All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Overactive Bladder together?
      #53395 - 03/23/04 12:12 PM

Unregistered

Hi! Has anyone had or heard of IBS and Overactive Bladder together? I am 30 yrs. old and my doctor said I was waaayyy to young to have overactive bladder. I have a Urologist appt. in April. I would like to see if anyone has experienced this or has research on it. Thank you for you help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Overactive Bladder together? new
      #53448 - 03/23/04 01:41 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm not sure I would be classified as having an overactive bladder but when my tummy is at its worst I feel like I have to pee every 15 minutes!! I think its from the terrible bloating I get and all the pressure. I am usually up 3-4 times a night, regardless of how my tummy is to pee. I have never had any "accidents" but have that "gotta pee NOW" feeling a lot!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#53464 - 03/23/04 02:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi there. I've never heard of a medical tem "Overactive Bladder", but having to pee lots is pretty common with IBS. Don't worry bout it!

I found tho, that I was getting anxious about needing the loo with the IBS, so I ran to the loo (sorry, bathroom) whenever I thought I MIGHT even need it. That was actually making the peeing-lots worse as my body forgot how to hold on! I started "training myself" to wait as long as pos before going to the loo and that problem went away.

#53492 - 03/23/04 03:08 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Actually it's not at all unusual to have those two conditions together. For example, in people with fibromyalgia, it's quite common. They are both disorders of the autonomic nervous system, so they are pretty closely related.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#53498 - 03/23/04 03:16 PM

Unregistered

Thank you ladies for your input! My fear is beginning to subside. Interesting about a bathroom being called a "loo". Ha- learn something new everyday.

#53521 - 03/23/04 04:32 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never heard of it together, but I did want to say that I have a friend that is only 29, and she was diagnosed with some some type of bladder thing. I'm not sure if it is overactive bladder or something similar to it. I can't remember the name of it, but she takes meds for it.

Maybe I can help... new
      #53613 - 03/24/04 01:32 AM
ChucksKat

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I have interstitial cystitis, an autoimmune disease of the bladder. The syptoms are frequency, pain, and urgency. This is totally different from a bladder infection. It sounds as if this could be your problem. If the urologist is familiar with IC, then he/she will be able to help diagnose this as that disease, or not. Many IC patients also have IBS. They seem to go hand in hand. There is a website on IC: www.ic-network.com I hope this helps you. I know how frustrating this can be.

ChucksKat

Aunie new
      #53631 - 03/24/04 05:43 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Actually, I've seen lots of lists of IBS symptoms that include "frequent urination," so this isn't uncommon.

I, for one, pee all the time. It's worse now that I'm trying to up my water 'cause of my fiber intake. I may as well just put my desk in the "loo."

I also get up about 4 times a night. What fun.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 573 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review