All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Strange bowel movements
      #370010 - 08/18/13 08:30 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello All,

I have IBS-C. I had not had a bowel movement since Tuesday, 8/6. Today I had some.

I will point out that I had a LOT of gas the last few days preceding my BMs.

The first one was relatively normal and I was grateful after finally getting those nasty oral CT scan contrasts out of my system.

Then I had a large, very loose bowel movement. I had more cramps and then passed small, thin stools in yet a third BM this morning. I hope I am NOT grossing anyone out on this site!

Now I am racking my brain trying to figure out WHY this has happened.

I take Lactaid with all dairy products and also the Equate gas prevention capsules.

I recently bought a salad dressing with chipotle seasoning in it.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you SO much!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strange bowel movements new
      #370011 - 08/19/13 10:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you listed the foods and snacks you have eaten for the past 3-4 days. It might give us some clues. BTW - some people have problem with dairy even if it is lactose free.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370039 - 08/22/13 05:07 PM
Candy07

Hi Syl,

I have made an appointment to see my family doctor tomorrow, Friday, 8/23, regarding my recent bowel issues!

These started after I drank two different oral contrasts for a CT scan I took the end of last month for my cancer.

Here is what I have eaten the last 3 to 4 days:

Today, 8/22/13 - Breakfast - Pillsbury Strawberry Toaster Strudel with white glaze. Hot tea. A probiotic capsule I bought from my acupuncturist and a Claritin for allergies.

Lunch - A fried chicken breast and I ate the breading. Also some Chipotle salad dressing to get it down. (I have a dry mouth from radiation treatments for cancer). Water to drink.

Dinner - Turkey sandwich on soft brat bun with mayo and chipotle salad dressing. Water.

Right after supper, I had unexpected diarrhea. I haven't had this in months, just sometimes very loose stools. I just made it to the bathroom too. I am SOOOOO MAD about this!!

Wednesday - 8/21 - Breakfast - 3 fried potato pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 small pieces of bacon, one very small piece of breakfast sausage, one half a cup of coffee with sugar and creamer. Chipotle salad dressing, probiotic capsule, Equate gas prevention capsule.

Lunch - Lean Cuisine frozen dinner - Chicken carbonara with chicken, noodles and asparagus in cream sauce. Water, gas capsule and chewable Lactaid.

Dinner - Stouffer's meatloaf and mashed potatoes dinner, with butter on potatoes and Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce on meat. Water to drink. Gas capsule and chewable Lactaid.

Tuesday - 8/20 - Breakfast - 2 servings of cold cereal (Corn Pops and Apple Jacks) with warmed Lactaid milk. Still took Chewable Lactaid. Hot Earl Grey tea with sugar.

Lunch - 8/20 - Campbell's chicken soup with garlic bread stick and butter. Water. Gas capsule and Lactaid.

Supper - 8/20 - Hormel chili with no beans and rice(my husband added some chili powder and garlic salt), a few oyster crackers, 2 gas capsules, water.

Snack - 8/20 - A few Doritos chips and water.

Any help any of you can give me on my food intake the last few days would be MOST appreciated!!

I just HATE having diarrhea, and I am sure a LOT of you can relate to THAT!!

Thanks a LOT everybody!!

Candy

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370074 - 08/28/13 01:28 PM
Godandme

Reged: 02/15/09
Loc: Orange County, California

Hi Candy -
*I know that I can't eat that Pillsbury stuff because it's processed so usually has alot of fillers in it. The white icing is dairy filled so can't eat that either.
*IBS doesn't handle anything fried so bake or grill with Pam spray your chicken breast maybe with some rice. Small salad is ok but the chipolte dressing might be too spicy so that's a no-no. Try using a vinegarette.
*I'm not sure what a brat bun is but you need to use like a sourdough bread. Again no chipolte dressing. Limit your mayo, use mustard or oil/vinegar. Carefull of dressings...they tend to use high fructose corn syrup in them.
* For b'fast, can't eat fried food, use oil sparingly. Use egg whites, instead of whole eggs because the yolk is real high fat. Cook with Pam instead of butter. NO bacon, no sausage, no coffee (no caffeine). Drink a camomile spearmint, or peppermint tea. Idea - Cook 2 egg whites, place on sourdough toast with smart balance butter spread, eat a banana, and have some nice caffeine free tea. Very relaxing!
* no boxed food like Lean Cuisine or Stouffers. You can cook your own chicken (George Forman, or lightly grilled, or bake a few and keep them in refrigerator for future use), for noodles use spaghetti or rice, you can lightly use spaghetti sauce, and boil the vegies before eating them. Don't add cream sauce. Caution: I use to use Lactaid, still had problems, later found out that I was also allergic to whey and caseine proteins which are in Lactaid.
*Mashed potatoes are hard on our tummies because of the use of butter and milk. Add a little EVOO in a pan, cut potato into thin slices and grill slices in oil for awhile. Add seasonings....Heather has a great recipe cook book you should get with all the cooking rules in there. It's heavily used in my house.
* Corn Pops, Rice Chex or Honey Combs cereal are good. For milk, use Rice or Almond Milk. Still tastes great.
*Traditional Campbell's soups tend to have high fructose corn syrup in them. I have better experience with I think it's called Healthy Start soups or Amy's brand soups. Just read labels. Garlic bread uses butter!!! Maybe try to make your own with Smart Balance butter spread (you have to read these labels too) and just garlic on a roll.
*No doritos or chili - eat Lay's baked chips maybe?

