All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Assistance
      #367557 - 06/04/12 08:46 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

I have posted several times to obtain advice for my IBS. I have Heather's books, the fiber and the fennel tea. I cannot do the peppermint as I also have acid reflux. Last year I totally eliminated dairy, caffeine, red meat, etc from my diet and started to feel better. My son keeps trying to get me to do the Primal (Paleo) diet. He has read that Mark Sisson had IBS and was cured of it doing this diet. However, I am still not able to handle red meat, etc. I really want to lose weight and feel better. I get so overwhelmed and don't know what to eat anymore. I was doing Weight Watchers, but substituting the trigger foods with foods that I could have and I lost almost 20 lbs. I need to lose another 20 lbs and get rid of the bloating, etc. However, I got discouraged with having to count points, etc. It is really difficult to follow a diet when one is limited to what one can eat. I have IBS, diverticulosis, acid reflux, hialta hernia, etc. In addition, I cannot tolerate soy products or legumes. So, what can I eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Assistance new
      #367559 - 06/05/12 04:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You might get your son to read the NHS article on the Paleo diet linked to in this message. No matter what Mark Sisson's says there isn't a cure for IBS.

For information on how to reduce bloating read the first two articles linked to in my signature below. This dietary approach has been clinically tested on a large number of IBS patients in the UK and Australia with good success. A large clinical trial is starting in the US. Many of us on the board us this approach with Heather's approach with good results.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367560 - 06/05/12 07:06 AM
di8286

Could you send me that link (the NHS article)? So, you are saying that Heather's IBS suggestions combined with the FODMAPS approach may work for me? I thought one needed to be under the guidance of a doctor or nutritionist to do the FODMAPS? Can you suggest a book or something on it?

#367561 - 06/05/12 07:12 AM
di8286

You don't have to send the NHS article. I just found it and printed it out. One more question. Do you think that if I followed the Weight Watchers diet (supposed to be a way of life, not a diet), but eliminating the IBS triggers like dairy, red meat, etc. - that would be safe for me? The FODMAPS approach is foreign to me. Wonder if I can do that on my own or not?

#367562 - 06/05/12 07:21 AM
Syl

Yes - combining the FODMAP diet and Heather's diet may work for you. Many people on the board use both together.

You don't need to be under a doctor or nutritionist's guidance to follow the FODMAP diet. Here is a book on the FODMAP diet written by a dietitian: IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet.

I don;t know the Weight Watchers diet but I suspect that it contains high amounts of insoluble fiber from veggies and particularly from raw veggies like salads. You would have to remove or reduce these as well as dairy, red meat, high fat, etc.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367563 - 06/05/12 07:27 AM
di8286

Just wanted to let you know what books I have on the subject: Heather's two books; "If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Nutrition You Can Live with (Tell Me What to Eat" by
Magee, Elaine; and "The Whole-Food Guide to Overcoming Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Strategies and Recipes for Eating Well With IBS, Indigestion, and Other Digestive Disorders (The New Harbinger Whole-Body Healing Series)" by
Knoff, Laura. Are there any good books on the FODMAPS approach. What about this clinical study being done in the US. Where is this being done and how can one participate in it?

#367564 - 06/05/12 07:34 AM
di8286

Syl, I just realized that I have the first book. I have to get it out of storage. We are in such transition right now. Moved back to RI from CA last Fall and are living with our son and grandchildren due to my husband's health issues (early onset Alzeheimer's/Dementia). Anyways,alot of our stuff is in storage. I thought I had the book on my Kindle. Will have to go to the storage to get it out. I now noticed she came out with a second edition. May get that book as well. As far as the Weight Watchers diet, it is basically journaling what you eat, it is low fat, etc. I could do it and just substitute recipes that call for dairy with things like almond or rice cheeses, etc. As far as salads, I find I can eat them (not every day) if I eat them at the end of a meal. I do better with cooked veggies. I still struggle with taking vitamins - always make my stomach nausus.

#367565 - 06/05/12 07:41 AM
Syl

I think I would approach Knoff book with a great deal caution.

The best book on FODMAPs is written by the dietitian who worked with the Dr Gibson the Australian GI doctor who did the original research. Dr. Shepherd's book "Low FODMAP Diet (5th edition)" can be order from this web site. She lives in Australia and the book will be mailed from there.

As I mentioned in my previous email Patsy Catsos' book on the FODMAP diet reported to be good: IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet. I believe she has spent time with Shepherd in Australia learning details of FODMAP approach.

I believe the US study is still in the planning stages. Keep your eyes on the Clincal Trials web site where the details are likely to be posted when it becomes active.

--------------------

IBS Diet Cheat Sheet new
      #367566 - 06/05/12 09:25 AM
di8286

I have been trying to obtain the IBS Diet Cheat Sheet, but keep getting an error message. Not able to pull it up to print it out. Is there any way I can obtain it?

Re: IBS Diet Cheat Sheet new
      #367567 - 06/05/12 10:09 AM
Syl

The Cheat Sheet is a PDF document. If you don't have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed it will give you an error. You can download and install Acrobat Reader from here

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7869 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review