All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fasting when attacks are bad?
      #47213 - 02/29/04 03:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I wanted some advice on fasting when attacks get bad. I'm a real suck and can't stand the pain when I have bad attacks, so in an effort to try and get them to stop as soon as possible, I'll often just stop eating altogether for a few days. I mean completely, I just drink and maybe have some mints. The most I've done this for is a week, but I don't know whether it's good or bad? Because when I do this, it always seems hard to start eating again.
Any thoughts?
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fasting when attacks are bad? new
      #47215 - 02/29/04 03:54 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Oh my gosh this does not sound too healthy for you! The longest I have ever gone is about 6 hours because I end up starving. If you are feeling so sick why not try "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet. I know there is a page in here on that. But going with just water and mints is just not good for your stomach (or your body). I have found that keeping food in my digestive system (even if it's just rice) will make me feel so much better than nothing at all. I used to skip meals all the time and I find that I feel so much better when I can at least eat something small for a meal rather than nothing at all.

#47219 - 02/29/04 04:05 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

Hi Kelly

I'm sorry you've been experiencing bad attacks. Yuck!

I am fairly new to these boards but I don't think fasting is the best way to go for days at a time. I can see skipping a meal and the next meal, eating something really simple like just rice, just plain pasta or just a piece of bread.

For me, when I'm feeling sick, I go back to the simplest soluble fiber meal I can think of and that's Chinese Juk. It's in Heather's Eating for IBS but basically, you boil 1 cup rice with 12 cups water for two hours. You can add soysauce, sesame oil etc to make it taste yummy. I just eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner and drink peppermint or fennel tea in between. It is really soothing yet non-irritating. The next day, I will try to add another soluble fiber food to my diet besides just the Chinese juk. If my body responds OK, I continue to add more soluble fiber foods. But Chinese juk is my staple when I'm feeling awful.

Hope that helps, and hope you feel better

Janet

#47221 - 02/29/04 04:19 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Fasting is not a good idea. It's best to eat small, safe snacks throughout the day to give your colon something to "grip" onto, and keep the pain and spasms at bay. Heather explains this in The First Year. Plus, it's very unhealthy. Your body needs food to function properly.

You are better off following Break the Cycle.. Try drinking peppermint tea for the pain, and any warm tea in general will help. The heat helps the muscles relax, which should make you feel better. Also, a heating pad can help too.

Hope you feel better soon.

#47238 - 02/29/04 05:33 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

I tried doing that on a recent trip. I was under TONNES of stress, was lacking sleep and my stomach was going crazy and I had a 12 hour bus ride, and then did some sight seeing with a girl I met on the bus ride. So I really didn't want to eat anything to make me sick. This was before I had come across this website so all I ate was a couple eggs and a salad for two days (which I realize now was dumb!). The next day I had some chicken for lunch and I was in the washroom 15 minutes later for a really long time. not fun!

I agree, best thing to do is find some snack foods that are safe for you and just have some of them the entire time. It'll make a huge difference.

#47244 - 02/29/04 05:53 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

When I'm having a bad few days I go on my "soft food diet". Bananas, egg, white bread with a think layer of Smuckers seedless jam for breakfast. Tuna sandwich for lunch - no pickles or onions or anything added. Just tuna packed in water with best foods. For dinner maybe some soup. One soup that doesn't bother me is Bear Creek creamy potato soup. They carry it at Costco. There are some freeze dried onions in it but I take beano and it doesn't bother me. Do that for a few days and I'm usually back to normal. Nothing spicy or greasy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1959 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review