I know it's very frustrating but Heather's books help so much! I still have my bad days but nothing like I used to have for years and years. It's much more controlled, but it's still a learning process. Good luck!

#370075 - 08/28/13 02:40 PM
Candy07

Thanks a lot, Godandme!!

--------------------

#370076 - 08/28/13 02:43 PM
Candy07

Hi God,

I just bought Rice Dream today to eat with my cereal and the Corn Pops got soggy AWFULLY fast!! Plus it didn't taste that good!

HooBoy!! I can tell I am going to have a TOUGH time with this eating for IBS! If it weren't for the side effects I would just keep eating what I WANT!!

--------------------

#370078 - 08/29/13 04:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Candy07

I am not sure what to say about the foods you have been eating. I know if I ate the meals you ate I would be in trouble.

You eat many trigger foods for example, bacon (red meat is not recommend on Heather's diet), mayo chipotle salad dressing, creamer, sausage and butter are high fat foods known to make IBS worse.

AS I recall you are eating a low FODMAP diet. However, in addition to removing high FODMAP foods it is a good idea to remove all other well known IBS triggers such as coffee (caffeine is a trigger) and high fat foods. Perhaps you might be some more insight if you read up on Heather's Heather's common trigger foods. Also, some of the foods you list contain FODMAPs for example Doritos chips contain onion & garlic powder, cheese (lactose). I am not sure what is contained in the BBQ sauce but I suspect honey and perhaps high fructose corn syrup along with garlic and onion.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370080 - 08/29/13 06:06 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

It all sounds very bad, the diet.. but you can use different substitutes. For example if you use something with cream, try to use soy or rice cream.
Also for the cheeses, try soy cheese. Perhaps if you would love some garlic bread, you could make it with French bread and a soy-based garlic butter.

I also did find it hard in the beginning, but you have to think about ways to make that change that is good for you.

I still have eggyolks for example, but not much. I can handle it. But I cannot handle cheese.. Now I have soy-creamcheese. I like that one.

Bacon is a big no, but if you try turkeybacon, same with sausages That is less fat. Perhaps you can try fatfree mayo instead of normal mayo. Or try to make your own so you can change it for the best of your health.

Go for a small walk after diner, that also helps me sometimes. Good luck!

Saskia

#370084 - 08/29/13 11:26 AM
Candy07

Thanks for the tips, Sassie!

What brand of soy cream cheese do you use? I bought Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream and tried it for the first time yesterday. Not bad!

I also bought Rice Dream Vanilla flavor yesterday and that was TERRIBLE! It really made my cereal so soggy so fast. I think I will just use water in the future, or maybe apple juice.

Turkey bacon is a good idea. I also found some substitute coffees online yesterday.

I guess I'll adapt, I have NO choice, BUT I am still irritated that this has happened to me and all of us on this site!!

--------------------

#370087 - 08/29/13 11:55 AM
Sassie

I guess I also have toffuti. But I have to take a look for it later on.

I quit having coffee, and the first 3 days are very hard, but now I am fine. I don't drink coffee anymore for over 5weeks now. I drink much herbal teas instead.

I don't eat cereal n the morning, but white/french bread or bagels with soycheese or a little peanut butter and for example a banana.

I eat a lot of fish, chicken or turkey instead of red meat. It really helps. But I also love all other meat.. when I have nothing to do in a weekend, I'll eat a little meat or cheese.. don't tell anyone. I can feel the difference after a few weeks. I am carefull with what I eat but now and then I'll cheat for meat...

Do you have the mp3 or cd for the hypnotherapy? It helps me a lot to relax and perhaps it works for you too. You can find info on the site.

For the rice and soy milk, I didn't try the vanilla yet. I hope you'll find your way soon. It's no fun at all to have Ibs and people often don't understand it, but if you start to understand it, you will learn to find your way.

Good luck.

#370089 - 08/29/13 12:06 PM
Sassie

Ow, and do you have the eating for ibs book? It gives much ideas about how and what to eat. There is also a link to all kinda recipes on this forum. I love the corn/crab soup. It doesn't give you the feeling you are on a diet. I also buy now and then the alpro chocolate dessert. Also very nice if you really want something with chocolate.

#370092 - 08/29/13 01:28 PM
Candy07

Yes, I do have the Eating For IBS book! I also have Heather's other book, "The First Year of IBS - Everything You Need To Do".

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6257

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review