All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Polykaraya (fibre supplement)
      #367858 - 07/21/12 03:39 AM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Hello,

I am new to the forum - not been able to find anything on the things I was searching for, but please point me in the right direction if I've missed something!

My main question is about fibre supplements - specifically "Poly-karaya" which my doctor has just prescribed. I am living in France, so perhaps the supplements available here are different, and that is why I can't find anything on these message boards. What I'm worried about is that in the section on here about supplements, it mentions specific brands/types which should be avoided. Does any of the info apply to Polykaraya?

This is the info from the packet:
1 sachet = 10g. Ingredients: 4g karaya gum, 2g polyvinylpolypyrrolidone, 4g saccharose (= sucrose?).

Can you take fibre supplements like this occasionally (i.e. before eating out or on a particularly bad day), or do you have to take them regularly for them to work?

Also:
I have been taking medication for IBS since January when I first spoke to my UK doctor about IBS (initially Mebeverine 135mg 3x daily, prescribed in the UK, then Trimebutine Maleate 200mg 3x daily, prescribed when I moved to France as Mebeverine isn't available here). Alongside this I have also been taking enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules (0.2ml) 3x daily.

Is it normal/ok to be taking *all* these things?! I.e. mediciation + peppermint tablets + fibre supplements?! My UK doctor started me on the first tablets as soon as I went to her about IBS, and when I moved here, the French doctor just gave me the "equivalent" tablets, + added in the fibre supplements on top.

I haven't tried the fibre supplement yet, but it's been 6 months since I started the medication... I'm terrified that any change I make will result in unmanageable symptoms + ruin the stability I have (sort of) had for the past couple of months :-$

Sorry, this is rather long! If there's a better place to post my questions then please let me know!

Edited by hec204 (07/21/12 03:44 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Polykaraya (fibre supplement) new
      #367859 - 07/21/12 05:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Karaya gum is a soluble fiber, polyvinylpolypyrrolidone is an indigestible additive used as a binder and saccharose is sucrose.

It is might be best to take this soluble fiber supplement regularly.

It is not uncommon for individuals with IBS to take a soluble fiber supplement, peppermint capsules and medication at the same time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367899 - 07/24/12 11:50 AM
hec204

Hi,

Thanks. Sorry, have only just seen your reply - hadn't got my account setup to email me notifications.

So how do I tell if polykaraya is a good soluble fibre supplement or not? I read in an intro/general section on here that some are better than others for IBS, and also that some are particulary problematic if you are prone to wind/bloating - wind/noises in my stomach/intestines are one of the worst things for me, so I definitely don't want to take anything which might make that worse!!

#367905 - 07/24/12 03:48 PM
Syl

I don't know this soluble fiber supplement. Perhaps it might be worth while trying a small dose to see if you have any negative effects. Go slowly and you can figure it out

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368009 - 08/04/12 01:29 AM
hec204

Hello

What do you consider a small dose? The sachets are 10mg each, and the doctor said to take it 3 times a day, with a glass of water before food. Should I take half a packet 3 times a day or would that still be quite a big dose given it's the first time I'm trying a supplement?

#368014 - 08/04/12 04:48 AM
Syl

Sure - that is a reasonable way to start.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review