All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Poll - How did everyone's IBS start?? new
      #48418 - 03/05/04 07:31 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

My IBS is due to a flu virus that really hit me for 2 1/2 months, which I believe the stress of what was wrong with me and the stress of needing to get well and not eating, caused the IBS to set in. My family of females have IBs syptoms that range from C'S and D's. I started out severe D and now mostly C or what I call pretty normal. I love This Board and Heather's diet regimen I follow it and can pretty much know what will bring on a attack. I don't use fiber supplements at all right now the diet helps me stay in control of that issue. I do love my chamomile tea and use quite frequently. You know come to think of it I have always had a little IBS all my life, but the flu wirus really unleashed it fully, but now I know what to do and I'm not so worried, there is hope and believing in yourself can make a world of difference. Thanks for sharing your story, together we all make a difference in each others lives.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#48425 - 03/05/04 08:07 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

For the past few years, I found that more and more foods would bother me. Dairy was a give away, but lots of other foods bothered me as well. Things got worse when I got promoted to a position that had me on call 24/7. The pager would go off at odd hours of the morning and my body would never know when to sleep or get up. That stress took a toll on my body and made things much worse.

#48465 - 03/06/04 10:23 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I am 40 years old now, but mine actually started when I was 22. It began when I started my first high school teaching job and was definitely stress related. I started having lots of stress and anxiety because I had really difficult students on top of trying to learn a new job. I started having bouts with D almost everyday after lunch and then certain foods started bringing on the episodes like burgers, gravy, anything fatty or greasy. The doctor gave me Librax back then because it controlled the D, but also has a mild sedative to calm the stress. It worked, but I had to take it for a couple of years before it finally let up enough to go off of it. However, now I am back to the same issue. I started a new job in the library, and although I love it, it was still stressful just learning a new job. That was enough to kick it back into gear again. So here I am starting back at square one and back on my medication. I have just learned that I have a very limited diet. Hope this is helpful. My doctor also said there is a link to endometriosis and IBS, and I have been diagnosed with that as well, so who knows. Mine seems to be more stress related.

#48479 - 03/06/04 01:49 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have no idea how or why mine started, I just remember when I was about 13 at night when I would say my prayers and I'd ask God not to let me have Diarrhea or a diarrhea stomach ache, that's been a few years ago, but there was no diagnosis back than, and it kills me to think that I prayed for that at 13 and now I'm 30something and still have it......... I had been doing great inthe past few months, but this last two weeks has been killer and I don't know why, I have been following my same diet, it gets soooooo frustrating, but I'll get through it, heck after 20+ years of it, you'd think it'd be getting better, actually my GI Dr. told me as you get older it gets better.................I'm waiting.

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#48509 - 03/06/04 08:40 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

MY IBS CAME WHEN I WAS 28 OR 29. IT CAME IN EVERY SYMPTOM IBS HAS. I WENT TO DR AND THEY TOOK A FEW MONTHS TO FIGURE OUT IT WAS IBS. JASPER

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#48511 - 03/06/04 09:15 PM
BarbD

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: Kalamazoo, Mi

My IBS was specifically related to being infected by shrimp. Travelers' Diarrhea was the start of my IBS. That episode was 14 years ago. My husband and I were both treated with antiparasitic medications. My husbands infection resolved with no further episodes. However I have had IBS every since. I am new to Eating for IBS. So far it has been improving. For me it is not stress related.

--------------------
Barb Deibert

#48567 - 03/07/04 03:14 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Mine started 14 years ago, when my husband came home one day from work and said "we are moving, but I don't know when or where to". the plant that he was working at was closing. I started having panic attacks and got very sick. Thought I was losing my mind. All the anxiety from the idea of uprooting started the IBS. I never knew what to eat, until 3 years ago, when I discovered Heather's book, and started eating her diet. It has made a HUGE difference in my life. I feel so much better, and am stable about 90% of the time, if I stick to it, which I almost always do, as I never want another attack again!! It is just not worth it to me. The hypnotherapy tapes helps alot with the anxiety. I don't take any supplements, but I eat oatmeal every a.m., which I find has helped me start the day of right, and I feel better.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#49367 - 03/10/04 04:31 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My IBS began when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I would get chronic D stomach aches and spend hours every day in the washroom. I had tests done to try and figure out what it was and the doctors where unable to determine what was causing it. Then for about 9 years I had no symptoms...I would get a D stomach ache every once in a while (maybe once every 5 or 6 months) but on a day to day basis I was fine. Eventually the symptoms slowly started to reappear. First with chronic constipation and then in the past year it's come back with a venegence and I have a combination of both C and D. I go a week with C and a sore stomach everyday and then I have one really bad day of D. I've been following Heather's diet for the past 3 weeks and have seen some improvement although in the past week I have had 2 D days. But I'm working on it and I'm trying not to get discouraged and give up.

#49377 - 03/10/04 05:13 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi gang,
My IBS started about 10 years ago, when I went through a very stressful period (moved far away from home at 19 with a boy with whom I am still madly in love, but who was also 19 and therefore a little difficult). University, relationships and families are so hard for perfectionists like me, so I know that for me the IBS is totally stress related. Right now I'm getting through my first year of grad school, and the first few months were hell on my IBS (new city, very competitive program, riding the subway every morning). When I have bad days I get depressed, thinking that this #!*@% IBS will keep me from doing all the things I want to do in my life. Grr! But thanks to Heather and the rest of you, things are looking up!
And that's my story!
Laura

#49383 - 03/10/04 05:21 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I got severe IBS-C from severe anorexia and severe binge eating disorder.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4088 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review