All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
iron deficency
      #4295 - 03/27/03 01:30 PM
marlene

Reged: 03/27/03
Loc: indiana, usa

Hi, I have followed the IBS diet for going on a year. I have cut out all red meat, very little dairy, just milk with my cereal, very low fat, very few raw fruits and vegetables. I feel like a new person, with one exception. I am anemic, from not getting enough iron. My doctor recommends that I take an iron supplement. I am leary of doing this, as iron is very constipating. I have not tried the vitamins yet, but have bought them. I am eating cereal with fortified iron, but if any one has any suggestions on how to get my blood count up, I would appreciate you letting me know. I have also completed 83 days, of 100 days of listening to the hynotherapy tapes that are recommended in Heather's book. I sent for them from England, and have enjoyed them alot. My anxiety is much better, and I am more comfortable eating out in public and am more relaxed about life in general. thanks for any suggestions you might have, also, Heather's book is wonderful.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: iron deficency new
      #5879 - 04/12/03 12:26 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Marlene,

I've been anemic in the past due to blood loss, and my doctor recommended eating beans & rice - it creates a whole protein and helps with the iron deficiency, if I remember correctly. You'd have to know whether beans (like pinto or kidney) are triggers for you - and it would be best to puree or thoroughly mash the beans, a la Heather's books. I didn't like the iron supplements either - and, by the way, did your doctor tell you which kind of iron supplement to take? If I remember, there's a difference in how well the iron is absorbed - I think I took a "slow-release" supplement. Also, some foods and vitamins, etc., can inhibit dietary iron absorption - the web has lots of information about this - just search for "iron-deficiency anemia and diet" on Google, for example. Hope this is a wee bit helpful!

Blessings,
Kaybee

Re: iron deficency new
      #5907 - 04/12/03 04:48 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Marlene - have you tried B-12 1,000 mcg, 1 per day? My husband was anemic because he was losing blood and this is what the doc told him to take.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review