Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a fructose question
      #367265 - 04/17/12 07:57 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi everyone,
i have been eating sarah lee plain bagles for about five years, they have some high fructose corn syrup here is the ingredient list

SARA LEE, DELUXE PRE-SLICED PLAIN BAGELS

INGREDIENTS: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following Salt, Yeast, Calcium Propionate, and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Distilled Vinegar, Calcium Sulfate, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of the Following Mono And Diglycerides, Ascorbic Acid, Enzymes), Xanthan Gum, Rice Flour, Yellow Corn Meal, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour.

it's pretty far down on the list and the people at sarah lee who were actually very fourth coming with information informed me that there was probably half a gram or less per bagel, here is my question, this is the only thing i eat with any with any fructose at all ( as i mentioned in an earlier post i've been on btc far too long) i would like to start adding things like apple sauce, and apple butter, i used to be able to eat this fairly regularly (it's been about two years) so this is what i'm wondering should i eleminate the one thing with fructose in it and see if it helps, thus making sure I have no chance of fructose mal, or is this amount so small that i should assume i'm safe and start eating things again? mostly i want to bake with the apple sauce and make some safe breads to help me get some nutrition back into my sad diet. I can't at this time go and get the test unfortunatly so i thought i'd ask for ideas here

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a fructose question new
      #367266 - 04/17/12 08:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you have a positive test for fructose malabsorption then it is best to avoid any foods that contain high fructose corn syrup and apples & applesauce.

If you have not been tested then it is something you will have to experiment to find out if you can tolerate small amounts of high fructose corn syrup and foods with excess fructose such as apples & applesauce.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367267 - 04/17/12 11:09 AM
Dizzy

i haven't been tested, if i do cut out the bagles how long before i would see a difference? are we talking a week or two? with the exception of the bagles, and the trace amount in them, the only food map i eat is wheat,i went wheat free about 2 years ago for six weeks and never noticed a bit of difference, so i doubt i have wheat problems, in fact bread and crackers always settle my stomach do you think the better course of action is to get rid off the bagel for a couple weeks entirely, or to assume that i'm ok and try incorporating the apple sauce in baked goods?

--------------------

#367270 - 04/17/12 01:57 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You would likely know in a week. Unfortunately, while the bagels do contain low amounts of high fructose corn syrup they do not contain trace amounts. The amount is large enough to cause many individuals with fructose malabsorption problems.

If removing the bagels does not reduce symptoms then put them back in your diet and perhaps add some applesauce. Leave the apples until later.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367271 - 04/17/12 02:11 PM
Dizzy

thanks so much this is exactly what i'll do, i just bought a new pack so i'll finish what have of them and next time i'll buy a no fructose brand
these look like a good alternative

Thomas'® Plain Bagels

Ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, SALT, YEAST, CORNMEAL, WHEAT GLUTEN, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, PRESERVATIVES (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID), GUAR GUM, CITRIC ACID, MALTODEXTRIN, ALGIN, SOY LECITHIN, SOY FLOUR.

and if that works out as being ok then i'll make something with the apple sauce !

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 743 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2672

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review