All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Booo on Constipation new
      #40083 - 01/23/04 11:39 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks for the info! The only side effects I have are the constipation and last week I was a little dizzy/weak with no appetite, but that went away. It's been over a week. I wonder if the side effects go away after the medication takes effect? If not, I will definetly have to stop them, cannot deal with C like this for all the time!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#40101 - 01/23/04 11:59 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I've been taking Effexor successfully for a number of years. Yes it does have a slight constipating effect. Since I have IBS-D, it was great for me! But how frustrating for you.

Yes, the side effects do lessen as the body gets used to it. I don't remember how long you said you'd been taking it, but for me the side effects (except for dry mouth) went away within 2-3 weeks, a month at the most. Too long not to poop, I agree! But perhaps the suppository will work for you. It's worth trying, because Effexor can be VERY helpful.

Someone mentioned the vivid dreams. I have that side effect too but not bad enough to matter, not nightmares just very vivid very real dreams. It's kinda fun!

But everyone's different, and so are antidepressents. If one doesn't work, my doctor just tries another. So by all means call your doctor and let him/her know.

(I love the way we can all share our common knowledge and experience here. Isn't the Internet great?!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#40103 - 01/23/04 12:06 PM
mickeymouse

Thanks for the info...I pray the C goes away! Unfortunately my Dr is hard to get an appointment with....they only book per month, so the appointment book came out this morning at 8am and I dropped by at 10am and he was already all booked up for February!! I guess I will have to see another Dr for the time being...

Thanks

#40172 - 01/23/04 05:02 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

That sucks, I have constipation as well. I've been taking 2 stool softeners and 2 pills of magnesium(oxide) everyday and it's been working well for awhile now...unfortunatly recently the affects are wearing off, guess my body is getting too used to them! So I dunno, I suggest just taking some Colace(I take the store brand) or get some magnesium pills(usually 500mg works), but keep in mind it may be a temporary fix. Unfortunatly I don't know what else could help, sorry!

--------------------
IBS-C

#40187 - 01/23/04 06:05 PM
prtyblueeyz

Reged: 12/19/03
Loc: USA Michigan

OK well for me there would be no way I would let that go that long, you poor thing. Drink Milk of magnesia, sorry if I spelled that wrong. Take 4 table spoons on an empty stomach, and I am telling you give it a couple hours and you will be ok. I went for 3 days and just knew it was time, I never let myself go long if I think that I am getting Constipated I drink it. But I highly suggest only taking it when u really need to, if you are not constipated and use it can cause cramping like the zelnorm does.

Jenn

#40192 - 01/23/04 06:09 PM
mickeymouse

I've never thought of that, thanks! Will have to try anything at this point, I simply hope it doesn't stay this way for too long, lengthy constipations are not cool!

#40297 - 01/23/04 08:27 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Be careful with the Milk of Magnesia! It's not as bad as the stimulant laxatives, but it can still irritate your digestive system! I used to be able to use it, but since getting IBS I've taken it and it gave me terrible D all the next day. I think it was Kandee who said it set her off for a couple of days too. I've heard suppositories are a lot safer!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#40299 - 01/23/04 08:29 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Probably the stool softener suppositories, right Kree?

#40308 - 01/23/04 10:26 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I am pretty sure that coffee can make you even more constipated. You may want to stop drinking it. I know it helps me
Feel better soon!

#40309 - 01/23/04 10:41 PM
Will

Reged: 01/25/03
Loc: Seattle, Wa

Hi Mickey Mouse,

I have overcome some bad constipation problems by getting a juicer and juicing Granny Smith apples. I really swear by this and believe it is just about impossible for anyone to be constipated and drinking this two or three times a day at the same time. There's a world of difference between fresh and bottled apple juice. Fresh juice won't cause the cramps, diarrhea, and spasms that bottled juice can (and usually does). I'm really not sure what makes the difference is here, but there definitely is a big one. What you want is just-juiced apples where the juice is bright green. You'll notice the juice starts to turn brown almost instantly – don't let it sit before you drink it. Once it oxidizes and browns that's when it will start causing the cramps and such.

Do not use store bought juice, it does not work and causes big problems. Don't use other apples; they are not even twenty percent as effective as the green.

If you haven't had a thorough GI workup, there is a new process just recently available called capsule endoscopy. You swallow a large capsule that has a camera inside and the docs can see nearly the whole GI tract. It is a very exciting break through and they are helping people that they could not help before.

The only other thing I could recommend are the Hypno CDs - they really have helped many many people who were ready to give up after trying everything else.

By the way, you need to drink this juice on an empty stomach (don't be afraid – it's NOT like drinking bottled juice at all) and at least two to three times a day.

I wish you luck,

Will – Heather's husband.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1975 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review