All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What could trigger IBS after so long Help??!!
      #43029 - 02/04/04 10:48 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, all, I returned from my cruise, which was wonderful, had NO IBS problems, however I did try very hard to stick to my staples and my meals, I did however eat more than usual, but by lots of Hot Peppermint tea and my staples, I did very well, I have been following Heather's diet ever since I started this board and have had excellent success, however, last night I had one of the worst IBS attacks I have had since starting the diet. I wrote down everything I ate yesterday and the day before. How long after you may eat something that would trigger an attack, could it take? It was awful, chills, nausea, vomitting, labor pains, Lots of the D word. Today I have had Peppermint tea, rice chex and applesauce. Any words of wisdom, and when I have an episode like this, I may not go to the bathroom again for like 3-4 days, but I still take my fiber and stuff, is this normal? Should I increase my fiber after an attack....I'm so confused. Bahamas is lovely this time of year

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What could trigger IBS after so long Help??!! new
      #43031 - 02/04/04 10:56 AM

Unregistered

Sounds to me like you had a bit of the old Norwalk Virus. A.K.A, the stomach flu. That virus is going around this time of year and has been known to spread rapidly on cruise ships. Symptoms typically occur 24 to 48 hours after being infected. Keep drinking your clear fluids to prevent dehydration.

#43073 - 02/04/04 02:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sounds like a stomach bug to me too. SO not fair to get one when you're just back from a great vacation!

Yes, I too don't go to the bathroom for 3-4 days after a bad episode, but I've found it's very important to start the fiber supplement again just as soon as I can keep liquids down. I wouldn't increase it though, just take the normal amount.

Hope that helps. Anyone else have any thoughts?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#43090 - 02/04/04 03:44 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I know it's not the flu bug or a virus, it started just like my typical IBS attacks start, always the cramping in my descending colon left side and I always have pain so severe I throw up water and get chilled, I just can't figure out what may have triggered it.....I know when I have a virus or flu I don't have the agonizing colon spasm. I just wanted to see if I should keep my fiber regimen the same and just eat my staples for a day or so.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#43092 - 02/04/04 03:50 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Cheryl! Glad to hear you had a great trip!

I'd stick to Breaking the Cycle for a day or so, until you feel up to adding things back in.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

#43093 - 02/04/04 03:50 PM
LauraSue

Interesting...okay, not the flu. Well, when I get a severe attack of D, I do keep the fiber going and eat Heather's Breaking the Cycle foods until things settle down.

As far as what caused it, I have a personal theory that when we're on vacation or working on a deadline or anything exciting like that, the adreline somehow protects us from IBS and colds. Then as soon as we're back, or the deadline is met, WHAMMO! When I worked in public accounting, no one would get sick all busy season, but the minute it was over we'd all come down with colds and flu and stomach bugs or IBS!! Everybody noticed it and we used to talk about it every year without fail!! Just a thought! Maybe it wasn't anything you ate or did, just a delayed reaction to the excitement.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#43149 - 02/04/04 06:20 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

Im kind of going through that right now except mine is a delayed reaction to extreme stress to 6 months of hell. mother in law died, father had major surgery, hubby had major surgery, took the massage board exam, and now Im paying for it and still dealing with more stress of buying a house.

--------------------
Gretchen

#43232 - 02/05/04 08:23 AM
LauraSue

Oh, my goodness, what an awful string of stressful events! I'll send lots of healing white light your way.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#43262 - 02/05/04 09:36 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

As far as what caused it, I have a personal theory that when we're on vacation or working on a deadline or anything exciting like that, the adreline somehow protects us from IBS and colds. Then as soon as we're back, or the deadline is met, WHAMMO! When I worked in public accounting, no one would get sick all busy season, but the minute it was over we'd all come down with colds and flu and stomach bugs or IBS!! Everybody noticed it and we used to talk about it every year without fail!! Just a thought! Maybe it wasn't anything you ate or did, just a delayed reaction to the excitement.

Another good theory from LauraSue! You must be our resident thinker.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#43383 - 02/05/04 04:04 PM
LauraSue

LOL! Thanks, Kree, but it's mostly just from painful experience. A friend of mine says that wisdom doesn't alway come with age, sometimes age comes alone!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 254 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review