All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!!!!! I end up in the ER again
      #43589 - 02/06/04 10:48 PM
kathyjo

Reged: 02/03/04

Hi everyone,
I'm a newby. I am almost finished with "First yr w/IBS" and I'm trying very hard to change my eating. But last week I ended up in the hospital for 3 1/2 days for dehydration. Yesterday in the ER for a few hours for the worst pain I ever had in my life. It hit out of no where at work, I was crying because I hurt so bad. It was even worst than child birth. I can't keep doing this, its so hard on my family and work doesn't understand at all. I'm afraid to eat anything, but I know I have too. Does anyone feel cold all the time too?? And I'm so tired all the time, yes it could be from some of the meds that my doctor(s) are trying but I just feel so run down. I need help, anything I am willing to try ANYTHING.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help!!!!! I end up in the ER again new
      #43590 - 02/07/04 01:31 AM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Honey,make sure you eat,atlest something every 2 hours.I don,t care if it is one slice of bread,frence or sour douge you got to have something to eat at all times in your tummy
if I go any where I carry bread,fat free crackers,water at all times,winter or summer.Gerry10

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Welcome! new
      #43593 - 02/07/04 04:39 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Welcome to the boards, Kathy. I'm sorry you've been going through such a tough time! My best advice would be just to make SURE you've eliminated all dairy and high fat foods from your diet, since those are some of the biggest culprits for attacks. Also, you've been following the "what to eat when you can't eat anything at all" diet, I assume? I'd say just keep doing that for a while, and just like Gerry said, make sure you keep something innocuous in your stomach like toast or dry cereal. Good luck, and come on back if you have more questions. Feel better soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#43615 - 02/07/04 09:10 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

Oh! I very sorry you've been through all this. I hope you've learned your lesson. I can never get enough water. And if you make sure you drink lots and lots of water (especially with every meal that has fiber in it, you'll realize how much better you feel. We need a lot of water and then some for the ibs and fiber, and if you've reached the point of dehydration, you need lots more.

Yes, I had a time when I was cold all the time (resorted to taking 3 warm showeres a day) and could barely lift my arms. Could be dehydration? I was never diagnosed as such, though.

*evie

#43626 - 02/07/04 10:15 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

That sounds awful! Keep sticking with the really safe foods, hopefully you'll start to adjust and feel better. Hope things go better for you.

--------------------
IBS-C

#43637 - 02/07/04 12:52 PM
kathyjo

thank you FishNet. I do eat "safe" foods, very bland too. I know that I'm still new at this. Hopefully it will start working.
thanks again

#43640 - 02/07/04 12:59 PM
kathyjo

Hi evie,
All I can drink is water and gatorade. I'm trying tea too. Anything else--forget it. But my insides just get to the point that I gag on my own spit (not to sound gross). I try everything I can before I pick up the phone to call the doctor. The hospital is the last place that I want to be. I stay to "safe" foods too. Sometimes its just bread and water to let my stomach settle down. And I do take fiber pills everyday too.

#43642 - 02/07/04 01:29 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

What do they do for you in the ER?Gerry10

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#43655 - 02/07/04 05:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Kathyjo, welcome to the boards! I'm so sorry for the pain and suffering you've been through recently. Your case sounds very severe. Have you been properly dianosed and gone through all the tests? Have they tested for celiac as well? Do you have allergies? It's critical that you have the right diagnosis.
What fiber supplement are you taking? If it's not acacia, I would strongly suggest you switch. Acacia will not cause bloating and gas and cramping like other fibers - especially ones that contain psyllium. Heather sells it here on her website. It's well worth it and it ships really fast.
I would recommend strong peppermint tea. Not only will it ease the colon spasms, it will also ease the pain. It counts also to as it will help rehydrate you. You have to be careful with diarrhea - make sure you replenish your fluids.
I would stop with the gatorade. I know - I did the same thing. They actually make things worse because the artificial flavours and colours can only aggravate attacks. Ask your Doc if you need an electrolyte supplement or something to replenish them.
Finally, what are you eating? Bland doesn't mean safe. An apple can cause me tons of trouble in painful attacks. IF I peel it and cook and mash it, it's fine.
Remember to peel, mash, puree and cook all fruits and vegetables.
For now, try this: eat these foods for a day or two with tons of peppermint tea. See if you can feel better, then we'll slowly try to get you back on foods. This link is my bible: I consider it the foundation for all of my meals. PS- soda crackers are great for settling upset tummies. web page
Please update us - I'm really concerned for you and I pray that you feel better soon.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 862

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review