving, super competent, super responsible and reliable Wonder Woman, to this "ditz" we always used to laugh at.

Wish I could be more help. There's a whole bunch of websites and books, and a lot of them have suggestions on dealing with fibro fog. Maybe you'll find something I've forgotten (speaking of fibro fog!). If you do, please let me know too!!

Now, who are you again, and where did I put my glasses???!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Nexium and its adverse reactions on me! I HATE MEDS! new
      #56120 - 03/30/04 11:46 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ruchie sorry you are having a hard time with Nexium. Matter of fact I miss taking my purple pill. My insurance doesn't cover it anymore and now I take Prilosec OTC and it doesn't work as well for me.

I've never had bad side effects from Nexium. Do you think Nexium can be reacting with the other meds you take? That may be a good question to ask your Pharmacist.

Plus I wonder if your body is just saying "NO" to drugs. LOL

you're the bestest! new
      #56126 - 03/30/04 11:51 AM
jenX

Thanks for answering.

I, too, believe they're the same (CFS, Fibro). At least that's what it seems to be from my "research."

I've just started coming to terms with this CFS crap. First of all... my diagnosis was an offhanded "if you're still tired after all the stuff we've tried, then I guess you have chronic fatigue syndrome."

A) "all the stuff we tried" was putting me on Lexapro 'cause "you're tired because you're depressed." That's it. that was "all the stuff we tried."

B) when i asked "well what do i do to manage it?" i was told, "lots of people get a lot more energy if they workout at lunchtime." I walk at lunch when I have the energy, I said. No, I mean "work out. at the gym" he replied.
1) "work out?" yes, because i can barely lift my arms you think working out will be the answer? maybe that will help long-term, but how do i get the energy to do that without taking a 3 week nap (no exaggeration)? no comment from Doc. when I asked that follow-up question!
2) i'm in a union job where i have to be at my desk at certain times or i can get fired. (needless to say, i can goof off once i'm there! hullo-- IBS boards!?? ) how am i going to get out of the office, to a gym, work out, take a shower and back to the office without anyone noticing. i get a 1/2 lunch break. ya think that's going to work???

That's the extent of the data I was able to extract from my Doctor. Because I knew nothing about CFS except the common misperceptions, I just kind of ignored the diagnosis. That was this fall, and it's only been the last few weeks that I've accepted it. And thus the self-education begins!

I've decided to do a lot of research on my own and then strike out for a better doctor. I'm hoping to get some good names from my research and be confident that I know what questions to ask, what I expect and what to push for.

Sorry to bug you with all this, but just trying to get my bearings!

You're the greatest.

--------------------

Re: you're the bestest! new
      #56132 - 03/30/04 12:10 PM
LauraSue

Jen, ...and you're the sweetest!

I totally agree with you about how inadequate the doctor's response was! Been there done that. But he's right in a way, just not in his approach.

One thing I read that I'll always remember is that "People with fibro/CFS can't afford NOT to exercise." But of course, we don't have the energy to even think about it.

The answer is to start VERRRRRRYYYYYY SLOWWWWWWWLY. At first I walked for 3 min, then 5, then 10, now a year later maybe i can do 25 min on a good day. But it HELPS, ohmigoodness, how it HELPS!! Can't feel the difference at first, until suddenly you look back and realize you're not getting such and such symptom any more or that now you can do X and you couldn't at first.

But it's like quitting smoking. You have to be ready to start your walking program and you have to really want to do it.

In addition, light strength building and stretching is important too. I have a link to a baby step plan you can do at home, which I'll post for you as soon as my fibro fog lifts and I remember where I put it so I wouldn't lose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#56140 - 03/30/04 12:15 PM
jenX

yeah, i know i need to do it! i've been trying to walk for 15 minutes at lunch. i DO feel better when i have... it's true. and i park a 5 minute walk away. i'm afraid to park further 'cause some days i can barely lift my legs to get to the lot...

thanks again for the help!

--------------------

#56171 - 03/30/04 01:34 PM
LauraSue

Yeah, I never know when I'm going to run out of steam, so I walk in 5 minute CIRCLES, literally, around my apartment building. How hysterical is that??!!

Here's the baby step program link:

Baby Steps for FM/CFS!

I love it that they start with 30 SECONDS of walking!! When I saw that, I said this is for me!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yep Kelly, had that too new
      #56220 - 03/30/04 04:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I had insomnia a bit, fever, headache, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, the big D and stuff like that. You're NOT the only one and it IS mentioned in the side effects of the drug on the leaflet.

I hope you get some good zzzzz's soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

P.S. Is it helping your GERD at all?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3613 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review