All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Food Intolerances
      #367369 - 05/03/12 07:22 AM
berwin

Reged: 12/20/11

I have been diagnosed with IBS. Before this diagnosis, I had been for food allergy testing (2 times with different doctors) and was found to have an allergy or intolerance to SEVERAL foods.(i.e. spinach, turkey, potatoes, egg whites, basil, oregano....the list goes on) My question is, has anyone else been told they have several food intolerances and/or could this have been the findings due to my IBS? I am trying to follow the IBS diet, but having a hard time due to my limitations with "food intolerances".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Intolerances new
      #367370 - 05/03/12 07:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Were your food sensitivity tested done by a GI or allegry doctor? Or were they done by a naturpathic doctor or at commercial testing lab? Do you recall the name of the test that was used?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367372 - 05/03/12 08:27 AM
berwin

My first testing was done by an allergist and clinical immunologist doctor and was the standard allergy testing, i.e. pin pricks to lower arm to gauge reaction to specific foods. The other testing was done by a naturopath (not sure the name of the testing), and I was given laser acupuncture for allergies. By the way, these tests were done a few years apart. The second doctor did not know the results from the first doctor and both doctors came up with the same allergies/intolerances.

#367373 - 05/03/12 09:02 AM
Syl

Very interesting. The skin prick is quite reliable. The delay reaction blood test is notoriously unreliable. I had a skin test many years ago. Fortunately I have very few allergies.

Unfortunately there is no clinical evidence to support the use of laser acupuncture for allergies. In fact there is an interesting article on the Science-Based Medicine about Biofeedback and Laser for Allergies.

It will be an interesting task to use the Heather's diet with your allergies but it can be done. You might also read the first two links in my signature about a clinical tested diet (FODMAP diet) for managing functional bowel disorders like IBS. It has been shown to reduce IBS symptoms by 70-80%. Many of us on the board use Heather diet in conjunction with the FODMAP diet with reasonable success.

Ask lots of questions. There are many knowledgeable people on the board.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367374 - 05/03/12 09:31 AM
berwin

Thank you for your responses. I am following Heather's diet, with some success (less D) but am gaining weight and am bloated, with pain, all the time. Truthfully, I had read some on the FODMAP approach, but I feel by the time I take into account Heather's diet, FODMAPs approach and also take into account what I already can't tolerate, I will not be able to eat anything at all!! I have just started taking control of my IBS over the past 4-6 months, so I am still working on it and again, I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

#367375 - 05/03/12 10:09 AM
Syl

Are you IBS-C or IBS-D?

--------------------

#367376 - 05/03/12 10:54 AM
berwin

Before going on Heather's diet, I was IBS-D. Now, I don't go for three to four days, and then I can't stop going for one to two days and the cycle starts all over again.

#367377 - 05/03/12 11:48 AM
Syl

Gosh - you are IBS-A. It really might be worth looking at the FODMAP approach.

Maybe other people have some suggestions.

--------------------

#367378 - 05/03/12 12:07 PM
berwin

Okay, I am new to this. IBS-D and IBS-C I can figure out. What is IBS-A?

#367379 - 05/03/12 01:01 PM
berwin

Nevermind, I just finished reading more on the message boards and found out what it means. I have a lot of reading and learning to do. Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3277 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7302

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review