All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to IBS, really picky eater, having problems
      #368311 - 10/20/12 07:58 AM
melmer

Reged: 09/27/12

I just purchased the Diet Kit #2 and have been using the products for about two weeks now. I'm also taking Librax (prescription) three times a day and Lorcet Plus (for pain attacks). I just had another attack (they're happening about once a month). I am really constipated for about two weeks, then the attack happens, I get really hot and sweaty, extreme pain, pressure in my head, etc. and then explosive diarrhea. I read somewhere else that someone said it's the "feeling of imminent death"...that's basically it. I've had two surgeries in the past two months (doctors thought it was my gallbladder, than my appendix, they pulled both). I've finally been diagnosed with IBS and the Librax and pain meds are helping a bit. The peppermint capsules have been the best help, but the fiber so far, hasn't done much. I assume it will take that a bit longer to start working. The diet is my big problem. I've gotten so used to not eating over the past few years (to avoid bathroom problems), I've only got a handful of foods that I actually like. I read Heather's cookbook and while a lot of the recipes sound good, I wouldn't eat them right now because I don't like the foods. Does anyone have some really plain, basic recipes, snacks, etc. that I could try. The only vegetable I eat is corn, I like pretty much all fruits, and chicken is my favorite "meat". Also, does anyone have any tricks to train yourself to eat new foods that you don't particularly like. The attack I had last night was the worst I've experienced. Thankfully I was at my parents house and they are wonderful. I collapsed on the bathroom floor and they got me into a bed and stayed with me until I finally went to the bathroom and started feeling better. This morning I feel really weak and starving, but I'm terrified to eat or drink anything. I drank water last night during the attack and it triggered violent vomiting. I'm dying of thirst right now, and I feel like my electrolytes are out of whack. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post on any message board, so I'm not sure if I posted in the right spot, hopefully I did. Thank you all in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to IBS, really picky eater, having problems new
      #368312 - 10/20/12 10:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Glad to hear the peppermint caps are working. Corn and other high insoluble fiber veggies can be a problem. You might find it useful to read Heather's description about the problems with high insoluble fiber foods. You must get enough fluids - at least a couple of liters of water each day.

Over the past few years there has been a diet designed by a GI doctor and a registered dietitian that has helped many people with functional bowel disorders like IBS. The diet is called the FODMAP diet and you can read about it the first two links in my signature. This diet has been clinically tested on a large number of IBS patients in the UK and Australia and a large trial is underway in the US. Individuals that adhere to the diet report 60-80% relief from IBS symptoms. A lot of people on this board follow Heather's diet along with the FODMAP diet with good success.

Ask lots of questions

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368412 - 11/04/12 10:14 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I am not new to IBS but I am also a v picky eater. There are foods which are apparently IBS-safe, such as parsnips, swedes, sweet potato, barley. I simply can't eat these foods as their sickeningly sweet taste just makes me want to throw up. I only relatively recently (2 years ago) developed this revulsion towards them and I have tried eating them again but I simply can't. I am not a huge fan of cooked carrots either (although I do force them down my throat occasionally or carrot juice is more tolerable for me), rice I eat sometimes but not a huge fan again, tomato puree (tomato paste) I simply can't incorporate into anything I eat as it's so sharp and just distasteful to me, but I drink tomato juice for lycopene instead, which I actually really like. I am not a huge fan of meat anymore (I used to eat a lot of chicken breast in the past), although I still eat chicken and smoked salmon, and occasionally shrimp. But these days I try to eat as vegan as I possibly can. Peanut butter is OK but v high in fat so I can only have a small amount at once.
same with other nuts, high in fat, and high in IF too.

Now what do I eat then..? extremely few foods, basically I alternate two types of food:
1. porridge (cooked with water and a bit of cinnamon and cocoa powder) with raw oranges/blueberries (and SF supplement)/ cantaloupe/strawberries when in season.
2. sourdough bread with raw bell-peppers/ a low fat red pepper houmous I buy from Sainsbury's (other houmous I don't like and is also too high in fat) and overboiled soft broccoli that I mash up and make into a paste, ie spread with a bit of salt and low sugar low salt ketchup. Both broccoli and houmous may be problematic though, I tend to tolerate them well enough, although they do cause me bloating. But they are extremely healthy, I love them and I need to eat something. Rather bloated than dead on account of starvation. I eat one commercial type boiled tikka season no milk chicken breast from Sainsbury's and smoked salmon with bread too.

I sometimes eat boiled potatoes and boiled spinach (with SF supplement). But it's generally bread and porridge and not much else - I've been eating like this for the past months. I don't tend to tire of them.

As I said I tried to like the foods I am picky about, but yet to find a way to do so. I have no idea why and would actually quite like to know, as I am a rational person otherwise, yet can't seem to rule my taste buds it seems.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#368413 - 11/04/12 05:43 PM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Welcome! I can totally relate to your experience with the 'attack'...I get cramping, hot and sweaty, then I almost pass out, then the explosive diarrhea...I had gone several months this time and just when I thought things were going great....they weren't I use a heating pad on my stomach and drink alot of peppermint tea to calm things down. For me, it can take a week or more sometimes to get back to normal!

I eat alot of chicken and turkey (breast only). I combine them with boiled or baked potatoes. Sometimes I will make white rice add cut up chicken or turkey, a little broth and seasonings of your choice (I don't do alot of seasoning but I like basil and a little thyme). I will also do the same thing with pasta (gluten free). Often I will add well cooked, peeled carrots to this dish as well. You can add or change it many ways depending on what vegetables you can eat or what seasonings you like. That way you don't feel like you are eating the same thing.

For breakfast I usually eat hot or cold rice cereal with a little almond or coconut milk or gluten free toast or waffles.

I'm afraid I don't experiment with new foods alot. If it doesn't appeal to me there isn't much I can do to force myself to eat it! Sometimes I get very sick of chicken and turkey but, for the most part I just stick with it.

I agree with Syl about the corn...very difficult to digest...I could not eat it at all.

Glad you found this board...I have found the best information here and if you don't find it, just ask:) We're all here to help!

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review