All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
insomnia and IBS
      #367886 - 07/23/12 11:06 AM
Desert Phoenix

Reged: 12/17/03

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else can relate. I have IBS-D and have really struggled with insomnia for the past six months. It's making it difficult to cope with work and the other things in life.

Anyway, my sense is that my IBS symptoms are are least partly to blame for my insomnia. Specifically, my stomach just feels uncomfortable and unsettled and frequently I'll have lots of painful gas that keeps me up. Strangely, this particular symptom is much worse if I'm lying down - before I go to bed and if I get up during the night - this symptom is more manageable.

Also, I now seem to have a lot of upper GI issues, which is fairly new for me. So in addition to the above issues, I often feel like I have to sit up and belch in order to release air build-up in my upper GI tract.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has these symptoms and whether you've found anything that helps. I have wondered if maybe what I'm experienced could be indicative of small intestinal bacterial overload, but that's basically just a shot in the dark.

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: insomnia and IBS new
      #367887 - 07/23/12 11:26 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are some research finding that suggest distrubed sleep patterns in individuals with IBS ( see Sleep disorders and gastrointestinal symptoms: chicken, egg or vicious cycle? and Sleep and gastric function in irritable bowel syndrome: derailing the brain-gut axis ). Sleep distrubances are not indicative of SIBO.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367888 - 07/23/12 11:57 AM
Desert Phoenix

Thanks again, Syl :-)

Just downloaded the articles.

~Chris

#367893 - 07/23/12 04:17 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

IBS and insomnia are very common.

In addition to diet, supplements, etc. you may want to consider clinical hypnotherapy for IBS - in addition to helping with symptoms, it does greatly improve insomnia - most people report that they sleep better, don't wake up later, and are generally more relaxed overall, even before the actual IBS is addressed, so perhaps something to consider, especially if you are not into taking meds for insomnia - overall cost effective as well.

Take a look at the link for Hypnosis for IBS to the left as well as the links below if you are interested. Happy to answer any questions as well - take care!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#367902 - 07/24/12 02:36 PM
Desert Phoenix

Thanks for the advice about the hypnotherapy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review