All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help with portion sizes!
      #4367 - 03/28/03 05:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I know it's a good idea to eat lots of small meals. I try, really I do! I try to eat a half a cup of the pasta/rice I make--but I find myself eating the whole cup (too much for my tummy to handle in one sitting!) Usually, I make, say, 2 cups of rice or pasta. I plan on eating a half a cup in one sitting and then I take some to work (no way to cook anything at work--I have to bring things already made from home--not even a microwave!) Even though I take the portion from what I start with and put it in a bowl--it doen't seem like much food, or I think I'm still hungry, so I'll go back for more. (I also probably eat too fast--I'm working on that too!) I recall Heather mentioning in her book that we should use small bowls/plates. What a great idea! On occasion, I've tried this, but I still find myself going back for a second bowl I find the hardest time is when I'm eating with my husband and he has a full course meal (if I just eat half a baked potato, and he's still eating most of his meal, what should I do with myself?) Plus, at the school where I teach, I only get 5 minutes to eat--so I force down as much food as I can knowing I won't get to eat for the next three hours (another difficulty in eating lots of little meals--by the end of teaching I'm famished and as soon as I get home I ransack the fridge! I'm not overweight or anything, but my IBS flares up when I eat too much at once. My average food intake per day is a half cup of oatmeal, half a box of pasta, and a cup or two of rice. (I also take a multivitamin and am adding babyfood fruit in a couple of bites at a time). Sometimes instead of the rice of pasta I have a potato (baked or sweet).
Thanks everyone for letting me vent! If you have ANY IDEAS I will be SO greatful! You've all been an enermous help to me so far--thanks again everyone!

Happy Friday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with portion sizes! new
      #4384 - 03/28/03 07:25 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Ruchie, my little knish - it's very difficult for me to watch portion sizes, so this is what I do. And I tend to knosh after I finish my meal, so here are some guidelines.

I only put on my plate what I will eat. I either put the rest in front of my husband or over by the sink so I can't reach it without getting up. If you give yourself 1/2 c of rice or pasta and then put something on top of that, it will really spread out giving the appearance of more than it really is.

I think 5 minutes for lunch is against the law when it comes to working, isn't it? And, why don't you have more time than that? That's ridiculous.

I know it seems rude to do, but we gotta do what we gotta do...so if you finish eating before hubby, get up from the table and start putting things away or put your dishes in the dishwasher, or do something else. But don't sit there and stare at the food. Also, when I'm finished eating, I take my plate and put it someplace where it's not in front of me just staring me in the face.

FACT: It takes your tummy about 20-30 minutes to get the signal to your brain that you're full. So, use the WW 5 minute test--wait five or more minutes after you finish eating to see if you're REALLY still hungry. color]

Is that all you're eating is rice, pasta and oatmeal? Try putting some of the Imagine cream soups on your pasta or rice to help fill you up, or even a slice of bread with fruit butter or jelly. Use your imagination and re-read Heather's first book and refresh your memory a bit.

Your husband might not like the fact that you get up from the table before he's done, but if that's what it takes, then do it and apologize and tell him you'll make it up to him--somehow!!! Get creative!

Hope this helps a little.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4385 - 03/28/03 07:26 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

It sounds like you eat less than I do, but I spread my food out all day. I understand though about not being able to do that where you work...

You said you teach? Is it at all possible for you to keep snacks at your desk like rice cakes, saltines or small baguettes? I realize you can't lecture with your mouth full, but are there times when students are doing deskwork? I don't know if your school would allow that, but you could also talk to your principal about needing a little accomidation for your health condition.

Best of luck and take care,
H2

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: Help with portion sizes! H2 new
      #4386 - 03/28/03 07:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thank you SO MUCH for getting back to me!!

