Post deleted by rick401

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: food allergy test new
      #38758 - 01/19/04 05:16 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Chris
Re Coeliac disease - I've copied this paragraph from Coeliac.co.uk website - says you must have been eating gluten for 6 weeks for an accurate test. Not sure why your GP didn't agree?!

How is the condition diagnosed?

Testing for CD is usually instigated at GP level by having blood tests to confirm the presence of antibodies. There are 3 tests currently available, a blood test for endomysial antibodies (EmA), another testing IgA gliadin antibodies (AGA) and a newer test for antibodies to tissue transglutimase (tTg). The blood tests are not 100% accurate therefore confirmation of diagnosis is usually determined with a biopsy. The biopsy involves a small snip of tissue being taken from the lining of the small bowel using an endoscope. The biopsy is carried out on an outpatient basis by a gastroenterologist. Coeliac UK recommends that a normal gluten containing diet needs to followed for six weeks prior to blood testing or biopsy to ensure an accurate result is obtained.

If you want to check out the site yourself, the link is:
http://www.coeliac.co.uk/index_flash.html

Personally (I'm no medic or expert, but given your very limited bland diet for such a long time, I wouldn't have thought you had coeliac, as NORMALLY (although not always) patients recover fairly quickly on a gluten free diet. Of course, you may be the exception and you want it ruling out conclusively, so I'd still get tested.

I think classical allergy tests are different in that they are based on an immune response rather than the body's response to the physical damage that coeliac causes. I have heard that people have been tested and found to be allergic to substances they have rarely ever come into contact with. I don't think you need to worry so much with the standard allergy tests, but I'm not as sure on this one. Do a web search on allergy tests for more info, but you are looking for IgE allergy tests and not any other type.

Hope this is helpful
Shells

#38797 - 01/19/04 09:14 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, Chris, but good luck with the test! I hope it gives you some good info!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#39173 - 01/20/04 12:37 PM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

For allergy testing, the only requirement is that you don't take antihistamines for 24 hours prior - at least that's what they told me. Found out I'm allergic to - among other things - oatmeal, which I had for breakfast the same morning!

Good luck with your testing - let us know how it goes.

--------------------
++++++

#39642 - 01/21/04 07:42 PM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

Hi Chris - I had food allergy testing done a couple months ago and all they did was take blood (alot of it I might add ). Discovered that I am allergic to yeast, malt, fungus, and vinegar. After I stopped eating those, I felt alot better. But its hard at first to quit eating the things that you love - I can't eat bread or anything with vinegar, which is every condiment known to man. But its all worth it when you start feeling better. My food allergies started at the same time as my IBS, don't know if its related or not. Good luck with the testing, hope that whatever they find helps you out.

Shari

#39852 - 01/22/04 04:38 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Chris,
I'm having lactose and fructose testing done as well I think as a celiac blood test. I'm waiting to hear what they want me to do prior to the testing. I know it has something to do with blowing in a bag every 15 minutes for 3 hours. I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review