All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Every food hurts! Don't know where to start. (severe longterm IBS)
      #367998 - 08/03/12 11:39 AM
jrlm

Reged: 08/03/12

I am 20 years old. I have had IBS for years now. I've gone through about 3 awful hard frustrating years of pain almost all the time. Burning, cramping, attacks, etc. It's gotten to the point where I can't really eat much if I want to function at all, and accomplish daily tasks. Gluten free doesn't seem to help much.
I tried heather's diet sort of a few months ago. I don't feel I tried hard enough. I was nervous of eating new things that I haven't eaten in a long time.
Now the doctors have suggested the low FODMAPS diet. I just have a feeling that it's not going to help me a whole lot. A big part of my problem is that my stomach doesn't know how to function or work at all anymore.

If anyone has any suggestions about what diet I should try right now that would be great. I am not opposed to trying heather's diet again. I just feel like wheat is going to hurt me but I don't really know what hurts me anymore so I could be completely wrong!

Help!

Jess.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Every food hurts! Don't know where to start. (severe longterm IBS) new
      #367999 - 08/03/12 11:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You doctor made an excellent suggestion. The FODMAP diet has been clinically shown to reduce IBS symptoms 70-80%. Many of on the board use Heather's diet in conjunction with the low FODMAP diet with good success.

The first two links in my signature are two articles that discuss the low FODMAP diet. Unfortunately, they don't address the problems with known IBS triggers such as alcohol, caffeine, fat, high insoluble fiber, etc. Heather addresses these sort of trigger foods very well.

Ask lots of questions there are many knowledgeable individuals on the board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368000 - 08/03/12 12:06 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

So sorry your suffering are you ibs d or c? Have you tried eating the break the cycle soluable fiber foods for about a week to break the cycle? Sometimes the gut needs a reset of gentle foods, then when your feeling better add foods using a combo of food maps and heathers diet, maybe well steamed carrots smashed into potatoes or rice, or a little banana in your cream of rice cereal, or along with rice Chex I would add things really slowly and accept that sometimes when ibs is raging no diet is going to work perfectly, I am currently on my third time around of ibs hypnotherapy, and have found that by doing the tapes I can controle the stress component and ease some symptoms

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#368013 - 08/04/12 01:50 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Sorry and hope others don't mind, but I'm gonna quote myself again. I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago and was sceptical regarding whether diet can really help, but I've found it can, it's just really difficult to figure out your exact sensitivities. so here is my two-pence:

'The diet solution is twofold:

A. follow the four EFI rules:
1. no alcohol
2. no caffeine
3. less insoluble fibre than soluble fibre per meals (peel, deseed and cook until soft) (use a soluble fibre supplement)
4. limited fat per meals - one meal calories coming from fat:25% maximum. (1g fat has 9kcal, 1g carb has 4kcal, 1g protein has 4kcal)

-rough guide fibre content of foods (actual fibre proportions and content depends on variety and ripeness):
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
-fat content of oil - 1 tablespoonful of oil has 120kcal coming from fat!! (e.g. 100g raw chicken breast has 110kcal from other, 1 medium potato has 150kcal: so you can safely cook 200g of raw chicken breasts with that one tbpsoonful of oil and one boiled medium potato)

B. follow the FODMAP guidelines simultaneously:
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

Safest foods to eat would be (eat them for a week or two at least): porridge (cooked in water), boiled/baked potatoes, cooled white rice, grilled chicken breast, shrimp, white fish, boiled carrots, peeled baked peppers, peeled cooked courgette (ie zucchini), tomato paste, orange juice, no-pulp-berry juice and a bit of fat with each meal (salmon/olive oil to mention two of the healthiest options, but do count the kcals here, see above).

Incredibly restricted I know but I think you are extremely unlikely to have trouble from these foods and once your gut has calmed down after a week or so, you may experiment with adding different foods back into your diet one by one to see whether you can tolerate them. A food you can't tolerate may bother you within a couple of hours up to three days.

Normal bowel movements are always easy to pass and they number maximum 3 bowel movements per day & minimum 3 bowel movements per week.

Spasmodic pain and bloating may never be completely eliminated, but will probably be greatly reduced through adherence to this diet. '

Hope this helps.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2666 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review