I teach kindergarten! So you have to stay on top of the kids every second or your have to redirect them all over again! That's the tough part (the best part is how cute they are!) Redirecting them is challenging so I try to avoid that at all costs (and if a second makes a BIG difference--imagine what minutes mean!) You did give me an idea for teaching--maybe I can eat a bite here and a bite there...it really depends on the day though. The kids always need something and they always have a question (can I use the loo?) *sigh*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4391 - 03/28/03 07:50 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I used to teach first grade and I kept snacks in my desk, if the kids asked I just told them I had "tummy trouble" and needed a snack. A couple of them would get wise and tell me that their stomach hurt and could they have some too? I told them they had to go to the doctor and if he sent a note saying they needed it they could do it. They said no thanks!!! ;>)

As for portions, I've actually taught my dh to get full sooner. He was a classic overeater, and really wanted to lose some weight. He learned that with some self control, after a few weeks, his stomach or appetite or whatever signal it is in there, LEARNED to be satisfied with less. Paying attention to his body this way has been the main key to him losing some needed weight - he does not have IBS, but it's the same concept. I know it's hard but set aside what you should eat and just use that ole will power to eat only that, and in a couple of hours you can have something else, that way the tummy can handle it better.

Not trying to sound harsh by saying it's a matter of will power, hope you know that! Just saying that if you can stick with it long enough you'll train your body to feel satisfied sooner. Good luck!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#4401 - 03/28/03 10:39 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Ruchie! Happy Friday to you too...aren't Friday's great!

Anyway, I don't have any ideas for your not being able to eat throughout the day (good luck with that!), but I do have a little trick that I kind of started by accident for the eating too much. I just did it as a matter of fact, because I just had lunch not too long ago. I got these hard candies a while back (they're called old-fashioned clove drop candies--really good!--but I'm sure any kind will work) and I keep them in a container on my counter. After lunch as soon as I finish eating, I have one. This keeps my mouth busy for a while so I won't eat anymore, plus satisfies my after-I-eat sweet tooth. By the time the candy is done, I'm not hungry anymore. I consciously realized I was doing this about halfway through the bag (which was about a month or so). For some reason I only do this at lunch...I never want more after dinner.

Just one of my many kooky little things I do. Maybe it will help you too.

Good Luck!
Mags

#4404 - 03/28/03 11:34 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

That is awesome advice! For some reason my brain has a delay talking to my stomach. I can eat a bowl of rice and still feel hungry, but if I wait a few minutes, I start to feel full. Sucking on a candy would keep me from going back for more while my slow brain catches on that I'm full.

Thanks!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#4405 - 03/28/03 11:42 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi Ruchie,
are you sure you're not loosing weight? I don't know how much 'half a box of pasta' would be but you seem to eat very little! And did I get you right that there's no protein in your diet? How long can you survive without protein? I'm really puzzled and wondering if it is possible to live without any protein and for how long? I felt so much better physically once I was able to add some - if only a few bites - of meat or fish to my rice. And I used to think of myself as a semi-vegetarian!

Susaloh

Re: Help with portion sizes! Susaloh new
      #4413 - 03/28/03 01:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

Susaloh,

Thanks for responding! The diet I mentioned is my average daily diet. Sometimes I have fish for dinner instead of rice. I've tried soy and wheat gluten as well--but I have to incorporate these gradually. Thanks for the concern! If you have any other non-dairy/non-meat soy ideas, that'd be much appreciated! (I keep Kosher--so that makes things a bit tougher--no shrimp, etc.). Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruchie

P.S. My weight is pretty stable--but bloating and gas make me go from one size to another from morning to midday! Crazy!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Help with portion sizes! Mags new
      #4416 - 03/28/03 01:52 PM
Snow for Sarala

Mags,

Friday's are the best!

The candy idea sounds delicious! I used to use gum--but it made me pretty gassy! Can hard candies cause that problem (been a while since I've had em' but it strikes me they caused me problems too). Anyway, I'm considering trying it (I'll try anything!) and if I do I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks bunches for the suggestion! Hope you're feeling well--enjoy the weekend!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Help with portion sizes! Sharon new
      #4418 - 03/28/03 02:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Shandela,

You are TOO CUTE!

The job is teaching 5 year olds--there's no break. If you take a break, it takes at least 5 minutes to get them back "in line" They're a great group--but at that age they test--it's how they learn. (I LOVE psychology so I find it all terribly interesting!) Anyhow, I suppose I could speak to someone about taking a break--but it's not worth it. The stress of getting the kids calmed down after the break is bad for my tummy too!

