All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Change in IBS symptoms after taking Antibiotics
      #46230 - 02/23/04 05:20 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

Hi All,

New to these boards but I'm learning a LOT! Thanks to all of you that so generously give from your experience!

I've had IBS for almost 30 years (cramping and d). In Dec, I had a series of antibiotics for strep throat and then four weeks later, I had a series of antibiotics for a Urinary Tract Infection. About three weeks ago I started experiencing a lot of painful gas, bloating and cramping (oh, and I just treated myself for a yeast infection )

Three questions:

1. Do you think the antibiotics in Dec could have caused this change in my IBS? If so, do you think adding probiotics to my diet will help (I'm already eating soy yogurt)?

2. I've never experienced the gas and bloating with my IBS before. Is this normal/common for one's IBS symptoms to change so drastically? I still have the cramping and d, too.

3. I had a bunch of tests done about ten years ago where they ruled out the other diseases and re-confirmed that I had IBS. Do you think I should ask for more testing because my symptoms have changed?

These boards have been a life-saver. Even though I've had IBS for soooo long, it is like learning about it for the first time.

Janet

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Change in IBS symptoms after taking Antibiotics new
      #46245 - 02/23/04 06:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome! I wouldn't be at all surprised if the antibiotics were the culprit. I always go a bit "wonky" during and after antibiotics of any kind. Especially since you've been on what 3 different kinds in a row? Mercy.
As for the sudden change, well, I'm not sure. Fennel tea is the best thing around for that.
Take some fennel seeds, chop them up or crush them about a teaspoon per mug of boiling water.

As for the Doc visit, may be a good idea, especially since it's been ten years. You've had a change, and it's good to always double check - it's a pain, I know, but so is the cramping.
Make sure there are no hidden triggers in your diet - they could be aggravating the situation as well.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#46249 - 02/23/04 06:20 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Janet, and welcome to the boards! I think the antibiotics could definitely have caused a change in your IBS symptoms. They can really screw up the balance of your gut flora, so probiotics would be a great option to try. I've heard about people having great results with both acidophilus and jarro. If you do a board search you'll find a ton of posts about them!

As for your symptoms changing, yes, that's fairly normal. When I first started out with IBS I didn't get much bloating, but lately that's been one of my biggest problems. Sometimes the symptoms just seem to come out of nowhere! But the good news is maybe they'll go away just as quickly... you just never know.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the tests. It certainly couldn't hurt to ask your doctor what he/she thinks about the possibility, but it's up to you since having your symptons change certainly isn't unusual.

I hope you get things under control soon, and I'll probably see you around the boards!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Welcome, Janet! new
      #46265 - 02/23/04 07:24 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Hi, Janet. I'm new here,too.
A few weeks ago I had a big change in my ibs,too.
Until recent, I was always D, everyday of my known ibs life. Now, I'm C with pain, and bloating. (Though it's much improved on Heather's diet and all the great suggestions here on this site)!
I was diagnosed with an intestinal infection and put on antibiotics. (The infection might have been the trigger that sent me over to the D side, but I don't know for sure)! Anyway, my doctor wants to do a colonoscopy to make sure that this big change is due to the ibs, and not something else.
She said my age is a factor at this point. I'm 49 and that's why she just wants to make sure.
When I asked the people on this board why they think I might have changed so quickly and drastically, they said that if I don't know, they don't know and that I should ask my doctor.
So, I did and that's what made her decide to do the colonoscopy. (I'm waiting to be approved for ins. so I can have it done!)
Anyway, I agree that it's a good idea to tell your doctor your concerns.
Terri

#46403 - 02/24/04 12:16 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

hi guys

Thanks for the input! I just bought the jarro. I am really hoping that helps.

I am scheduled to see my OBGYN on Thursday and I'll see what she says about more tests. I at least want her to rule out Ovarian Cancer. I didn't realize that the symptoms were so similar to IBS.

You guys are great!

janet

#46418 - 02/24/04 01:40 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Yes, antiobiotics always make my smyptoms worse. I think I've been told the yeast multiplies in your system. This is going to sound nutso but here goes: In the past when I've taken antiobiotics sometimes I got worse (IBS wise) and sometimes better. I came to this conclusion. Feeling worse came from the antiobiotics. The feeling better came from something else. Occasionally the antibiotics (depending on the kind I was given) gave me a yeast infection. Then I had to take monostat to cure that. It was AFTER THE MONOSTAT that my stomach problems improved. A Diflucan will do the same thing. The same thing happens if I consume too much sugar over a period of time. My occasional IBS symptoms started to occur daily with almost everything I ate. When I get bad like this I use the monostat and half way through the treatment I start to improve. I generally have to do this 2-3 x a year. I've told my doctor and get the eye rolling look but it works for me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review