All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What does stable mean?
      #367983 - 08/02/12 11:20 AM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Hey there
So, I'm new here, new to all of this really. I've started reading Heather's 'First Year' book (the other one's in the post!) and have been looking around on here. Have (lots of) questions :-$ Figure it's best to separate different things into different posts, so here goes...

I keep reading about people being "stable". Sorry if this is a stupid question... does this mean having no IBS symptoms at all (thanks to having found the right diet/lifestyle), i.e. no pain, no diarrhoea, no constipation, no horrible noises...?! Or does it mean still putting up with all those things, but less of them, or them being more predictable? Or having the symptoms but having found a way to live your life around them?

It's only been 6 months since I saw my dr about IBS, but the symptoms had been going on way longer... and I know I used to eat whatever I wanted and never have any problems, but at the same time I can't actually remember what that feels like - physically I mean. To be able to go to the toilet "normally", not to have to get up extra early to leave time to try and go to the loo, planning ways to cope (or, often, refuse) invitations to eat with other people...

Guess I'm scared of gettng my hopes up too much!

Anyone understand?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What does stable mean? new
      #367985 - 08/02/12 11:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Generally speaking stable means that you can get on with your day without IBS symptoms interfering too much. In some case individuals with mild IBS may feel relatively symptom free as long as they stick with the diet. It does not mean that you IBS is cured.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368003 - 08/03/12 12:18 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Stable means as symptom-free as possible. I have never been able to eat to eliminate bloating completely but by adhering to my diet I have no other complaints (no pain, no noises, no D, no C).

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#368010 - 08/04/12 01:34 AM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Thanks Syl and Susie. I guess it takes a long time to get to that point though?

#368012 - 08/04/12 01:42 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I think it depends on the individual and subtype of IBS. IBS-D is quicker to get under control.

Let me post this for you too, as it may help, here's my basic summary of how to eat!

'The diet solution is twofold:

A. follow the four EFI rules:
1. no alcohol
2. no caffeine
3. less insoluble fibre than soluble fibre per meals (peel, deseed and cook until soft) (use a soluble fibre supplement)
4. limited fat per meals - one meal calories coming from fat:25% maximum. (1g fat has 9kcal, 1g carb has 4kcal, 1g protein has 4kcal)

-rough guide fibre content of foods (actual fibre proportions and content depends on variety and ripeness):
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
-fat content of oil - 1 tablespoonful of oil has 120kcal coming from fat!! (e.g. 100g raw chicken breast has 110kcal from other, 1 medium potato has 150kcal: so you can safely cook 200g of raw chicken breasts with that one tbpsoonful of oil and one boiled medium potato)

B. follow the FODMAP guidelines simultaneously:
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

Safest foods to eat would be (eat them for a week or two at least): porridge (cooked in water), boiled/baked potatoes, cooled white rice, grilled chicken breast, shrimp, white fish, boiled carrots, peeled baked peppers, peeled cooked courgette (ie zucchini), tomato paste, orange juice, no-pulp-berry juice and a bit of fat with each meal (salmon/olive oil to mention two of the healthiest options, but do count the kcals here, see above).

Incredibly restricted I know but I think you are extremely unlikely to have trouble from these foods and once your gut has calmed down after a week or so, you may experiment with adding different foods back into your diet one by one to see whether you can tolerate them. A food you can't tolerate may bother you within a couple of hours up to three days.

Normal bowel movements are always easy to pass and they number maximum 3 bowel movements per day & minimum 3 bowel movements per week.

Spasmodic pain and bloating may never be completely eliminated, but will probably be greatly reduced through adherence to this diet. '

Hope this is of some use.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3081 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review