I like your ideas a lot! (Everyone on this board has such great ideas--it's wonderful!) I will def. try the 5 minute WW wait and see...and I'll let you know how it goes!
I think I'll also go wash dishes and then sit on the couch while my hubby eats dinner--the couch is in the same room as the dinning table--so I can still be with him and away from the food! (The couch was his suggestion!) Thank G-d he's beginning to understand me and IBS--and he's being very supportive!

I think I get full very easily. That's part of the prob. I want to keep eating even after I'm full. I'm full after one fourth cup of oatmeal! But I end up eating a half anyway because it tastes yummy. (If I listen to my body and stop eating when I'm full--I'd probably lose weight--not something I need to do. I used to weight about 5 pounds less than I do now in high school because I only ate when I was hungry. I think that's the way to go though--only eat when I'm hungry...and maybe many small meals). sorry for babbling!

Thanks so much for responding--and for the e-mail!!!! Hope you're having a very happy Friday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Help with portion sizes! Mags new
      #4419 - 03/28/03 02:08 PM
*Melissa*

Ruchie - I think gum causes gas because it causes you to swallow air. Hard candies should be fine--just watch what kind you have, because of ingredients. For example, I wouldn't have those cream kind or buttery kind. You could even have peppermint hard candy which may help your tummy as an added bonus. You could also try an altoids. I've heard that brushing your teeth stops hunger because of the flavor, so maybe the mint would help also? Just a thought...

Have a great weekend!
Mags

Re: Help with portion sizes! Michelle new
      #4420 - 03/28/03 02:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle,

I definately think will power has a lot to do with it! And, you're not saying will power power is easy--you're just stating the facts! (It's so sweet that you care enough and are sensative enough to make sure I am taking it the right way and that I don't think you're being too harsh--no worries there, I def. don't!)

I am definately going to try listening to my tummy more--and I'll let you know how that goes. At some point I learned to ignore that full feeling--I guess I'm just going to have to get it back!

How are htings with you? Hope you're feeling well! Happy Friday--have a great weekend!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4421 - 03/28/03 02:10 PM
*Melissa*

You're welcome!

I hope it works for you too!

Have a great weekend!
Mags

Re: Help with portion sizes! - WHAT'S "DH"?... new
      #4422 - 03/28/03 02:53 PM
SharonMello

Michelle - what in the world is "dh"? The only thing I can think of is "dumb husband" but you're so sweet, I wouldn't think you'd call him that...would you???

sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#4475 - 03/29/03 02:14 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

What about drinking some peppermint tea after your meal, if you're still hungry? That will help soothe your tummy, or some other herbal tea???

Re: Help with portion sizes! Susaloh new
      #4503 - 03/30/03 01:10 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi Ruchie,
I think I'm at a similar stage. I've just started using soy milk (I don't drink it but cook it in with rice or oatmeal) and I'm now having a slice of gluten free bread once in a while. Seems to be okay so far. Whenever I feel worse I tend to cut out everything again which I'm determined not to do to such a point anymore if there's not an obvious link, because otherwise I'm not getting anywhere in terms of expanding my diet. I eat rice three times a day but with different 'extras', i.e with stewed apple,cinnamon and sugar for breakfast, with fish or chicken breast and stewed carrots for lunch and in the evening I add in a thin slice of turkey breast or so. I'm being very regular with what I eat and I never eat any meat on its own. But the amounts of fish/meat are always tny compared to the amount of rice. I need two days to finish half a skinless chicken breast filet (I'm now so organised I've got loads of single halves of chicken breasts in my freezer!). As opposed to you I'm snacking all day long (rice cakes) but I'm not working at the moment so that's not a problem. No way I could crunch these away at a job, with all the crumbling!

Anyway, all the best

Susaloh

#4511 - 03/30/03 07:21 AM
SharonMello

Jillie - Nice to see you on "board" again. How've you been? Went to your website or link (I can't remember now what was in your profile) and read a bit. I feel for you, kiddo.

Try to post more to these boards and see if it helps with the support and friends you've found here.

I used to do computer graphic art until my hands and arms gave out about 12 years ago. I still love to do it but can only do it for about 10 min at a time and then have to rest the extremities!!!! What kind do you do? How's the weather in NJ these days??? My old stomping grounds in my younger days--near Cherry Hill, Runnemede, Bellmawr, Camden.

Take 'er easy.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1936 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review