All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
stomach flu
      #47613 - 03/02/04 03:36 PM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I was just wondering whether anyone has recently gotten the stomach flu going around. I live in Va and have been suffering with cramps and diarrhea for almost two weeks now. My IBS had gotten a lot better and I was even beginning to gain a pound or two when it hit me. Does anyone know if it hangs onto IBS sufferers longer or if it triggers the IBS to kick in again? I also had a question about protein powder supplements. Does anyone know if they help in gaining weight and which ones (like whey,egg,soy, etc.) would negative effects on IBS w/diarrhea? Any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: stomach flu new
      #47629 - 03/02/04 04:41 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm sorry you got the flu! My mom told me it's going around her workplace here in NY too. It wouldn't surprise me if it affected your IBS and triggered some problems for you. I know whenever I get sick my IBS seems to kick in too. Just eat very carefully for a while and try to get back into the swing of things!

As for protein powder supplements, I would definitely avoid any that contain whey, since whey is the part of milk that contains lactose. Depending on how sensative you are to whole eggs you might want to avoid that too, but that's more of a personal thing. Powders that contain soy should be fine as long as you don't have any intolerances to it. Most of us here do fine woth soy.

I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#47645 - 03/02/04 07:21 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Hi! Sorry you've got the bug right now. Yes to your answer. that's how my IBS got worse. I started out with the plain old stomuch flu that ran for 2 1/1 months with no answers and 57lbs lighter. If you have the D part of your IBS get control of it asap. Eat lightly try eating blan and add herbals that can combat Diahrea. Try a probiotic now don't wait to see if it clears up. I didn't find this board and all of the wonderful info until I was already to thin and weak. Try Rice protien powder it's totally safe check out this website to get you directed. www.riceprotein.com . There are soy brands as well. Eat plenty of yogurt plain soy if the fat free plain yogurts bother you. If your not using a fiber supplement implement that to it will help get your bowels back to normal. Goodluck your in the right place for all kinds of suggestive help. Feel better soon.
Sherri

#47693 - 03/03/04 08:22 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Funny you asked that. I had it 2 months ago and it's still not gone. My doctor said that people with IBS take much longer to get rid of it. But I am wondering if that's it or if my IBS is just getting much worse?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2009 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review