All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
newbie needs help please!
      #369639 - 06/23/13 11:54 AM
sarylynn

Reged: 06/23/13

Hi all. I am a 36 year old who has suffered from IBS-D (though it has started to alternate between constipation & diarrhea recently) my whole life, with the expected ups and downs. Unfortunately, it has flared a lot this year and I wound up at home while my family went on vacation. There was no way that I could handle a 9 hour road trip!!!!!
My doc recommended the FODMAP diet, but I found that there was a lot of conflicting info. I looked for something else and found Heather's book. I am trying to implement this diet, but had a few questions.
I have noticed that I have had really bad gas--can increasing my soluble fiber intake with rice, pasta, etc. be causing that?
Also, the book EFI mentions slowly introducing the whole grains b/c of the soluble fiber, but it seems like most of the breakfast cereals are now listing whole grain as the first ingredient!
Are cereals like Chex still safe foods? Is Italian bread okay instead of the French and sourdough?

My doctor suggested taking Pepcid to deal with the acid (I think I'm also getting more heartburn), as well as Celexa to help with the IBS. Has anyone tried the celexa? She also suggested Citrucel and Align, though I might try the culturelle instead.

I just feel like this is getting ridiculous. Thanks for any info and letting me rant.

Edited by sarylynn (06/23/13 03:49 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: newbie needs help please! new
      #369640 - 06/23/13 04:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Many of us follow Heather's Eating for IBS diet in conjunction with the FODMAP diet with reasonably success. For reliable information on the FODMAP diet check the first three links in my signature. It has been clinically tested in a number of countries showing a 70-80% improvement in symptoms. In the UK the Kings College London is putting on course to train dietitians in its use. One of the primary objectives of the FODMAP diet is to reduce gas.

If you read more about the FODMAP diet you will see that one of the problematic food categories contains things made from wheat, rye and other foods that are high in fructans. Fructans are soluble fiber that can be rapidly fermented in the colon to produce gas. So yes - wheat based cereals can be a problem for some people. White rice - not brown rice - cereals are safe. Brown rice cereals are safe for some people and not for others.

Any bread the contains white flour, salt, yeast, a non-hydrogenated oil like olive oil should be safe. Check the label for other ingredients.

Something to consider. Cereals such oatmeal while technically whole grain are different than whole wheat cereals. When oatmeal is cooked it produces a functional fiber that acts like a soluble fiber. So while the package may say the product contains 2 grams soluble and 2 grams insoluble fiber it does not give the amount of functional fiber. Hence unlike may other whole grain cereals which contain much more insoluble than soluble fiber oatmeal contains more functional and soluble fiber than insoluble fiber. It is safer.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369642 - 06/25/13 07:20 PM
sarylynn

Reged: 06/23/13

Thanks Syl for the reply. I appreciate the links.

I am still trying to figure all this out, and with two little ones, it is hard to find the time. I thought that the rice and pasta were safe, so I'm a little confused that just regular pasta (not whole grain or anything special) could be causing the gas. I'm also wondering if part of it is just my gut needing time to adjust to the changes.

Breakfast is one of the hardest times for me. I normally eat a bagel or so, since cereal with regular milk doesn't settle well. Lately, I have been eating oatmeal (which I hate) and that seems to work. Today, I tried rice krispies with rice milk and I think that settled okay.

So, I'm trying to figure out what cereals are okay--Cheerios, what about Life cereal? I know that corn can be a trigger for some, so I'm not sure about Kix either. I realize that each person has different triggers, but any help or links would be great, even for snacks as well. Thanks!

#369643 - 06/26/13 04:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

According to Heather's diet pasta and other wheat containing foods are fine. According to the FODMAP diet many people have difficulty with wheat products because are they contain fructans which are indigestible and pass through to the colon where they are quickly fermented into gases.

Frequently bagels and some cereals contain high fructose corn syrup. Foods that contain more of the sugar fructose than glucose - another FODMAP group - such as high fructose corn syrup can cause gas, bloating and D. You have to read the label on every food item to make sure they don't contain un wanted ingredients.

Kix ingredients:

Corn Meal, Oat(s) Whole Grain (, Oat(s) Bran ), Sugar, Corn Bran, Corn Starch Modified, Corn Syrup, Salt, Trisodium Phosphate, Vitamin E (Tocopherols Mixed (Vitamin E) To Preserve Freshness) , Vitamins And Minerals :, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Zinc, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C) (Vitamin C) , Niacinamide (Vitamin aB), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (HCL) (Vitamin B6) , Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) (Vitamin B2) , Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1) (Vitamin B1) , Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid (Vitamin aB), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3

Bran is from whole grains and it is nearly 100% insoluble fiber and not safe. Check the ingredients of rice krispies some brands contain high fructose corn syrup.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2004 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review