All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bad Bloated Belly-Help Please
      #50135 - 03/12/04 04:46 PM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

I have the worst bloating today. I am IBS-C. Part of this is the fact that I haven't gone in days. I have upped my fiber intake a lot, but it seems to be doing nothing, acutally seems to be clogging me up more. I have been taking FiberCon a few times a day as well as Citrucel. I have been doing this for the past few days. I've been drinking lots of Peppermint Tea, as well as some new tea I got yesterday with Peppermint, Fennel, cinnamon, and some others called "Eater's Digest" I even went out last night and got some phazyme to try and remove some of the bloat, but nothing...Today is the worst I have felt in a long time. My stomach is all deformed and beach-ball like. Here's what I ate today: Breakfast, Banana and Rice cake. Lunch, Chicken and steamed veggies (mainly spinach, I thought a little insoluble fiber was ok?), and an apple. I think that I really need to stop drinking soda, I had a diet coke today and I think that is not helping one bit. I am sorta new to this, so I am sure I am doing it all wrong, but I am trying. I am going to the gym tonight, even though it's the last thing I want to do...maybe that will help. Ouch! I hate the way I feel and look right now...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bad Bloated Belly-Help Please new
      #50138 - 03/12/04 04:53 PM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...sorry about your tummy!!
I know that bananas cause lots of bloating and gas in some people so that may be what's triggering you (especially if you're eating one in the morning on an empty stomach). You may be taking too high a dose of fibre supplements...you could try decreasing the dose a little for a day or two and see if that helps. Try fennel tea on its own...that might help. The diet coke was a BIG NO NO!! it has aspartame in it...which is very bad!! The carbonation will cause gas and bloating.
When you hit the gym tonight try just walking on the treadmill for a while (don't push yourself)...
Hope this helped! Keep us posted on how you're doing!!

#50145 - 03/12/04 05:15 PM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

I think you need to add some food that has real bulk like rice, pasta etc. You are eating a low carb diet, and that is known to cause constipation.

good luck!

Re: Bad Bloated Belly-Help Please (Thanks Heather!!!) new
      #50158 - 03/12/04 06:16 PM
Jules3

Thanks. I'll try eating some other stuff, but you are right the diet goes totally against what I have been eating to lose weight. I read the article that carbs wont make me gain weight, but its gotta be a slow transition, because my system isn't used to it either. If a banana is bad on an empty stomach, what is good? I am not a huge breakfast eater...I sometimes make turkey bacon, but am so skeptical about what to eat now. I just took a bath and the heat seems to have alleviated some of the bloating pain. Its so nice to have a place to talk about all this...most people are grossed out by it and have zero input. Thanks Heather!

Re: Bad Bloated Belly-Help Please (Thanks Heather!!!) new
      #50159 - 03/12/04 06:20 PM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there. If you are wondering what to eat for breakfast on an empty stomach...try oatmeal!! I hate to cook too but even the instant kind is good. You can also try having white toast (the fresh bakery kind) with a tiny bit of peanut butter or try it with a bagel instead.
Good luck!!

#50171 - 03/12/04 07:10 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Please cut out the soda!!!! This stuff is the devil to IBS. Remember you need to eat soluble fibre with EVERY meal - so have some pasta, rice, potato or white bread with that lunch!

You don't want to suddenly up your fibre intake, you have to take it slow. Upping it alot at once could well make you worse. Cut down for a while and then increase your dose slowly.

The fennel in the tea will really help. And keep on moving! I sometimes forget to do this when I'm bloated and C and boy do I pay for it afterwards! Walking on the treadmill is a great idea, though I'd walk around the block. That way you can get the gas out without annoying the gym bunnies!

Trouble adding carbs. new
      #50174 - 03/12/04 07:26 PM
Jules3

Thanks! I think I will actually add oatmeal to my dinner. I am just having hard time, since I just lost 20 pounds by cutting carbs and fat, and I am so nervous to put it back on. I read the article that it wont make me gain, but it's just a hard trasition. I read Heather's araticle about this, but the reason stated for not having weight gain, is cutting out the fat which I already did. I know some of it is mental, but gaining the weight back will make me more stressed, and in turn not help the IBS-C either. Comments?

#50241 - 03/13/04 10:36 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I agree with Linz cut out the diet soda. I don't drink soda anymore and never was a big soda drinker either. I noticed diet soda will cause bloating and gas for me and lots of pain with it.

It is fine to eat insoluble fiber with your meals, but eat soluble fiber first. One of my favorite breakfasts is Oatbran hot cereal and have no problems eating it. Or if you are eating plain oatmeal add two tbls. of flaxseed meal or wheat germ.

Good luck with your new diet and excercise is great for C too.

Oatmeal new
      #50289 - 03/13/04 05:05 PM
Jules3

SO after a suggestion yesterday, I have added oatmeal as one of my staples...I haven't eaten it since I was a kid, and I had a bowl with dinner, one first thing in the morning, and now one as a snack. Is this overloading my system, or is it ok? No soda and no dairy today, and I must say...my stomach is about half the size it was yesterday

Jules new
      #50292 - 03/13/04 05:27 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yay Jules! Glad your tummy's going down! Good stuff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6273

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review