All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Desperate for Help..PLEASE!!
      #368813 - 12/18/12 05:54 PM
Steven78

Reged: 12/18/12

a few yrs ago i took rifaximin to treat bacterial overgrowth, i supplemented during & after with intensive probiotics and had very good results for a while after. my stools and bowel function normalized. so i tried a 2nd course a little over a month ago and unfortunately i didnt have the same results. ever since i have been experiencing severe bloating and gas and i cant get rid of it. im spending a week with my girlfriend in Paris starting this sunday and i really dont wanna be gassy & bloated the whole time. anyone know what i can do? ive been taking some herbal antimicrobials but they only work for a while and as soon as i stop the bloating returns. Also probiotics dont seem to be doing the trick. Also on my last night of the 2nd course of antibiotics i drank WAY too much alcohol and was sick the next day so not sure if that messed me up; not the best judgement on my part but it was a wild fun party would appreciate any help on this since it is time sensitive - thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Desperate for Help..PLEASE!! new
      #368814 - 12/19/12 03:13 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Gas most often suggests FODMAP problems. See the link in my signature for further information.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Re: Desperate for Help..PLEASE!! new
      #368815 - 12/19/12 03:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Your experience with Rifaximin is not unusual.

Have you modified your diet like it is suggested by Heather Eating for IBS diet or the FODMAP diet discussed in the first three links in my signature. The two approaches can be integrated nicely. You might also ask your GI doctor for a referral to a dietitian who is familiar with the FODMAP approach as it has been widely clinically tested on individuals with functional bowel disorders such as IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review