All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any French IBS Sufferers?
      #39222 - 01/20/04 03:11 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I know a few of you are living in France, but out of curiosity, I wonder if there are any actual French people out there with diagnosed IBS.

I only ask because I never get sick in France and I eat and drink everything they have.

sperry_twiggins

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any French IBS Sufferers? new
      #39375 - 01/21/04 08:09 AM
oceane

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Hi!

I am not French from France but Quebec French and I have travelled to France and Belgium on numerous occasions.
And, I have noticed the same thing, I feel great there! Even with all the cheese, and yummy food (even with the Belgian beer ).

My humble opinion is, their food is fresher, simpler, and have little or no preservatives (a lot of EU countries have rules against it). Not a scientific thing, just my thoughts since I have noticed it too. Lot less pollution (depending where you are from and where you are going in Europe) and less stress too.

I had to see a dr once as I got severe sinusitis (sp?) and when I told him I had Crohn's he so sooo interested! He was the first he had ever met and was so curious. Apparently, Crohn's and IBD is much rarer there, as well as allergies.
Always makes me wonder...

#39385 - 01/21/04 08:32 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi, I'm Belgian, living in Colorado. I've been here for a little over 4 years, have not been diagnosed with IBS, but do have a lot of the symptoms, so I'm following the dietary guidelines in the IBS diet.
Before I came here, I've always had C, but never ever cramping and gas, and bloating and all that good stuff that I have now. I went back on vacation at Christmas, and pretty much ate everything that came in sight :O and didn't have any of my regular symptoms.
I do believe (and I can only speak for Belgium) that over there, people use indeed more of the real ingredients, like I like to call them, real sugar, real fat, less preservatives. I mean, when I buy bread at an American store, it'll last days without any problems. Back home though, the second day, it starts getting harder, and if you let your bread sit there for a few days... hmm... let's just say it's no longer edible May have also something to do with humidity of course. But still.
I have also noticed that the same products, same brand, taste different here (US) vs there. It seems like here in the US, a LOT of food contains corn syrup (cheapest kind of sugar, right), and that changes the taste, plus seems to be a trigger for certain people as well.
In short, I can only speak for Belgium, and for people that I know, but I have never heard anyone complain about IBS back home. Or even bloating, cramps or anything. And trust me, we like our coffee, butter, milk, sweets... Is it balance, is it lesser use of preservatives, or something else? I don't know... This is just from my personal experience.
Have a great day! -nicky-

--------------------
nicky

Re: What to believe? new
      #39589 - 01/21/04 05:09 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I just spent five weeks in France. I ate croissants, beef, ice cream, eggs, pork, Chinese food, butter-based sauces, cakes, pastries, cheese, salads, chocolate, and washed it all down with gallons of wine, caffeine-filled drinks, and hard alcohol. I DID NOT EVER GET SICK. I did not even get gas. I was only bloated the one evening when I really ate and drank too much.

When I described my French diet to the G.E., he said, "You didn't get sick because you weren't under any stress in France." It sounds like a good theory, except that even here at home I have the least stressful life of anyone I know. In addition, I have gotten extremely sick on several occasions while on vacation in the U.S. I snarled at him and muttered under my breath that he should just admit that he had no idea what was wrong with me.

Nicky, I have also noticed that things taste different here. It is so hard for me to believe that food additives/content are not to blame for all this.

I wish I were a university. I'd commission a study.

sperry_twiggins

#39675 - 01/22/04 06:57 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I think it may be a combination of things. It may be a lack of additives. It may be lifestyle. They tend to eat more slowly - combine foods differently... I remember Heather saying to eat salads last and tell people you're French -- and that whole food combination diet plan was started (if I'm remembering right) from a visit with French friends who told her not to eat fruit with this or that because it would make her gassy and cause tummy troubles. It may be that they have just made a whole way around it totally by eating a whole new way for everyone. Maybe if we had all eaten that way all along - we wouldn't be sick with "irritable" tummies.

It's interesting to think about.

Re: What to believe? new
      #39702 - 01/22/04 08:28 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I personally believe how our food is grown, genetic modification, additives and pollution here may explain, in part, the phenomena of why IBS people feel better when in Europe. I believe the rules in Europe for food production are different than in North America and, perhaps, much stricter.

I know there are a number of British people on this website who have IBS. But I have noticed that when I am in England I can miraculously eat all sorts of things that I would never ever dream of eating here -- and I am fine! Included is (and I know a few people will gasp (and possibly faint!) at this): bacon, baked beans, grilled mushrooms and grilled tomatoes!

My only explanation is that there is something terribly wrong with our food supply here.

Belinda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3730 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review