All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
reaching out for some help
      #367208 - 04/10/12 04:41 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi everyone, so i have been on break the cycle now for a long time (months) pretty much eating crackers, white bread, bagles, rice, and cream of rice cereal, and instant potatoes, i am severly constipated, i know not a shock, i take align and i am able to have a small hard painful bowl movement everyday or every other day. I am pretty sure i am suffering from malutrition i have very little energy, sleeping problems, dry skin, brittle teeth nails and hair and a bmi of 17.5 which is under weight, i weight 96 pounds ( up from 90) and am fighting to put weight back on. unfortunatly every time i add food into my diet, well cooked carrots, or other veggies or fruits i end up with alot of pain and D, this has resulted in a food phobia/eatig disorder that i was getting hypno therapy for, but my doctor has broken her ankle and we are stalled from sessions for six weeks, I've completed michael mahoneys audio program for ibs twice, and i still can't let go of the fear and paranoia, i have not been stable in over two years, and everytime i eat anything with some nutritional value my stomach goes crazy and gets sick, part of that is of course the anxiety. I do't want to wait six weeks before i eat real food while i'm waiting for my therapists return, can anyone relate to the intense food phobia? and has anyone recovered from it? i am low in alot of vitemans and nutrients and am getting pretty scared, any help or ideas would be wonderful thanks so much to you all

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: reaching out for some help new
      #367209 - 04/11/12 06:22 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Hi Dizzy.

I am sorry to hear of your constipation problems. I am ibs-d but eat many of the same foods as you. Specifically, I eat Cream of Rice every morning and sometimes rice or rice pasta with lunch. However, I have heard that rice is "binding" and not good for constipation. Have you tried oat meal?

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#367210 - 04/11/12 06:31 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

do you not eat protein and fat, just carbs?
And what is cream of rice? Has it got milk or dairy in it?
if you don't eat fruit and veggies (the adding of which means problems you said) are you OK then or even then you have C?

have you tried adding other foods one by one and then waiting 3 days before introducing anything else? I used to not wait and tried too many things at once and that always results in confusion. I also didn't eat nuts for more than a year because I erroneously associated it with problems. only to try them later and see no problems. that got rid of my food phobia.

well-cooked carrots should have the same proportion of IF and SF as bread! that's what science tells us! ie you should be able to tolerate it.

I used to be really really afraid of eating too much IF, then I saw this and saw how I can eat a lot of things:
http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
and just generally looked into the whole science thing and that helped me overcome my fears. knowledge is power.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#367215 - 04/11/12 08:16 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Cream of Rice Cereal is finely ground white rice - nothing else.

Cheers

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#367216 - 04/11/12 08:21 AM
Dizzy

my diet is totally unhealthy, i'm not eating anything but white foods, no fruit no veggies, no protien, no dairy, no soy or dairy substitutes. I have read heathers books, i know the diet, i used to follow it, i ate oatmeal, fruit veggies, chicken, tofu, smoothies, nut butters, i was never really stable though, and i followed efi very closely for a couple years, the i started getting paranoid, everytime i felt sick i'd cut something out of my diet, till now i'm down to eating practically nothing, i'm afraid of rice chex, i'm afraid to add pretzels, i will only eat one type of bread, i have heathers tummy fiber and am terrified to take it, as i said, i'm in therapy, but my doctor is currently unavailable, i'm really looking for ideas how people got over anxiety, i now how to eat, i know what is on efi, and what my personal triggers were in the past, and right now i have a blank slate of soluble fiber foundation, i just need to have the courage to eat, even if that means feelling worse for a while, i was hoping someone here had some insight on dealling with those high leval anxieties.

--------------------

#367218 - 04/11/12 01:02 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

oh dear, doesn't sound v good. but I can imagine that not eating protein and fats but purely carbs maybe exacerbates these fears. maybe add in chicken breast? cook it in oil spray. protein from white has never caused anyone any digestive issues I think.

but wishing you the v best of luck. I think you know what's wrong and seem to be aware of the problems yet the solution isn't really easy. hypnosis and therapy seem the most promising perhaps? hope you'll feel better soon!

