Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Developing Allergies new
      #43405 - 02/05/04 06:44 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Quote:

I've mentioned in a couple posts that I have a confirmed allergy to apples and peaches. I get severe hives and my throat closes up just like someone who's allergic to bee stings. I have to get to an emergency room right away or I'll die of suffocation.

Wow....I think I'll go change my screen name.....

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ADBs and Purists new
      #43406 - 02/05/04 06:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Bev, you make me laugh. I'm SO totally with you on the "do not take away the chocolate flavour" - it's got to be all or nothing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: NO Safe Approach for me just now. new
      #43433 - 02/05/04 10:05 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Kandee: I also have problems with cocoa and was thinking today that maybe they mix something benign into it to make it more powdery. I read a label today that spoke of alkali in one brand of cocoa. My friend suggested that I try using half cocoa and half carob to see if I could get by with that combo. Have you tried that technique?

Cocoa/Carob mix? new
      #43438 - 02/05/04 10:53 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Oh my gosh Karin, Did you have ESP tonight, were you reading my mind??? I was just thinking how, when I've been off the cocoa COMPLETELY for a few months if I might be able to mix the 2, a little cocoa with a little more carob and hopefully have the cocoa taste dominate the (horrid) carob taste, and thus avoid a reaction.

The alkali concept is interesting. Wonder if that's the real culprit and that one who is sensitive should look for a brand that doesn't use alkali, or, does it HAVE to be used for part of the processing? I dunno.

I DID try making my beloved brownies tonight using the carob and my wheat alt. flour mix. I used less carob and more sugar like Allie suggested, which worked out well. I also added a little vanilla into the batter and made a vanilla glaze. It was ok, not spectacular, but ok. It will just HAVE to suffice for a while, no matter how much of an unhappy camper I am. Chocolate is truly one of the pure joys of my life!!

--------------------

Re: Not Even Cocoa! new
      #43443 - 02/05/04 11:54 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hey bag lady,

Nope, only carob for a while, likely a long while.

Guess my cocoa ranks right up there with your cuppa joe and Jack. Do you ever get the feeling you're in a 12 step program?

But yes, we have a lot to be thankful for. It could be a lot worse. Like your Canadian friend, I had a senior neighbor fellow I watched over who had lost part of his mouth and tongue to cancer. He could only eat mushy. Mushy soups, mushy cream of wheat.....and booze (for the pain). I used to have him for Thanksgiving and he would stuff himself full of (mushy) homemade mashed potatoes and gravy with some ground (mushy) turkey in it and jelled cranberry sauce........oh yes, and booze to wash it all down. He's gone now, but I still have fond memories of him.

OK, I will get thru this.......There's always sugar left....Now, where is my recipe for Kree's gingerbread muffins?

Krazee K w/o Kocoa

--------------------

#43446 - 02/06/04 06:03 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hey Krazee,

A couple of years ago, when my doctor suggested I go off wheat (which was sooooo hard), he said "food isn't pleasure, it's fuel for your body". Now I'm not saying that when my husband is eating a big bag of sour cream n' onion potato chips and a Coke that I don't get a little pissed off that I can't share in the fun, but I've tried to find other things that give me pleasure besides food. Like a long hot bath, renting a movie, playing scrabble and scoring 400 (I've played ALOT of scrabble as a result of this strategy). Anyway, I try to think of meals as "fuelling up" rather than times for pleasure, and it seems to help!

By the way, do you have recipe books that are gluten/dairy/egg/sugar free? And were any allergy tests helpful for you, or do you just know right away with hives etc?

Laura

Re: Safe Approach to Chocolate!! new
      #43454 - 02/06/04 06:33 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

Laura..I wish I could eat only one piece of chocolate.
I am a chocoholic. I can't eat just a little. I start
out doing that and then I increase and increase until
most of my diet consists of chocolate. I would go
to chocolate eaters anonymouse if there was one. Instead
I'm abstaining for now. It's been 5 or 6 months since
I had any chocolate and I've really been craving some
lately but I know that one leads to tons of wonderful
chocolate and a lot of stomach pain.

I'll have to live vicariously through you.

--------------------
A Safe Place

Re: Cocoa/Carob mix? new
      #43456 - 02/06/04 06:49 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Chocolate is truly one of the pure joys of my life!!

Mine too... I feel so bad for you Kandee!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Cocoa/Carob mix? new
      #43461 - 02/06/04 07:51 AM
Karin

Hm, Kandee....ESP? Maybe that's why I was in the store YESTERDAY reading labels on cocoa. Then I came home to your post. You must have been sending out signals to me while I was in Trader Joe's.........lol. I plan to make some GF brownies too today as I need to take some goodies camping. I made some carob ones last week and they ended up in the trash . I'll let you know how the ½ ½ works for me today. Also I purchased some Quinoa and will make something with that too if I have time.

#43466 - 02/06/04 08:08 AM
Karin

Laura: I've found Carol Fenster's books to be very good for gf/dairy/egg free cooking. I only have her Special Diet Celebrations book right now, but I plan to get some of her others as this one was such a good book. PS I just checked the book and many of the recipes do use sugar but she does list sugar alternatives like substituting maple syrup, etc..

Edited by Karin (02/06/04 02:53 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13190

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review