All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please please help....
      #45278 - 02/16/04 09:32 PM
collegegirl

Reged: 02/16/04

Hi everyone...just joined because I am unsure what to do...I have had ibs for over a year. My guess is as a result of the combination of a violent stomach flu episode and tremendous amount of stress. It disappeared over the summer when the stress went away, and returned this year when the stress became even more unbearable. I finally admitted to myself that it was probably ibs and even saw a doctor for it. He confirmed that it was probably ibs and put me on antidepressants to control the illness. I have been on the medication for five weeks now and have seen little improvement. Unaware of the long-term effects, I've been using coffee as a C quick-fix in the morning. My symptoms are still out of control and I finally realized that the coffee is actually prolonging the effect of ibs-C. Tomorrow will be my first day off of coffee and I am truly scared of the thought of being C again. I am going on a wonderful vacation in three weeks and I had hoped to be under control by then, but now it seems that is going to be harder than thought...It is extremely difficult to obtain all the foods necessary to get IBS under control in college dorms. The cafeteria food offers little choice and I have no access to a car or grocery store very often. Please, PLEASE help me with any advice you have of how I can break this viscious cycle as soon as possible. I don't know what to do anymore....Thank you very much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please please help.... new
      #45281 - 02/17/04 01:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh boy! Well, you've come to the right place? Where are you at college - they're quite a few students on here and they might be able to give you some local knowledge.

First thing I'd suggest is get a soluble fibre supplement ASAP. Heather's acacia is ordered online - good for you I'd guess. This'll make a huge difference, tho you give to give it time to work at its best (weeks not days).

Second, and most importantly, have you had all the tests to rule out anything else? This is VERY IMPORTANT. You need to have a stool sample tested (for infection) and you NEED to have a colonoscopy. Without ruling out everything else, you can't just assume its IBS. VERY, VERY DANGEROUS to do so.

Thirdly, it seems a little strange to me that your doc has put you on antidepressants first and only. These can definitely help, but there're lots of drugs for IBS - I thought using antidepressants was a second-stage medication when you've tried other stuff. Query this. For example, I am on (I'm IBS-d/a) an anti-spasmodic for the tummy cramps, immodium for my diarhoea, Zoton for my acid reflux PLUS anti-depressants (for depression as well as IBS). The anti-depressants were the last thing I started.

Kicking coffee is really good . Honestly, you will feel better. Get some herbal teas instead (again you can order these from Heather online, so no need for shops). Most IBSers are good with Peppermint, but this is to be avoided if you get heartburn. If you do, try Chamomile instead. Fennel (or anything with it in it as it's strong tasting) is best for bloating. And ginger is best for nausea (but again, be careful if you get heartburn).

I reckon its possible to avoid the bad foods even at a cfeteria, but you'll have to be strict with yourself and tell people you can't eat certain foods so you can check what's in what. Baked potatoes are great - if you have them with salad (a good source of INsoluble fibre for your C) just eat most of the potato before you start the salad. Avoid butter on anything - maybe use ketchup instead? I love low-fat mayo, but I guess the cafeteria might not have this. Sarnies are also good. Stick to white bread and try and get yours fresh-made so you can ask for no butter. I usually have tuna and cucumber (which I tolerate fine). If the cafeteria has hot food, try boiled/baked potatoes, carrots or other root veges (soluble fibre) and either chicken or fish. With chicken, I'd guess peeling any skin off would be good.

Try and find a health food store, even if you can only get there once a month. You could then stock up on soya milk, soya desserts, herbal teas, decaf tea etc.

I eat crackers (just from the supermarket) alot. Just check the labels for dairy products etc. Another point - quitting dairy products (or just avoiding them as often as possible) will really help. I take soya milk wherever I go and then I can have cereal, etc without a problem.

There're loads of food suggestions on here. Peaches is at school, so she's got ideas (pretzels?) and loads of the others are at college or something.

Hope this helps. Keep on talking.

Lins

Re: Wow, Linz ... great suggestions! new
      #45454 - 02/17/04 06:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have little more to add as Linz has given you amazing advice here. I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time.
Make sure you always have a soluble fiber food with you. Buy a dozen white buns (or if you can get them in the cafeteria)or white french bread and have some at every meal and snack. Base ALL your meals on white rice, a baked potato or a slice of white french bread or noodles. Can you get any of those in the caf on a consistent basis?
Take care and let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Wow, Linz ... great suggestions! new
      #45486 - 02/18/04 03:09 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Thanks Han ! I've been on weird diets for years - I was on one very similar to this for migraines and then I was vegan for a while and then I was vegetarian and now I eat fish, but no meat - so I am so used to hunting out food !

#45494 - 02/18/04 05:12 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

Hi! I'm a junior in college with major IBS-C and other complications, like ulcers, etc, etc so just hang in there. If I were you I would address the stress part first. Your bowels aren't gonna move if you're in emergency mode. Put your health before crazy college, 'cause you won't make it through if you're worrying about it and life all the time anyway, so don't. Do you exercise? Yoga? Just a thought. Stretching exercises will make you feel very good. As for eating, I know cafeterias will surprise you with their helpfulness if you just ask. A friend of mine was vegetarian and asked for at least a pasta bar, and sure enough we got one. Why don't you ask for one in your cafetera, along with a salad/fruit bar, if there isn't one? How about deli sandwhiches - do they have those? My cafeteria had a make your own sandwhich line, so something like that might be nice - you could choose your bread, toppings...Let me know all the details of your cafeteria, and I'll brainstorm with you if you like.

*evie

#45534 - 02/18/04 10:49 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Evie had a good suggestion about asking the caf. for a vegetarian bar. My undergrad dining hall also had a nutritionist, so maybe yours does too. Then you can explain your problems and work out solutions with someone who knows (or should know!) what is in the dining hall food...maybe you don't really wanna know (LOL). I'd be more than happy to help you brainstorm ideas too! I know how hard it is to eat in a cafeteria--I'm a grad student now and some of my friends who don't like to cook want to eat at the caf., but I am lucky to have the option to say no thanks or to bring my own lunch along. Of course the stress of college doesn't help your tummy any either, so feel free to vent if you need to! Hope things work out for you!

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3021 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review