All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A few more questions
      #51784 - 03/18/04 08:00 AM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

You have all been a HUGE help to me. I do have a few more questions. What do you all do to get your calcium intake for the day? Is it ok to take a calcium supplement since we can't have dairy? Also, is it normal to have cramps when you first start taking the fiber? It is working for me, but I get cramps. Anyways...these are just a few things I was wondering about! Thanks again!

Amanda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A few more questions new
      #51788 - 03/18/04 08:15 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
From what I understand, it is okay to take calcium supplements whilst you aren't eating any dairy.. I think too much calcium can be bad for someone with IBS-C, but can be helpful to relieve diarhea. Magnesium does the opposite so I think that if you go back and forth, the supplements that are Calcium and Magnesium are supposed to be good.
I also think it is normal to have some reactions when you first start taking any fiber that will lessen when your body gets used to it. When I first went on, I felt bloated and uncomfortable for a while but it went away.
Hope this helps a bit!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#51791 - 03/18/04 08:23 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi, Amanda.

I get calcium from my Silk... I put it in my AM smoothie and in my rice pudding. Sometimes just have a glass 'cause I want to. I can also get away with a Viactiv after soluble fiber, but I'm not terribly lactose intolerant like I know some of you are, nor am I susceptible to HFCS. Check the ingredients... I don't know if Calcium tabs have milk in them??? I have soy yogurt from time to time and that's 50% of the daily requirement, per a website I just peeked at. One in the AM one in the PM and you're set!

I got a little cramping the first day I started on acacia and then again when I upped the dose, but it's fairly minor....

--------------------

Rats. new
      #51798 - 03/18/04 08:45 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Just checked my Silk yogurt (forgot I had it). It's only 30% of your RDA of calcium. That's still good, but it's no 50%!

--------------------

#51836 - 03/18/04 09:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Slowly incraese your fibre supplement and make sure you take it regularly so your body can get used to it. Soon you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it.

Most soy milks have calcium added to them. I also take a supplement.

#52074 - 03/18/04 10:18 PM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

Thank you to everyone! I am trying to adjust and all of you are really helping!

Amanda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2582 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review