All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Grandfather passed away....
      #3922 - 03/24/03 09:45 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My grandfather passed away yesterday. He was a kind man and had been sick for a few months. I wish I had known him better. He and my grandmother just recently moved closer to where we live and we were fortunate to spend some quality time with them the past few years.

I'm a little nervous about our trip to the funeral later this week. It is only three hours away (one way), but there is a big snow storm being forecast for later this week and I'm scared to travel in that kind of weather. Plus, my mom volunteered my husband and I to give my older brother a ride. Which is fine with us....until I talked with my brother last night and his attitude seemed kind of pissy.

The funeral hasn't yet been scheduled but it will possibly take place Thursday afternoon. Well, my brother asked if we would be driving back to go to work on Friday. I told him it all depended on what time the funeral took place and the weather because I don't want to just go to the funeral and turn right around and leave for home. We have family coming in that I want to visit with plus I want to spend time with my grandmother and such, too. He just kind of seemed "put out" that we wouldn't make the effort to make it back in time for work Friday. I said "don't you have vacation time?" he said rather rudly "I hope so!".

I don't get time off for a grandparent's death...only spouse, siblings, parents, or parents of a spouse. So, I'm sure my brother doesn't get time off for a grandparent's death either. I was really upset about his attitued at a time like this. He's almost 40 years old (five years older than me) and he doesn't have his life together yet. He is excited about his job one day and then ready to quit the next day. He always complains about not having enough money or not having a nice (dependable) vehicle, or a house, but yet he goes out and buys "toys"...i.e. computer, cell phone, computer games, stereo equipment, etc... He got mad at the cell phone company and cancelled his account with them. So now he doesn't even have a phone so that we can get a hold of him if we need to. He doesn't want just a "plain jane" in house inexpensive phone line....he thinks he has to have an expensive cell phone.

I told my husband that I feel like telling my brother if he wants to make it back by Friday he'll have to take his own vehicle. But, it is supposedly not "dependable". Well, if he is going to depend on us for a ride...he better be thankful for the ride and go by our schedule. You can't be picky when you are depending on someone else.

I hate to talk about my brother like this, but he needs to grow up and take some responsibility for once. He tends to get in these moods once in a while and I know he wasn't very fond of our grandfather because of some of the comments grandfather made towards my brother....and granted the comments would have been better left unsaid...but he was only speaking the truth.

Anyway...the whole situation kind of has my digestive system in turmoil. Thanks for letting me vent.

{{{hugs to you all}}}}}

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grandfather passed away.... new
      #3925 - 03/24/03 10:14 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You're right, your brother should be grateful for the ride and not complain about the schedule. The anxiety of the long car ride and the weather are enough without the stress of your brother. You take care of yourself.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#3926 - 03/24/03 10:20 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thank you!

#3936 - 03/24/03 12:00 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I am so sorry for your loss, and forget your brother - sometimes family can be more trouble than they're worth. The sad loss of your grandfather and your concern about the trip should be the most important things at the moment. I went through the same for my aunt's funeral a couple of weeks ago and I found that staying calm, snacking on ibs safe foods and knowing I didn't want to miss the funeral got me through it. I wish you all the best for the trip and will be thinking of you
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#3938 - 03/24/03 12:15 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

My deepest sympathies on your loss.

I understand when someone wants you to do everything and including cutting in on your personal plans just to accomodate themselves.

My sister (although she's twenty years younger than your brother - so we can blame hers on immaturity) is always like that. She wants rides out to my dad's and then wants to come home when she wants. I just told her take your own vehicle. Although it seemed rude at the time (and her vehicle wasn't very dependable either, but she worked and could have bought a better vehicle) she now asks me when we are planning to go there and come back. If it doesn't fit her schedule she just drives herself - no questions, complains or problems.

Just remember - your brother is old enough to have a reliable vehicle and have everything he requires to take care of himself. It he doesn't have those things - that is his choice and should not burden you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...you keep your schedule the way you want it and don't give a second thought.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#3939 - 03/24/03 12:29 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

nugget,
im so sorry for your loss. My Grandfather dies in 1999 from a heart attack I miss him, but feel him in spirit. He had Ibs too

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Sad, my thoughts are with you.. new
      #3961 - 03/24/03 01:46 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

So sorry to hear, take plenty of safe snacks with you to keep your tummy calm.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#3962 - 03/24/03 02:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm so sorry! *hugs* We'll be thinking about you Thursday! I'm sorry your brother is acting the way he is--but don't let it ruin anything--even for a second. It's not worth it! I'm sure you love your brother and that you know better than anyone where he's coming from--and you sounds like a very caring sister! Hopefully someday he'll share your life values--for now though, I agree with the board! Be a responsible example to him by not letting him crowd your schedule. I give you a LOT of credit taking off work to go to the funeral and spend time with your family--what a wonderful thing to do--especially since you'll be using vacation days. You're a very special person to love your family so much! Keep that in mind Hope your IBS stays under control--remember, you deserve it! All the best--and again, I'm sorry for your loss--he must have been a wonderful man!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3969 - 03/24/03 02:45 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Nugget - so sorry to hear about your granddad! You were very lucky that you were able to grow up with one around. Both my grandfathers died when I was just a little kid, so I never got to know them. I only had one grandmother and she died when I was 4. Be very grateful for the time you had with him.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review