Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stuck
      #368877 - 12/30/12 03:13 PM
ccdukes

Reged: 09/11/11
Loc: Juneau, AK

Hello,

I've read the message boards for many years, but this is my first post.

I'm stuck in terms of my ability to eat foods and be stable. I've had IBS-D for 15 years (at least), in the past 2 years I've finally been able to make major changes to my eating habits. I stopped eating everything that is on the red section of the Eating for IBS Cheat Sheet. I followed the steps to restart the diet after an attack, I take my acacia fiber, peppermint pills, and drink lots of peppermint or fennel tea. I've also been working with a local nutritionist, but like I said I'm stuck. I wouldn't say that I have ever reached stability. Every once in a while I feel great, and joke that I was a "normal" person that day, but most days I go through at least 3 episodes of diarrhea & cramping, usually in the morning and experience a large volume of gas throughout the day.

This is my short list of foods that I am eating & getting by on, but definitely not stable:
white bread for toast or w/ meal
potatoes
flour tortillas
pasta
white rice
organic tortilla chips
banana mango smoothie w/ rice milk
dried bananas (homemade, nothing but banana)
avocado
sautéed crimini mushrooms (becoming problematic)
pumpkin/butternut squash for baking or pasta sauce
peeled apples in baked goods w/ pumpkin
grilled chicken
natural deli turkey
scrambled egg whites

So, you might wonder why I decided to post after so many years. I'm tired of just getting by. I know life can be much better and I feel like I have finally given my best effort and it has helped me be a little better, but not great. I would also like to be able to start a family, but don't feel that those 15 things I can eat offer me healthy nutrition let along a growing baby. I'm not worried about the IBS issues that may come up in pregnancy, those are temporary and I already know that my hormones make things go crazy. I'm worried about being able to grow a healthy baby and then raise a child without having to lock them in the bathroom with me and keep working.

Recently a friend suggested that I may not have the proper digestive acids & enzymes throughout my whole system and that I should consider working with someone to rebuild/balance them one portion at a time. I'm not totally sure how to figure that out or who to ask for help with it. This struck me as a possibility since other things don't seem to be working and the way I am eating currently is the best I've done my whole life. I did not experience healthy eating habits as a child.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this over and offer your opinions.

Here is my "score card"
IBS – D, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, acid reflux, fibromyalgia, ovarian cysts

Completed IBS Hypnosis 100 (twice, great stuff), attempting the IBS diet, use peppermint capsules, acacia fiber & peppermint/fennel teas daily, take alprazolam to manage anxiety from IBS, meds for cholesterol, acid reflux, thyroid & birth control. Also prenatal vitamins to support lack of nutrition from food.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stuck new
      #368884 - 12/31/12 01:09 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There have been some recent clinically advances in managing functional bowel disorders such as IBS using dietary approaches. The first three links in my signature will give you background and detailed information. The new approach has been clinically tested in a number of countries on large numbers of IBS suffers with reports of 60-80% alleviation of symptoms.

It is quite possible that a few of foods you listed are giving you problems. The new clinically tested approach can be integrated into Heather's Eating For IBS diet without too much difficulty. I and others on the board have been using it with Heather's diet with considerable success.

Generally speaking your body produces plenty of digestive enzymes and you rarely need to supplement with digestive enzymes unless you have a medical disorder. Also, some digestive enzymes found in supplements cannot pass through the strong acid in the stomach to the intestine to do their work. If you decide to try digestive enzymes make sure you check the label for unfriendly ingredients.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review