All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need some advice
      #37724 - 01/15/04 01:41 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I've been quiet lately been going through some sorta rough times. I haven't had a flare up since September after I ate some Carrot cake. I've been eating according to Heather's diet but lost more weight. I have pretty normal bowel/m lately. I guess I'm having trouble trying new foods and the foods I'm eating are not letting me gain any weight. Today the Dr. decided they want me to try a lose dose of paxil and see my Gi Dr. again to help me with some tummy problems.
I'm very skeptical of Paxil, I don't feel I have anxiety nor depression. Finally my Dr. says you are having IBS..which I already new that. She says the paxil will help with seritonin to the tummy brain and calm down the anxiey of trying foods. In return it may help with the gassy tummy or bloating??? I don't get bloating and rarely gas. I have some trouble with b/m which I feel are normal. I don't go everyday. I do recall the article on seritonin and the gut brain. So in a way I new what she was talking about. I ask her about a fiber supplement and she said try paxil first and see how you do. I'm worried of a side affect DDDD.
Does anyone use paxil??and if soo are you d proned and to you have a problem with it? I know we are all different, but right now I'm confused I thought I was doing better than ever, it's just the darn wieght issue. I ask her about probiotics and there was no reply. I have been considering this option over the paxil. All test are coming back clear from thryoid to hepatitis and now she is doing a sed panel. Oh another thing I ask several times about lactose intolerance and was told normal, but today a test was done and showed lactose intolerant. Go figure.
I'm going to continue using Heather's diet and all of your recipes. I'm trying rice milk today.. I find that soy milk is gassing me up, even though I can do the yogurt. Hey thanks for listening, you're all the best!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some advice new
      #37767 - 01/15/04 03:54 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

I'm not depressed either but take an antidepressant for IBS. Has something to do with blocking GI pain. I'm not sure about the Paxil, my GI said that the SSRIs are currently the best. If your Dr is looking to treat anxiety, I'm not sure Paxil is the best option as I am not aware that it helps with anxiety.

#37781 - 01/15/04 05:25 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I have spoken with a couple people who took paxil and said that it has the worst side effects out of the SSRI's...I just started taking effexor today (which is only supposed to have minimal side effects by comparison)...maybe someone on the board who has taken this drug can give you more info on it?

#37806 - 01/15/04 06:33 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Paxil actually works very well for anxiety (my sister is a pharmacist and I ama med tech/pharmacy tech.) It does however have alot of side effects (diarhhea is one but it wears off after your body adjusts.) and the added draw back of strong withdrawl symptoms should you need to go off. Other SSRI's have less side effects and withdrawl. Coincidentally my MD has also given me samples of Effexor. It seems to have fewer GI side effects..but can raise your blood pressure slightly. I am waiting to talk to my GI Dr on Friday before I decide to take it. I wish I could find more informtion specifically about SSRI's and GI problems...I will let you know if I find anything. Please all let us know of you take anything and if it helps or not....

#37842 - 01/15/04 10:14 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I don't take any.....but hear effexor is the absolute best and without the side affects of paxil. In fact paxil is now "out" and effexor is "in" so your doc must be on top of things............However, from what I understand Paxil makes one put weight on so that may be why Sherr1 was put on it...

Kandee

--------------------

#37847 - 01/15/04 10:26 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I was on a low dose of amitryptiline, some anti-depressant (I had the generic kind) for my IBS for a long time and I thought it was great. I did gain weight, but it really helped with the nausea. The first two days I took it I was very spacy and felt like I was floating slightly to the left of my body, but after that I didn't really have any side effects.

#37909 - 01/16/04 08:43 AM
sherr1

Your absolutely right she put me on it to help gain weight.
I don't want to take anything, effexor has some side effects but, d is not one, but on the other hand anorexia is and thats probably why, I don't have these tendencies and never have. I have the prescription, but haven't filled it yet. Maybe I should she my GI doc first. Tell him about my upsets with certain foods and my bowel behavior since my getting over that terrible diahhrea strain, which they don't know what kind it was. He might not think a ssri is suitable. So many decisions to make.

#37910 - 01/16/04 08:44 AM
sherr1

Quote:

I was on a low dose of amitryptiline, some anti-depressant (I had the generic kind) for my IBS for a long time and I thought it was great. I did gain weight, but it really helped with the nausea. The first two days I took it I was very spacy and felt like I was floating slightly to the left of my body, but after that I didn't really have any side effects.

Hey thanks for the advice on this one. Are you on a low dose?

#37915 - 01/16/04 08:50 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Right now I'm not taking it at all... it's supposed to supress the false signals that your gut's brain sends out that says you're in pain. My new GI is trying to determine if those signals are false or not. I was taking 50 mg.

#37919 - 01/16/04 09:03 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I was on Zoloft for a couple years (have been off of it for a couple years) for depression/anxiety. It really did help with the IBS-D, too. I read about Seretonin on the internet and found that brisk walking or and exercise also helps release seretonin naturally. So I started walking regularly and it really helped. I didn't want to take the Zoloft for the rest of my life and I was eventually able to get off it with therapy. Now I try to regulate things with exercise and diet. Although, with the cold weather it's hard to get out and walk. I was initially put on Paxil, but it didn't agree with me.....made me even more anxious, etc. So they put me on a very low dose of Zoloft. You may want to check into it. It may be a way to get things on an even keel and allow you to work things out so that you can eventually get off of it like I did. Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3523

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review