All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
re: Nut butters
      #367181 - 04/03/12 08:27 AM
keywest1

Reged: 05/11/11

Hi! I have been doing well with the diet, book, etc. - so thanks to Heather & all of you that ask great (and relevant) questions!

My question is: is nut butter (almond, cashew, etc.) permitted? I noticed a recipe for roll-ups with peanut butter, but I cannot eat peanuts. The almond or cashew butter I have in mind is high-quality, roasted/salted and minimally processed, and smooth (not chunky).

And, if these butters ARE permissible, should they be eaten with the same rule (soluble fiber eaten beforehand) or can I eat it on brown rice crackers or rice cakes or on a banana?

Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: re: Nut butters new
      #367185 - 04/03/12 10:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nut butter is listed on the insoluble fiber page

As you likely know peanuts are not a nut but a legume. I can handle peanut butter but I cannot handle smooth almond or cashew butter due to the high insoluble fiber content. If you can handle brown rice cakes which I cannot eat either then you maybe able to handle small amounts of nut butter. It is likely something you will have to experiment with.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367191 - 04/03/12 03:01 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You will have to experiment a bit. Since I am a vegetarian, I do rely on nut butters. I don't eat alot of it, because of the high fat content (although good fat), but I do eat some kind of nut butter daily. I usually have a few crackers with macadamia butter for a snack at work.

Try a small amount and see how it affects you and go from there. Everyone is different so will have to find your tolerance. Heather's guidelines are great and helpful, but you still need to experiment a bit to find out what you can or cannot handle, whether considered "safe" or "unsafe". By the way, I hate those words. We need to find a better way to phrase it.

#367194 - 04/04/12 02:20 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Morning Syl,

I'm surprised to hear that you eat peanut butter as I know you're following the FODMAP diet and I thought legumes were rich in FODMAPS?

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#367195 - 04/04/12 04:53 AM
Syl

I don't have problems with all FODMAPs. For example fructans aren't a problem for me. However, even though peanuts are legume they are not consider a problem due to galactans likes other legumes. Check the third link in my signature.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367199 - 04/04/12 09:26 AM
keywest1

Reged: 05/11/11

I want to say a heart-felt THANK YOU to everyone. You are all posting terms that I am looking up and learning more about each day. I will take everyone's suggestions to heart and experiment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and again - thank you for passing on your experiences and knowledge. After 7 years of suffering, I am finding relief (baby steps!)

#367229 - 04/12/12 07:43 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Thanks. What about peas? I know they're legumes. However, in the article you reference they are reported to be 'well tolerated'.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

#367230 - 04/12/12 07:48 AM
Syl

Not all legumes are a problem. You have to refer to the articles on FODMAPs to know which one are okay and which can be a problem. For example while green peas and peanut butter are okay for FODMAPs snow peas are not.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review