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#367219 - 04/11/12 01:54 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Almost the same poor diet here..
I eat white wheat (bread, breadsticks, pasta etc) and potatoes (but no rice!). I can eat carrots and courgettes (skinless) and for protein only eggwhites.. No sugar, but I can eat ricesyrup. Little bit of fat. That's it.
I mostly lack calcium. And I just hate eating the same every single day.

About six months ago I could eat chicken&all kind of fish, bell peppers and beets, rice and rice milk, bananas.. But all of a sudden, my symptoms got worse and I had to cut them all out to get rid of the symptoms again..

I actually don't think I have food phobia, it doesn't feel that way...
Before, with my previous diet, I was trying foods all the time, but I just kept getting very sick of almost anything I tried.. Every single time.
I don't feel scared to try them, I just don't want to feel sick and in terrible pain constantly. I try something every once in a while, but it gives me symptoms every single time.
So yes, I get a little scared of trying, but it doesn't feel like a phobia. It's just realistic in my opinion..??

I use medication (otherwise I'm in pain constantly) and I also use macrogol for my C. I'm going to try antidepressants soon probably.
Don't you use anything for your constipation?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#367220 - 04/11/12 02:15 PM
Dizzy

hi thanks so much for responding, i hope we are both feeling better soon, my phobia started pretty simple i don't want to add things to my diet because i will feel sick, i let this thought really take hold of me, and it became a self fullfilling prophecy, every time i added i food the anxiety would make me sick, i think about food all the time, i crave things, like carrots or banana bread, but i can't seem to make myself eat them, i will not eat any food anyone else has made, i can't even drink water at restaurants, becasue i don't trust them to have cleaned everythig enough for me. i feel like a slave to my anxiety, i do have a nutritionist who is working with me and my therapist, and she wants to put me in a recovery (eating disorder program) but they would not follow efi, i think if i could just get to efi i'd feel more normal, but i'm scared to try, heck even the what to eat when you can't eat anything list is healthier then what i'm doing now,

to the previous poster, i've had food poisening from chicken a couple times, so i know that i never want to eat chicken again, i would like to be a petrtarian, ideally, as i did this years ago, in a version of the efi diet and felt awesome, chicken and turkey are not even interesting to me, i barely see them as food, i stopped eating red meat when i was twelve, pork at fifteen and ate chicken about once or twice a year till a couple years ago. i've never liked it or found it sits right, i don't mind chicken broth but actual boneless skinless cooked chicken is totally distasteful to me

--------------------

#367221 - 04/11/12 08:18 PM
nutritionlover

Reged: 09/18/11

I can definitely relate to where you are right now. I am IBS A, and my IBS has been in a flare for the past year after a viral infection. Sometimes it seems that my stomach feels upset no matter what I eat, and I too have cut far too many foods out. I also have mild post viral gastroparesis which makes me extremely full all the time, so I eat almost no protein (it makes it worse). My diet isn't quite as limited as yours, but I mostly subsist off my "safe" starches, veggies and fruits. I am definitely stuck in a rut and not getting enough fiber, fats or protein, but am afraid to try new things. If it's any consolation, my super sensitive stomach does tolerate carrots, pureed winter squash and sweet potatoes very well. Baby food is also a good way to get fruits, and I even add a little bit of the green baby veggies to my instant potatoes (they are a staple for me too lol). I too am afraid to eat in restaurants or have other people cook for me, because this all was triggered from a meal I ate at a restaurant. I wish I could offer more advice, but I can completely relate and sympathize with everything you're going through!

--------------------
IBS A (more D than C). Severe GERD & Hiatal Hernia as well.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#367231 - 04/12/12 08:09 AM
Dizzy

thanks so much, it's nice to have someone understand, i am going to try carrots again, and i have lots of baby foods, so i can try and sneak them i the rice and potatoes, hopefully we will both feeling better soon

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1810 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8228

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review