All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is this the right medicine for me?
      #50970 - 03/15/04 08:57 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

My doctor prescribed Hyoscamine (generic for Levsin) to me in July last summer. I am still taking it 3 times a day. My main IBS symptom is pain in the morning(sometimes at night too) before going to the bathroom. Is this something I should be taking everyday for this. I am not IBS D - Im not sure what I am really - I get the pain no matter what kind it is. What is IBS A anyways?? Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this the right medicine for me? new
      #50974 - 03/15/04 11:56 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

ABBY I TAKE HYSCOMAINE TO. IT HELPS SOMETIMES. JASPER

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: Is this the right medicine for me? new
      #50977 - 03/16/04 03:03 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm on hyoscamine for the second time now. I was on it for about a year when I was first diagnosed, but it stopped working. This time, I'm supposed to only take it when I'm in pain, but it's not working. It's an anti-spasmodic, it's supposed to calm the spasms in your intestines which could be causing the pain. I'm IBS-D, but it isn't helping my D either....if it's not helping the pain, and you're taking 3 a day, which is way more than I ever took even when it was working (I've never taken more than 1 a day because more than that made me C), you may need to talk you doc into some new meds.

IBS-A is alternating IBS, sometimes you have C, sometimes you have D. Hope this helps and you feel better soon!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Antispasmodics new
      #51040 - 03/16/04 08:06 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Antispasmodics like Levsin actually don't need to be taken 3 times a day if that doesn't seem necessary to you. My doc also prescribed Bentyl to me 3x/day, but then I learned from Heather that antispasmodics don't build up in your system, so they're just as effective if you only take them when you need them. I slowly weened myself off Bentyl so that I now only take it when I feel very iffy, which is sometimes only once a month! Personally, I feel better not pumping my body full of unnecessary drugs.

Another question... does the Levsin seem to be helping you? Because people seem to react better to different antispasmodics. If this one doesn't seem effective you could always ask your doc if you could try another. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Hyoscyamine new
      #51078 - 03/16/04 09:05 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I also take this generic version of Levsin and am not sure what I would do without it. I have been on 4 other antispasmatic drugs and none have worked as amazing as this one has for me.

I only take Hyoscyamine when needed and can start feeling the effects by the time it takes the pill to disolve since I take it sublingually. However, it does make me very sleepy so if I need to take it, I can pretty much call it a night since I'll probably be asleep in 30 mins.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Antispasmodics new
      #51236 - 03/16/04 02:43 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Kree, that is interesting about the Bentyl. I was taking that a lot then stopped all together. But I should look in to it again and maybe just taking it when I need it. I usually go for the Immodium but that relief is only temp. since I end up constipated the next day or two. The only thing I hated about the Bentyl was it sometimes made me feel tired if I took it on an empty stomach.

#51254 - 03/16/04 05:49 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

That's interesting that the Bentyl made you tired. I've never noticed it doing that to me. But yeah, it might be worth looking into. Personally, I'd also rather take that than Immodium, which I avoid like the plague because it ALWAYS plugs me up.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#51650 - 03/17/04 05:02 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Kree, you know it's funny how everybody's different. For me, with Bentyl, "as needed" IS every day!! My doc got after me for not taking it often enough when I told him I was still having problems!!

Also, I see someone mentioned it making them tired. Yes it can cause drowsiness. I also take Xanax and have to make sure I take them 2 hours apart or I'm nodding off!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Hyoscyamine new
      #69572 - 05/11/04 02:30 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I also take this generic version of Levsin and am not sure what I would do without it. I have been on 4 other antispasmatic drugs and none have worked as amazing as this one has for me.

I only take Hyoscyamine when needed and can start feeling the effects by the time it takes the pill to disolve since I take it sublingually. However, it does make me very sleepy so if I need to take it, I can pretty much call it a night since I'll probably be asleep in 30 mins.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS Fall Sprawl
10/15-10/18
Ask me for details!

I find this very interesting.... I've been taking Hyoscyamine as needed for 2 years. And never knew about taking them sublingually (dissolve under tounge)....heck I had to look up the word sublingually! LOL My bottle says "take 1 or 2 tablets by mouth every 6 hours as needed" I just called in my refill so, I will ask the Pharmacist there when I pick it up.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (05/11/04 02:32 PM)

#69578 - 05/11/04 03:01 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

LS and Kree, do you ever find that Bentyl makes you emotional? I'm not sure if this is actually happening to me, but I notice that when I take Bentyl, I cry super-easy and the littlest thing can offend me/set me off. Of course, it could be that I only need Bentyl when I'm really stressed....

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2703 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3244

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review