Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
having a hard time
      #5254 - 04/06/03 06:54 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

hi everyone

i've been on the "heather diet" since november, and while i saw some improvement at first, i haven't ever really felt STABLE. i just get sick a little less often. but in the last month i've really felt awful almost every day, and i'm not sure why.

i've had nausea which i really didn't have before, and more C than D, up till the last 2 days, where i've had D after ANYTHING i eat. (i alternate between the two)

i think part of my problem is that i'm working (at school) in an enviroment where it's very hard to get something to eat during the day. in the cosmetology industry, it's common for people to not eat anything at all during the day because it gets so busy.

~ does anyone have some good small snack ideas that i can nibble on all thru the day, between clients, besides crackers? ~

another hypothesis is just that my stress level has been high the whole time i've been here in florida (since august). i don't really have any friends. my only friend here is my boyfriend, who lives an hour away. and financially things have been hard, too, because i'm going to school. i lost my job last week because my boss was worried about my health and didn't think i could keep up without gettin more sick, and she said she wanted me to be able to focus on school.

my GI has been trying to find a good medication for me, too, and so far the side effects have outweighed the good things.

any suggestions on anything i can do to really get stable and un-sick? i'm so tired from everything. it seems like as soon as i get the D under control, it tips over to C, and vice versa.

are there certain foods that make people like me more C or D, or is it just however my body decides to react that day?

beth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: having a hard time new
      #5255 - 04/06/03 07:05 PM
tls

Reged: 03/28/03

Hi, my daughter suffers from tossing cookies usually followed by the runs. She is on zantac which has stopped the loss of stomach, but stress is a big factor. For food: tortilla with peanutbutter cut in triangles (sounds odd but has been ok), I make instant pudding with "Vitamite or Silk" use half the amount of package ie 2 cups dairy one cup soy, sandwhich, rice,

#5271 - 04/07/03 12:57 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I find mini-pretzels are a good, handy snack and very IBS safe.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#5273 - 04/07/03 02:31 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hi Beth,
I'm so sorry that times have been tough and unstable for you. That really sucks that you its hard to get something to eat and your stress enviroment is high. Between clients try munching on some sourdough pretzels or corn chips or anything with a soluable fiber base (this should help control the C) I am IBS-d, but between my anti-spas med, and my calcium supplement intake, i begin to take a turn for ibs-c. In this case, i just try to really increase my fiber, and it seems to really help. In fact, the last couple days, ive actually been regular!
If things get to hard to handle, I suggest you consider working different hours or something. I know its tough, but your health comes first!
As for friends, im sorry you dont have anyone but your b/f down there, where does your family live? And remember, you've always got friends here at the IBS-board. When I come home, and I get ignorant babble from my fam on my ibs, i just come here It's sorta like my vent/diary place. where i can go to people who actually understand and are willing to listen. I cant find anyone whose willing to do that in person.
I wish you the very best

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#5278 - 04/07/03 04:59 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Hey there! Sounds like things are really not going your way! I also live in Florida. Where are you? As far as your job is concerned, your boss can not legally let you go because of health issues so if you really wanted that job I'd say have a talk with your boss. If it was stressing you out then it's better that you're gone. As far as school goes, I teach fourth grade. I know cosmetology school is busy but try chasing around 31 10-11 year olds from 7:30 - 3:00!!!!! I just nibble when I can - even if the kids get annoyed because I get to eat and they don't. Try peppermint tea also. You could make some up and keep it in a water bottle with you at all times. Also, for munchies you may want to try some of the quick bread recipes in the Eating for IBS book - they're sweet as well as soluble fiber and should help settle your stomach a little. Also: rice chex, baked tostitos, pretzels, or just plain bread. The whole idea is to keep your stomach full. If none of the above is feasible because of time - take two Fibercon with A LOT of water and they'll swell up in your stomach. Mainly - RELAX. Your health is more important than any job, school, relationship, etc. We all need to start to feel good. Good luck and remember to post if you need a friend.

#5289 - 04/07/03 06:20 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

So sorry you're having a rough time. You are a Canadian, too, aren't you? Anyway, not eating all day is NOT a good option. Here are a few other ideas to add to everyone elses fabulous ones:
make your own low fat rice krispy squares (check the recipe board - I think it's there)
Pack a thermos full of peppermint tea and sip on it all day
Since you're in Florida, freeze a couple bottles of water the night before work and have cold water all day long (it's very important to keep your fluids up - it'll keep you from feeling worn out and tired)
I like Boost nutritional supplement shakes (Chocolate of course) - it gives you the nutrients of a meal in a lactose free shake.
Try a sandwich of some sort (even if it's PB and J) or something that you can eat with one hand - ie. a bun or something.
Hang in there! It does sound like stress is a factor for you right now. Cut yourself some slack. Take it a day at a time and try not to let things get to you. Exercise is always good for that - even walking 10 - 15 mins a day can help both your tummy and your stress level. Remember it won't always be like this. Things will get better. In the meantime, we're always here.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#5301 - 04/07/03 08:28 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I also get really nauseous, and I find it is linked to when I am not eating.

Try Nabisco Ginger Snaps (I looked on the IBS recipe board and it looks like they don't have any triggers) and also I have done well with Heather's gingerbread recipe (cut into squares and wrapped in aluminum foil to take with me). The ginger in both of those helps my nausea. A bagel is also a handy thing to snack on, you can just tear off a little chunk when you want some. And definately the fibercon pills with water.

You take care, hope that helps!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#5302 - 04/07/03 09:51 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. You've got lots of great advice so far. The only thing I wanted to add was for snacks is bananas & applesauce cups (I like the Mott's Healthy Harvest--they've got different flavors). I keep myself stocked at work with these along with graham crackers. Sometimes I like to snack on soy yogurt too, but I wasn't sure if you had a refrigerator.

Good luck! Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Mags

#5392 - 04/07/03 09:18 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Thank you all so much! You've all been very helpful with all your advice, and support! Thank you!

wac, i live in Daytona Beach. i actually was in Casselberry today! i drive thu there on the way to my boy's house in Winter Park all the time. kinda nice to know of someone in the area...

my family lives in wisconsin (not canada, but close!). they've had ice storms and power outages all weekend. fun fun. and most of my friends live in the midwest, too: either in wisconsin or illinois.

i'll definitely have to try the fibercon pills. i'm allowed to have drinks with me while i'm working, just not food. so on busy days i'll be able to pull that off.

thankyouthankyouthankyou all

beth

Edited by juniorrachel (04/07/03 09:28 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review