All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flaxseed
      #44859 - 02/13/04 01:18 PM
liz66

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Washington State

I'm curious to know if anyone who has had a total abdominal hysterectomy and has IBS-D has used flaxseed as a supplement in foods to help with hot flashes instead of HRT. Was it or can it be an irritant to IBS? Does anyone know? Appreciate any help you can give me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flaxseed: soluble or insoluble??? new
      #44955 - 02/14/04 05:11 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi,
I'm too young for HRT but am on flaxseed for PMS stuff. I have a 1/4 tsp twice a day with my psyllium, doesn't seem to cause problems. I used to take the oil in capsule form or in shakes, which seemed to help. But I am very curious to know if it is mostly soluble or insoluble fiber????

#44980 - 02/14/04 09:35 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Flaxseed is 2/3 insoluble and 1/3 soluble. It took me forever to find this information. A small amount, like you're taking is no problem but some folks put heaping tablespoons on things and that would not be wise for we folks. However, I've sucessfully added up to 1 tablespoon to a large smoothie with no problems as long as there was some soluble fiber on my tummy first.

Ever tried Evening of Primrose oil for PMS?

--------------------

#45562 - 02/18/04 02:05 PM
liz66

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Washington State

You said that flax seed is 2/3 insoluble and 1/3 soluble. Where did you find this information? I read that it is mostly soluble. Confused? Thanks.

#45568 - 02/18/04 02:50 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'll look for the article.......( but don't hold your breath----my filing system is not the greatest these days).....Think about it's actions and properties.....it's tough to grind, and if taken whole, it never digests........just absorbes a little water while it's in your system and passes thru whole. I've heard some say corn acts the same way with them....they can take it in the ground form but whole just passes right thru them. (The inside of a corn kernel is soluble while the outside shell is insoluble......same with beans.) Besides, seeds in general are always, as far as I know, more insoluble than soluble. The only exception I can think off might be the chia seed, but even that's iffy.

Anyway, I'll get back to you........ And I'm sure Heather will jump in on this if I'm wrong.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1970 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review