All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help with supplements & Zelnorm
      #37350 - 01/14/04 08:22 AM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

I have used Metamucil for months at doctor's advice. I have suffered severe bloating and gas, which stopped once I started on Acacia two days ago. The Metamucil worked great for my C. Once on the Acacia I have barely gone at all even with taking 3-4 tablespoons a day. I don't feel this is too much because there was no pain, bloating, or gas. I finally took my usual bedtime dose last night of Metamucil which worked for the C but today I have pain. Citracel and Fibercon have not worked that well for me either.
Will the Acacia finally kick in or should I up the dosage?
Another thought, I had totally forgotten my last three doses (Monday night to this morning) of Zelnorm until this morning. I felt better than I have in a long time all day yesterday ( I was on the Acacia also remember). I felt fine this morning until about 45 minutes to an hour of taking a dose. Because this medication works to coordinate the muscles, moisture level, and nerves in the colon I am wondering if this could be part of the problem with the pain I currently have. Anyone else experience this on Zelnorm?

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with supplements & Zelnorm new
      #37352 - 01/14/04 08:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

There have been lots of posts on Zelnorm, do a search with no time limits. I personally found that it stopped working for me after about 6 weeks. I still had some left over and got constipated a couple months ago and took a Zelnorm and had horrible D with a nasty headache. I don't think a lot of people have had much luck on Zelnorm.

I have taken miralax and fibercon for 3 years. About 6 weeks ago I switched to the acacia and I have actually been able to reduce my miralax to half a day every other day and haven't had any C! I take a heaping regular silverwear spoon in the morning and night. Are you drinking enough water and getting exercise?? Also be sure you are getting enough insoluble fiber in your diet. Some people eliminate too much of it from there diet, if you have questions on that please post!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Help with supplements & Zelnorm new
      #37383 - 01/14/04 10:10 AM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

I am drinking lots of water and drink several cups of tea while here at work. I am suspecting the Zelnorm. I don't think it has ever done much for me since starting it two months ago. Now that I know more on how to eat I think I'll go off of it, just take the anti-spasmotic and see how I feel. It just makes me wonder if diet and soluble fiber supplements can make my colon behave then couldn't the Zelnorm cause problems to a working colon?
I think my headache today is also from the Zelnorm. The headaches had stopped but after missing three doses then taking one I think it caused the headache.

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4053 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review