All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How actual allergies might affect IBS
      #4068 - 03/25/03 01:49 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I am wondering about the effect hystamines have on the bowels. I have a very slight allergy to shellfish and eggs. I don't avoid them because they don't cause any noticable allergic reaction and my doctor said I am fine eating them (this was before my IBS diagnosis, though). I really don't want to eliminate these foods but if they are contributing to my IBS symptoms then I guess I will. It's just that I am extremely allergic to poultry, plus beans give me gas and cramps, so I'm already quite limited in my "meat" selections.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How actual allergies might affect IBS new
      #4097 - 03/25/03 07:56 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I hear ya! I can't eat any dairy--only fish (I'm about to try plain grilled chicken this week), no red meat, I pretty much eat potatoes, rice, pasta, french bread, yams, bananas, and oatmeal. It's hard--but I doubt it will stay this way forever! What other foods have you tried? Have you tried soy or rice products yet? There's also fake verions of crab and lobster (not sure about shrimp) that are made from other fish that might be easier for your tummy to digest. I've tried them before--they were great! (I can't find them where I live now though--so it's been a couple of years--I can't suggest any name brands since it's been so long--bu I bet someone else on the board can if you're interested). Good luck! Hope this helps--and feel good!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: How actual allergies might affect IBS new
      #4138 - 03/26/03 07:30 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

sek - The part of the beans that give you gas is the outer shell. Try fat free refried beans or put regular beans in a blender and smoosh them so the outer shell is ground into little pcs thereby making it easier to digest.

Like Ruchie said, have you tried any soy products? The soy "ground beef" is pretty good when mixed with other ingredients. Be sure all your veggies are cooked really well, especially asparagus, carrots, etc.

Have you tried any anti-histamines? I take it for allergies (grass, pollens, outside irritants).

Hope you feel better soon.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (03/26/03 07:32 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review