All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best OTC medication for upper GI issues
      #367925 - 07/26/12 02:44 PM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Hey everyone,

In the past I haven't had many upper GI issues, but over the past couple months I've had a lot of belching and upper GI discomfort. My throat is feeling quite sore from the reflux.

What are the best OTC medications for upper GI issues? Also, I gather that peppermint oil isn't that good to be taking if there are upper GI issues present - have others heard that too?

Thanks,
Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best OTC medication for upper GI issues new
      #367930 - 07/26/12 10:17 PM
dogsled

Reged: 07/16/12

See my reply to your other post to get my thoughts about peppermint oil.

Have you been tested for h. pylori? I had upper GI issues for years and I came up positive for h. pylori (on a stool test that was run for different reasons). I did two weeks of hardcore antibiotics (Helidac therapy) and omeprazole (Prilosec), and I swear there was one night when I felt all those nasties clinging to my innards for dear life and I basically felt like puking for the whole 14 days, but after I lived through it, I tested clean and my upper GI problems all but disappeared. That was about 18 months ago. Then I popped a peppermint cap the other morning and I had a couple days of renewed symptoms afterward. I actually took famitodine (Pepcid) one night to cut the hot/cold mint sensation. It helped, and tonight for the first night since I took the peppermint on Sunday, I don't feel that hot/cold minty feeling creeping back like an old ghost.

Those are the two OTC meds I've taken--I prefer not to take anything because I'm unclear on whether upper GI symptoms are too much acid or too little. But when I need something in order to calm upper GI symptoms, those have helped, and I take them so rarely that any drawbacks seem minor.

#367933 - 07/27/12 06:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you discussed your upper GI problems with your GP or GI doctor?

If you have GERD then reflux can give you upper GI problems. This is a problem that should be addressed with your doctor sooner than later because if left for too long the problem can get more serious.

Peppermint oil can make upper GI symptoms worse.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367959 - 07/29/12 06:47 PM
Desert Phoenix

Hi Syl,

I only just realized I have acid reflux (at least I think that's what it is). I've had a chronic sore throat and when I brought this up with my GP, we realized it is likely due to my upper GI issues.

In my case, I don't have severe heartburn, but I have a lot of burping when I lie down at night. This causes me to get up sometimes because it gives me a feeling of discomfort. However, I generally don't notice the acute pain of heartburn, so I'm not sure if what I have is acid reflux or not.

chris

#367964 - 07/30/12 08:52 AM
Desert Phoenix

Thanks for sharing, dogsled. I just had blood drawn to test for h.pylori.

All best,
Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review