All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone using Zelnorm?
      #42247 - 01/31/04 08:14 AM
Heathe5802

Reged: 01/28/04

I have been following the IBS Diet since the week before Thanksgiving. For the most part, I feel much better. But still have "iffy" weeks, even though I think I am eating well. I have done the research on Zelnorm, and have been torn about requesting to use it. I don't want to take IBS meds for the rest of my life...Thanks the IBS plan I have quit taking Paxil and Prevacid. The only drawback of that is that the peppermint tea tears me up. So Fennel and Catnip have become my drink of choice! But if the Zelnorm could teach my body to get the rest of the way on track, I would be blissfully happy! Any info would be fabulous!! I am sooo grateful for finding Heather's books and this board!
Thanks,

Heather W, Bremerton, WA

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone using Zelnorm? new
      #42250 - 01/31/04 08:18 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Heather W.
I'm a D so I don't know much about Zelnorm, but as far as taking IBS meds the rest of my life -- I think of it as my "insulin" and am more than happy to take ANYTHING the rest of my life if it keeps me healthy and happy. Just one person's opinion...take what you like and leave the rest!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#42288 - 01/31/04 10:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Check the previous threads on this. There's been TONS of discussion on it. Hit the search button at the top of this page and type it in. I hope you find some answsers there. Take care!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#42297 - 01/31/04 10:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Heather, I'm in almost exactly the same boat as you! I'm also doing a lot better since starting the diet, but have iffy weeks (and this is one of them! ). My doctor actually prescribed Zelnorm for me, but I haven't filled the prescription yet because I'm unsure about it. The fact that it's only approved for a few months at a time is a big turnoff for me, because what if it works really well and I feel great and then have to stop and feel crummy again?? I think that would almost be worse. Plus I've seen so many mixed reactions about it, which I'm sure you'll find if you search the site. Some people think it works wonders, but a lot said it did nothing, and some even got D from it. So instead I ordered Heather's acacia fiber and I'm trying that first. Like you, I may eventually fill this and give it a try, but I'm just not sure. If you do decide to try it please check back and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#42565 - 02/02/04 07:48 AM
Rozy

Reged: 01/28/04
Loc: Kansas

I've been on zelnorm for 6 days now and it works great! i go every day! It actually feels like the zelnorm lifts my mood too. This is because zelnorm acts like the serotonin in the gut, regulating the flow, and i think it acts like the serotonin in my head, lifting depression! I recommend it, or going on a colon cleanse, like "experience". I will be taking that when my Zelnorm script runs out.

#42572 - 02/02/04 08:31 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi, I have taken Zelnorm in the past. Last year about this time I tried it. I was SO excited! I had been on miralax and Levsin but the DR switched me to the Zelnorm. The first day or two I did have D but that went away. The first couple weeks were pretty good and I thought "finally, something that actually helps!" Well, after about a month, NOTHING! I stopped pooping and it seemed like the Zelnorm just stopped working! I ended up back on the Miralax! I still have some Zelnorm left over and find if I get a bad attack and get C, if I take it for a day or two it will help.

I think its worth a try, just remember that you probably will get some D in the first few days, most people do! I assume you have already added a fiber supplement and drink LOTS of water??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#42768 - 02/03/04 07:08 AM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

I was on Zelnorm for three months and it did not make any difference in my IBS-C. Heather's diet, Acacia, and her IBS eating instructions have been the only things that have relieved my pain and other symptoms. Within a few weeks of STRICTLY following her advice I have been able to stop all meds (anti-spasmodics). I still take Metamucil at night but feel I will be able to stop that as my body continues to heal and get back on track. Slowly I am increasing insoluable fiber and fats back into my diet until I reach the recommended percentages or my individual limit.
I was following IBS books that recommended lots of insoluble fiber plus other things contrary to what I eat and do now.

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1806 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1370

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review