All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Post "D" Gas
      #4559 - 03/30/03 05:11 PM
Lisa

Reged: 03/28/03

Thanks for your answers on Soy...I was just reading through the posts for the last few weeks and you all have such great advice I thought I'd ask another question: After a bad IBS episode I'll be fine the next day but on the second day have very painful gas that does not move and is almost worse the an IBS attack since it lasts more than 24 hours. It feels like I just need to pass some gas but even when I do it offers no relief. I find even the Gas-X or other over the counter meds don't help much. The only thing that helps is to lay on my side but that's hard to do at work!Anyone else experience this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Post "D" Gas new
      #4574 - 03/30/03 08:11 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

YES, YES, YES!!!!!! I do the exact same thing and it is soooo painful isn't it??!! It's just awful and it's one of my main symptoms. I always have this after an episode and for days and days it goes on. Gas-X or any other OTC gas medicine will not even touch it, they don't help at all, it's so strange. Just wanted you to know that you are definitely not alone on this one!...

Meg:)

#4575 - 03/30/03 09:17 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I sometimes get this too. I was told it is air in the intestines, since they are literally empty from the D. I too must lay down until it passes, which I know is hard to do at work. Sometimes I just have to wait until I get home to lay down to relieve it.

Karen

#4576 - 03/30/03 10:18 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

There definitely seem to be different kinds of bloating and gas. I'm currently not having D attacks or IBS cramping but I'm trying to introduce soy milk and it gives me so much bloating, it's quite amazing. I feel like my whole inside is bubbling! But the gas always seems to be on the move, it may have problems and give me pain, but eventually it will 'travel' through and be released. It is a bit distracting but it's not worrying, it doesn't feel WRONG, like when I'm having a 'proper' IBS attack. I think the question is whether and to which extent your colon is cramped up when the gas is produced.

I've always found that soluble fiber helps with this post-D-attack bloating quite a bit. I think you're right about it having something to do with your colon being empty, too, because I tend to get this, these days only lightly, after EVERY BM. That's how I got the habit of taking my fibre supplement about one hour after my BM.

Susaloh

P.S. thanks to the thread on soy and HEather's comment I'm not panicking about the bloating. I'm taking "Beano" with it and I'll wait for a week to see what happens.

#4626 - 03/31/03 11:32 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI this is just some good info on gas.

Controlling Gas
Adapted from National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse - NIH Publication No. 97-883, May 1995 (Updated: November 1998); and the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders Education Program Guide for Functional GI Disorders, 1997.

http://www.aboutincontinence.org/Gas.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Shawneric, Brilliant information! new
      #4637 - 03/31/03 12:59 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

#4654 - 03/31/03 03:22 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi
I get this too, this unmoving painful gas bloating always about 6-10 hours after a diarhea attack. It makes walking or standing very painful, and eating food only intensifies the pain . What I find works is lying flat on my back, and massaging my abdomen firmly and/or lightly with my hands, (clockwise-ish) gradually around in the direction that my large intestine takes from ascending, to transverse to descending and then back to the beginning again, and start over until some relief begins to happen. Within an hour I am usually able to expell this bloated trapped air, some times it takes longer. Peppermint tea, chamomile, or fennel also helps.
Good Luck
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

#4657 - 03/31/03 03:29 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

To all the "gassers" - I found that a long time ago when I used to get terrible cramps from gas that if I rubbed my tummy like you said the pain would subside. Also, breathing normally helps and not holding your breath when the pain starts to stab.

I don't get pain like that any more so I thought I'd just try to help.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4683 - 03/31/03 05:20 PM
Lisa

This makes a lot of sense. I have noticed that it is worse when my stomach is empty although it is harder to eat by then. Lately, when this happens I've been trying to eat little things every hour or so to avoid letting my stomach get too empty. Although it doesn't go away completely I do think it helps.

ALthough my IBS has been much improved after reading Heather's book and now knowing what my trigger foods are, I rely a lot on Altoids - they go a long way in reducing the severity of an attack and they're quicker then making a cup of tea. Before the severe pains start I usually feel a strange sensation in my stomach and know what's coming. I chew several Altoids and it's amazing how much that helps.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

#4690 - 03/31/03 05:38 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

This happens to me occasionally - what I find helps is a heating pad (yes, hard to do at work) but also - if I take 3 max strength Phazymes right after the "d-attack", well before the gas pain begins, I can avoid it. If I can tell my gut is still not right after a couple of hours (I envision a clawing cat inside my lower tummy!), I will take another 2-3 Phazymes to try to avoid the cramping gas. I have also found a helpful position to allow the gas to pass is leaning over on a counter so my tummy "hangs" - it seems to allow more room for the intestines to "spread out" and allow the air to move. I think what causes the cramping gassy feeling is that the bowels are spasming and the gas gets trapped in pockets of bowel (think of the spasms tightening the bowel like the pinches of a sausage casing to form the individual sausages) - I once described this image to my GI and he said that is just what's going on. I just know it hurts!

#4692 - 03/31/03 05:46 PM
Lisa

You are right about the 'cat clawing' I have three so it's an easy visual. Phyzyme was the other medication I couldn't remember. I have tried them but not immediately after an attack. I will try that.

#4693 - 03/31/03 06:20 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

You mentioned a heating pad - hard to do at work, like you said, but I have found that Thermacare is a life saver. It is like a tiny heating pad that tapes to the inside of pants or underwear, and stays hot at least 8 hours. (Helps for period cramps too.) Here's the website - I get mine from WalMart.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: Thermacare new
      #4708 - 03/31/03 07:48 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey! I just bought some of those the other day to try, because I get bad period cramps which gives makes my IBS flare up too. I thought they may help. I got the playtex brand, because they were cheaper & I had a coupon! Have you tried them yet? I was just wondering how they compare.

Thanks,
Mags

#4844 - 04/01/03 05:32 PM
H2

I didn't even know there was another brand! I will keep an eye out next time, cheaper is always good!

Thanks!

--------------------
-h2

#4847 - 04/01/03 05:36 PM
*Melissa*

I haven't tried either yet. This was my first purchase. I haven't used them yet, but I'm sure I will be next week! I'll let you know if they work!

Oh & if you do look for them, for some reason they weren't together (at least at Target they weren't). They were with the "feminine needs", while the Thermacare were with the heating pads & pain killers. That's logical, isn't it?

#4848 - 04/01/03 05:40 PM
H2

Probably why I didn't notice them in the pain care section. I am usually a comparision shopper and thought it was odd I hadn't noticed the other brand.

I've noticed a lot of my IBS needs are in odd locations. Sometimes my soy yoghurt is with other yoghurt, sometimes it is in the organic section. And my short grain rice is in ethnic foods several aisles away from all the other rice.

You really need to be a detective with IBS!

--------------------
-h2

#4920 - 04/02/03 10:51 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I prefer Thermacare because the pad is actually bigger so it covers a bigger area. The playtex brand is much smaller. Just some information to help you.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Re: Thanks! :) nt new
      #4952 - 04/02/03 03:48 PM
*Melissa*

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3401

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review