All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight issue
      #367805 - 07/16/12 02:47 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Since last fall my diet has been very bad. I could only eat about 6 ingredients.
I could eat normal quantities though, but I mostly lacked protein, calcium and probably some vitamins.

For the last 2 months I'm doing better again! I'm able to eat chicken, bell peppers (w/out skin), banana and all rice products (incl rice milk) again.. So I'm eating a much healthier (and more tastfull) diet. But not more quantity.

Last year I lost some weight off course. Not really much, but people told me my face was very skinny, I probably lost mostly muscle. Since I'm eating healthier again I'm gaining weight very fast. But now I still gaining and gaining..!

I'm not overweight but also don't really like this either! Before the relapse last fall I ate about the same as I do now (although some more fish and insoluble fiber), but I had a lower and stable weight. Which I felt was perfect for me. I could eat as much as I wanted.

I guess this fast gaining is a result of the very poor diet; my body is now compensating..?
But I'm not sure how much to eat now? Should I eat less? Or should I continue eating as much as I'm doing now and it will compensate back again?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight issue new
      #367814 - 07/17/12 06:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is good to hear that your diet is better. I bet you enjoy eating more variety now. Do you think you had some good results from taking the Ketotifen?

Baring medical conditions and side effects of drugs you only gain weight when consume more calories than you body can use. If you wish to maintain a weight then you either have to decrease caloric consumption or increase physical activity. Are you currently above or below your ideal weight?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367815 - 07/17/12 08:29 AM
mavera

My food definitely tastes better now Although it's still not much variation (but chicken and bell peppers are a lot better than egg whites and zucchini)

I don't think the ketotifen has done anything for me, besides lots of side effects when building it up (very sleepy, headache, dizzy etc). Weaning off was much easier, although I did get stomach pain when weaning off too quickly..

I try to eat exactly or less than a year ago, on almost the same diet. That's the strange thing.. I also keep my sugar intake (rice syrup) low(er).
My physical activity is also like it was a year ago.

I'm now about 8 pounds above my ideal weight! Even more than before I got IBS..
A year ago I could eat as much as I wanted and didn't gain weight.. (was on my ideal weight)

It seems like the yoyo-effect? My metabolism is still on 'starvation' mode or so, because of the poor diet I had for months?

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#367817 - 07/17/12 10:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You are likely getting more calories in your diet now. You need only eat as much as required to keep your weight constant at the ideal level. You body has likely recovered from the poor diet you had previously

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367818 - 07/17/12 11:45 AM
mavera

Perhaps I'm eating more carbs (white bread, rice, pastas) than vegetables and protein..? So I'm not eating a bigger amount of food, but indeed more calories?

My dietician said I don't get enough fiber (he advised me to eat lots of unsoluble fiber ) and protein. I told him that's not going to work (IF), but now I'm trying to eat more of the vegetables I cán eat, also at lunchtime.
I was still a bit hesitative with the (newly re)introduced fruit and veggies.. But for a week now, more veggies and fruit is going fine.
Now I get about 20g fiber/day. According to my dietician, I should eat at least 30g..

A year ago I already tried soluble fiber supplements, but that didn't work for my symptoms then.. (C got worse) Perhaps I should try that again..

Also something strange..
Before the ketotifen I used 1,5 sachet macrogol. While using ketotifen I needed 2 sachets. I assumed I could go back to 1,5 when I'd quit ketotifen. But I still need 2..?? (Even now I'm eating more fiber for a week)

--------------------

#367863 - 07/21/12 09:05 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

For losing weight you need to expend more kcal than you take in. Both diet and exercise are important, the first being the crucial element. The best foods to eat if hunger is an issue is protein-rich/high-water/high-fibre foods. IBS-sufferers have to be v careful with high-fibre foods of course. There are plenty of good choices for protein: lean meat such as chicken/turkey breast or seafood (white fish/shrimp). Porridge (rolled oats cooked in water) seems the most obvious choice for a high-water, high-fibre, healthy and IBS friendly meal. Boiled potatoes are also v filling I find (much more so than either bread or rice).

Exercise is v important for general health and weight management. For weight loss it comes only second to diet as people tend to overestimate the kcal they burn through exercise and underestimate the kcal they eat. Rigorous exercise, such as weight lifting or HIIT cardio: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training ) also makes you ravenously hungry and makes you eat more after, so for quicker weight loss (ie racking up maximum kcal) steady-pace low-intensity cardio seems best suited as your body won't need much time to recover (ie you can do it every day) and you can also carry on longer (an hour instead of just 20 mins).

Lastly, I am not sure about the research here, but I have found (based on my own experience and on the example of my mum, who has last 20kilos since October) that eating small portions (as many as you can/like) throughout the day, instead of the traditional breakfast-dinner-lunch can help you greatly in eating less yet still not feeling hungry. Smaller meals also give you less bloating so they are most commendable from an IBS-point of view too.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review