All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Desperate For Some Answers
      #49327 - 03/10/04 12:37 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I recently came across Heather's books about IBS and began to follow the IBS diet that she suggests. I felt 100% better for the first 2 weeks and then all of a sudden my stomach went back to being sick. I began experiencing the same pain and diarhea that I had before and I had more nausea than I had previously. I feel hopeless again. Feeling so much better for those 2 weeks really got my hopes up and I was looking forward to a normal life. Now it seems that nothing I do can help me. I am also taking Dicetel - an antagonist that is only available in Canada. If someone knows what I'm doing wrong then please help me!! I am desperate!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Desperate For Some Answers new
      #49333 - 03/10/04 01:31 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03

Hi Kimm!

I'm sorry things haven't been going too well vis a vis your tummy.

Please don't despair. It is possible you may not be able to tolerate everything mentioned in Heather's diet. I know I can't. Basically I find it's a trial and error thing where you have to try things out in Heather's diet and see how they agree with you. Some IBS people can tolerate more things than others. Unfortunately, if something doesn't agree with me, it can cause a terrible attack that can take me up to two weeks to recover from so I am usually very cautious with trying things!

For the next day or two, if your tummy is bad, you might want to stick to something very easy to digest to give your tummy a chance to recouperate. For example, you might want to have some plain steamed white rice and some plain baked (skin free, fat free) chicken breast. Heather recommends peppermint tea, which I find is excellent.

Have you been positively diagnosed with IBS? Perhaps you have something else. It took me almost 45 years to find out I had IBS and to figure out what I could eat and what caused me to have an attack. I wish I had discovered Heather's website a lot sooner.

I note you live in the Toronto area. I live there too. Did you know there is an IBS support group here in Toronto? The web link for this group's meeting schedule is http://www.ibsgroup.org/main/meetings.html#ON

The next meeting is on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 7 p.m. at the Mount Sinai Hospital (15th floor classroom) on University Avenue in downtown Toronto.

I hope you feel better very soon. Please keep me posted on how you're doing.

Belinda

#49349 - 03/10/04 03:07 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

The same exact thing happened to me. I've been on the diet a long time and no matter what I do now I can't get back to those first few weeks of teh diet. So Heather, if you have any suggestions or reasons why this happens let us know!! Much appreciated. I know that when I first started I constantly ate plain crispix and pretzels for snack and now I eat more muffins I make with fruit etc. and also I don't snack as much so I've always wondered if this has something to do with it. If I eat plain plain plain good if not bad! Actually I wrote about this the other day! Good luck to you. If you're doooing really bad you could try eating plain toast or rice with cooked fruit/veg and sm amt egg white or veggie protein. For me this worked well! That way you get everything in i.e.solu insol and protein.

Thanks So Much!! new
      #49371 - 03/10/04 04:54 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04

Thank you so much for your advice and your understanding. I was aware of the IBS support group in Toronto and have been considering attending. I have been very busy with work and night school though but in the end of April my schedule should be much more open and I would really like to start attending these meetings. Do you find they help?
Once again...I very much appreciate your responses...makes me feel much better in my stomach just knowing that there are people who understand what I'm going through.

#49375 - 03/10/04 05:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! It could be any number of things that set your tummy off, but try not to be discouraged. ou WILL get better and likely to lead a very normal life once you figure this all out. IT takes a while. As others mentioned, you are likely sensitive to something you ate. Make sure you are incorporating your insoluble fibres carefully - ie cook peel mash and puree, and not taking in any trigger foods. Often there are hidden ingredients in things. As I said, it could be any number of things. As you go, you will figure it out. In the meantime, take heart and keep going. Make yourself lots of peppermint tea for the pain. It helps. Dicetel did nothing for me. I hope it works for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 560

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review