All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Celiac Disease
      #50219 - 03/13/04 07:18 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Well, I've put a lot of posts up this week so I'm sorry if i sound crazy (I'll blame in on my stomach!) In one response Heather had mentioned celiac and I was wondering if there is anyone on the boards who has it. I thought there was someone who mentioned it before but I can't remember her name. Anyways, anyone who is IBS-C and thought they had celiac and was tested? pos. neg.? I'm wondering what I should do b/c I don't have a GI that I'm seeing right now b/c didn't really like him and didn't help. So, to get ttested 1st need to find a GI. what i've read shows that celiac predom. IBS-D but so many different ways it presents itself. I've been trying hard to stick to the diet but so far no luck. Sometimes I just think I'll stop eating (my mom who has problems also says the same thing!) Thanks for listening to my frustration.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Celiac Disease new
      #50225 - 03/13/04 08:37 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

I have some experience with the Celiac question. I am IBS -D. First you can just get a blood test thru your regular Doctor testing for the Celiac antibodies(IGG,IGA, and EMA), this is just a simple blood draw and then based on those results you will know better what direction to head in. You may test positive for half of them which I did and have to go a step further to determine if you have Celiac. I took this next step (an endoscopy) so if you find out you need to too I can answer some questions for you.
I was also on the gluten free diet for celiacs as well as dairy free diet for 4 months and did get a little bit better. Looking back it was probably the elimination of dairy and wheat bread that got me a little better. But after being on this IBS diet for just a week I am much better. A nurse told me that if you were a celiac and eating even wheat based white breads (ex. french) you would not be getting better.

Sorry so long, but I have been shuffled between these two (IBS and Celiac) for about two years now. The most helpful statement was from the nurse. If you are a true celiac you will not get better if you continue to eat the breads recommended in the IBS diet.

I know how frustrating it is, you just want to eat!! Hope this helps.

#50227 - 03/13/04 08:56 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi,

I've actually been going dairy free and gluten free for the past 3 months. I did not get tested for Celiac, however I have felt better. My syptoms weren't incredibly bad, almost always D rather than C, and even then not really bad. However, it still wasn't good enough for my lfiestyle.

My Dad has had Crohn's for most of his life and he recently went and saw a naturopath who recommended a diet similar to Heather's, but also gluten free and he feels way better. When he talked to his GI, she said if it works go for it. The naturopath said that there is difference between Celiac and just a gluten intolerance (not totally sure what that'd be though).

I also know a few other people who found it made a big difference. I am hoping to try and integrate it back into my diet at some point when I have different job, but for now I'm sticking with it. Although it is really tough to shop for! There is wheat or dairy in almost EVERYTHING!

I say get tested, however, if you haven't been eating gluten for a while, the blood tests might not show anything. Trying the gluten free along with Heather's recommendations has helped me quite a lot, and that's what is important.

#50252 - 03/13/04 12:38 PM
rlan

so when you did the next step I'm assuming it came out neg. since you're following this diet with "wheat" bread? or not? Thanks for teh suggestion I need blood drawn for something else so I can do it all together! thanks for your response the longer the better!!!

Re: Celiac Disease-I am a Celiac new
      #50259 - 03/13/04 01:36 PM
amylou

Reged: 02/21/04

HI!
I have posted on the boards recently and I am a celiac, but I hae symptoms of IBS according to my GI doc. Celiac does not always show up as D it can definitely cause C and for as much as 20-30% of the celiac population the disease causes migraines, osteoporosis, reproductive disorders, allergies (like seasonal allergies) and extreme fatigue. My suggestion to you is to buy a gluten free book/recipe book and start learning as much as you can about the gluten free way of life. Try the diet for the next several weeks and see if you start to feel better. Even if you don't have celiacs...many people (including IBS sufferers) are intolerant to wheat (however they normally do okay with oats, barley and rye that celiacs can't have) If you do have celiacs they are webistes just like this one for celiacs (celiac.com, gluten.net) that provide a wealth of info and products you can buy on line to make at home (ie bread etc) THe only treatment for celiacs is to revamp your diet forever.
Hope this helps...good luck,
amy

#50354 - 03/14/04 09:10 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Yes it did come back negative. Although....I had been gluten free when I had it done for 4 months and the Doctor said this did not matter. But, I have since read that it does matter in that the intestines would have had 4 months to heal during that time. So make sure you are consuming wheat/gluten when you have these tests done.

I do still have some small doubts as to wether I am not a celiac but I feel that if I am getting better on this diet that that is the surest sign yet that I am on the right track.

Good Luck!

thanks everyone!-nt new
      #50378 - 03/14/04 11:30 AM
rlan

#50776 - 03/15/04 10:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't have celiac, but I know quite a bit about it. What do you want to know...just ask!

Actually, I'm going to a new allergist who isn't so sure I don't have celiac even though my tests came back negative. An upper endoscopy is the gold seal test...but it's NOT 100% accurate! My allergist has a patient that tested negative but HAS CELIAC! So we're trying to get all my stuff straigthened out.

Have you been tested? Whata re your symptoms? Feel free to give me pages of info. if you wish! I would LOVE to help in any way I can....

I hope you get things figured out soon!

Sincerely,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Question For Ruchie new
      #50789 - 03/15/04 11:03 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had a question about Celiac....
does it get worse with stress like IBS does? For example...my stomach has been just terrible since this whole break up thing...but if I had celiac would my stomach still get worse from the stress??

Re: Question For Ruchie new
      #50794 - 03/15/04 11:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Great question Kimm! To my knowledge stress can definately exacerbate celiac (as with any stomach ailment). I think I read that on celiac.com.

In fact, I read something a while back that mentioned that celiac can be dormant in people UNTIL something catastrophic happens in their life. (I'm not sure if this is true...but it is something I read somewhere along the way). Have you been tested for celiac? What are your symptoms? do you have any thyroid problems or other disorders?

I hope you DON'T have celiac and that your tummy feels GREAT soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 555 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3015

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review