All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lightheaded since I've started
      #368616 - 11/20/12 11:59 AM
veryami

Reged: 11/16/12

I've been doing pretty well following Heather's diet, eating every few hours. For the last few days, I've felt very lightheaded which is solved by eating. I've never had this when I've been hungry before. Has anyone experienced this, or have an explanation?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lightheaded since I've started new
      #368617 - 11/20/12 12:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you been checked for diabetes?

Are you eating enough to maintain your weight (i.e. are you eating in the range of 2000-2200 kcal per day)?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368618 - 11/20/12 12:37 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

You have probably eliminated too many foods out of fear. Please try to eat more. Don't be afraid to eat more.

#368619 - 11/20/12 01:03 PM
veryami

I was checked earlier this year for diabetes and that has been ruled out. I think I'm eating enough calories, but it's probably too many carbs. I'm eating a lot of saltines and pretzels because I know they are safe.

#368620 - 11/20/12 01:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could post the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It might give us some clues

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368621 - 11/20/12 02:22 PM
veryami

my typical day has been somethng like this:

breakfast: pbj sandwich
snack: banana + apple
snack: pretzels/saltines/avocado
lunch: canned chicken and half cup of rice
snack: more pretzels/saltines
dinner: white rice and morning star chicken patties

any help would be great! thanks.

#368622 - 11/20/12 02:48 PM
Cyndy

the first thing I noticed is that you have no veggies...at all. And very few fruits! You have no calcium from dairy substitutes like almond,rice,soy cheese or yogurt or beverages.

When I am tired, it's usually because I need to incease my protein amount.

Are you drinking enough liquid? Your dinner is small and you don't have an evening snack. Maybe take one of your morning snacks and put it at night. You can vary your snacks from pretzels/saltines to something like one of Heathers fruit or veggie breads (pumpkin, zuchinni, banana) or a nondairy yogurt. Or add some hummus to your pretzels and some nondairy cheese to your saltines to get more protein in.

Your diet is very EFI safe, but not very nutritious with enough vitamins and iron. You could add some spinach to your dinner for some iron. Where are the vegetable? Oh, how I love veggies! Quinoa is a grain that yu could use instead of rice that is a whole protien, actually.

#368623 - 11/20/12 02:59 PM
veryami

Any other vegetable recommendations beside spinach? I was thinking of sweet potatoes and steamed carrots.

#368624 - 11/20/12 03:45 PM
Cyndy

Sure, but they are great. I was just thinking fo some veggies that might give you some iron for energy. You can look at this chart for high iron veggies. Pumpkin would be good for you! high iron veggie You may be able to do some of these, others not.

Have you had a medical check up? I had blood work done recently and they found that I was deficient in iron. Since this diet doesn't promote beef products, I try to get it from my veggies and other sources. Perhaps seeing your doctor may give you some answers. I'm just concerned that this just started when you started this diet. Maybe ask Heather what she thinks.

#368631 - 11/23/12 02:16 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

plant sources of iron are not as good as animal sources as they are not easily absorbed. try eating venison to boost your iron levels. shrimp is good for boosting zinc, another element your diet is probably lacking.

spinach is high in IF, so make sure you have it with a SFS. you could indeed have steamed carrots (excellent idea), courgettes, baked peeled peppers. swedes and parsnips could work well. sweet potato is also v healthy.

quinoa is a wholegrain and v high in IF so you may want to eat it with an SFS (or not at all).

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 620 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5231

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review