All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can't kick the bloating??
      #368251 - 09/27/12 10:23 AM
MeghanM

Reged: 06/21/12

Hi everyone,

Been on Heather's diet for about 3 months now, and WOW, what a world of difference! I am IBS-A so it took a lot of doing to get my symptoms in check, but I haven't felt this confident or healthy in YEARS. I am so grateful for Heather and this whole community for the support!!

That being said, I have a major lingering issue I cannot seem to resolve. I have gotten my C and D under control, but the gas and bloating is still out of control, no matter what I do. I have never been a calories counter and to be honest I find calculating fat content and all the things that go with it a little daunting. But if that's what it takes to get rid of this bloating, I will have to learn!

I have eliminated all the trigger foods, do my best to follow the soluble fiber always and first creed, am working my way up to a good dose of Acacia fiber (been on that about ~3 weeks so it's very slow and low dose), and regularly drink several cups of fennel and/or peppermint tea a day. I also am super picky at restaurants if I go out, and try to do a lot of cooking myself. All of this has helped to some extent (and really helped my other symptoms), but almost every day I look like I have the belly of someone who is several months pregnant.

Am I eating too much fat in one sitting? Do some people have issues with sugars that I should maybe consider?
I'm at my wit's end here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't kick the bloating?? new
      #368252 - 09/27/12 11:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might complement Heather's diet with the FODMAP approach which is a clinically tested dietary approach for managing functional GI disorders such as IBS. This approach is designed to reduce bloating. You can read about the FODMAP approach in the first two articles linked to in my signature. Many individuals on the board use the FODMAP approach inconjunction with Heather's diet with reasonable success. This approach will also address issues about specific sugars (e.g. lactose and fructose) that you asked about.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368253 - 09/27/12 12:34 PM
MeghanM

Hi Syl,

Thanks for replying! I looked at the links in your signature, and will see about trying to incorporate this into my current diet plan.. Would you mind if I PM'd you with a few questions about this?

#368254 - 09/27/12 01:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Unfortunately PM is disabled on the board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368255 - 09/27/12 01:49 PM
MeghanM

Got it, thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review